Posted August 21, 2014
I graduated in 1939! 9 aunts and uncles also graduated from '83. It was the equal of any private school. I'm now 87 years old and a retired lawyer

P.S. 83 Donald Hertz 1

Posted December 10, 2012
I was a student at P.S. 83 from K - 8. All I have to say about this school is this: I graduated from this school a couple of years ago, so maybe things have changed, but, while I was there I witnessed so many horrible things. The bullying was relentless. I was bullied so much, that it felt like I didn't have a voice. I couldn't defend myself. And the one time I did, I got punched in the face, and the staff did nothing about it. They did nothing to help me. They said I provoked the other student. I was so ashamed of what I was going through. I was once surrounded by a bunch of older students during the winter, who had been bothering me since the beginning of my 4th grade year. The confrontation ended with them throwing snow in my face. I was so depressed in that school, that I contemplated suicide in 7th grade. But I knew in time, I'd be out of there. Once I graduated, things eventually got better. I became happy again. If your child ever complains about this school, ask them what's wrong. If they tell you they've been bullied take them out of that school immediately. No matter how good you think the school is, it's not worth losing your child. Not all children are as strong as I.

Posted July 27, 2012
P.S. 83 is probably one of if not the best K-8 schools in The Bronx. Located in The beautiful Morris Park section of The Bronx on a clean tree-lined block. The school prepares students for not only the rigors of regular high school but also specialized high schools for those students who are viewed to be able to handle that work load. The teachers there are great, patient and eager to help children to reach there full potential at this level. The extracurricula activities are outstanding (basketball teams, music, dance, soccer etc.). You get a good vibe of a loving environment when you step into this building from everybody from the security guards all the way to the principal. The principal Mrs. Macek is the perfect picture of what the new DOE lacks, she is loving to her staff to her parents and to her students, she's always excessable when you need to meet with her, just the picture and model of what a principal should be like. My child is in the 4th grade at the school, tops in her class, trust me I wouldn't send my child just anywhere, she's in the best school in The Bronx for here level. Check the school out for yourself don't believe me you won't be sorry you did!

P.S. 83 Donald Hertz 4

Posted November 28, 2010
My son has attended this school from Kindergarten to 4th grade so far and he has had exceptional teachers. They communicate with parents through email, phone or note sent home and I value communication skills. I have considered moving to NJ where schools give kids better chances for college, but I am happy with this school so far. I will be watching for the 5th through 8th grades as well.

Posted September 21, 2010
My daughter has been in this school since the third grade and I am very happy with their performance. My experience with the teachers has been nothing short of positive and my daughter has maintained a 95 average so far and she is in her last year (8th grade). I am proud to say she attends this school.

P.S. 83 Donald Hertz 1

Posted September 16, 2010
THIS IS A TERRIBLE SCHOOL,, THE TEACHES FROM WHEN MY SON WAS THERE 8YRS AGO WERE A LITTLE OLDER AND VERY PATIENT ,,MORE MATURE AND THEY TRIED TO HELP HIM SUCCEED AND OVER HIS PROBLEMS WITH READING AND MATH. MY DAUGHTER ATTENDS THIS SCHOOL NOW AND SHE IS A 93 AVERAGE STUDENT SMART AND VERY RESPECTFUL,,ONLY IF YOU SPEAK TO HER THE RIGHT WAY..THESE TEACHES SCREAM AND YELL AT THESE KIDS LIKE THEY ARE DOGS , ANIMALS. THEY ARE LETTING GOOD TEACHERS GO AND PUTTING YOUNG HOT HEAD TEACHERS WITH MO HAWKS AND TATTOOS AND TEACHER WHO DRESS LIKE THEY ARE ON 42ND STREET LOOK TO PICK UP A MAN..ITS TERRIBLE THEY WAY THIS SCHOOL HAS GOTTEN SO BAD. I WISH EVERYONE;S KIDS THE BEST OF LUCK IN THIS SCHOOL..

Posted August 23, 2010
My son graduated 2 yrs ago and my daughter just graduated valedictorian. With the preparation that my daughter received, she was accepted to 2 boarding, private Better Chance schools which top, strong academic students are selected nationwide. Not many public schools can prepare students for something like that. However, I wish the school went K-12 b/c PS 83 is an excellent school. Leadership is very tight, parent coordinator and PA is very involved and most teachers are great and they have a ton of activities not only for students but for parents equally. They have events whether it's dances for students, trips, workshops, fun (movie and games) family nights and dances for parents as well as fund raisers, the school is fenominal all around. This school work like a family and they do everything possible to reach out to parents for involvement. EXCELLENT school.

Posted June 28, 2010
Excellent school. Excellent leadership, Principal does an excellent job at running the school in a structured, organized manner. Teachers are caring and great professionals. definetly one of the best school I have encountered. I am a proud parent of a student of PS 83

Posted June 22, 2010
I'll give this school 5stars because my daughter went to this school and she met a whole bunch of friends.

P.S. 83 Donald Hertz 0

Posted May 05, 2010
I love PS 83 school because the teachers do care that the kids learn. Both my kids were reading in kindergarden. Now my son is 7 and can read and write much better than most 10 year olds that he knows. The work assignments are always high levels and kids are learning a whole lot at an early age. It is important to start good reading and writing skills. PS 83 works hard to make sure kids get a great education. Keep up the great work..

P.S. 83 Donald Hertz
950 Rhinelander Ave, Bronx, NY  10462
(718) 863-1993
Last modified P.S. 83 Donald Hertz is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
P.S. 83 Donald Hertz Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 54 reviews. Top