Bad
Good

I'm a student in this school, and I think that it's not as bad as everyone says it is. I really like my teachers even though they might get on my nerves they're there to help me and the care about education. Even though we may have some problems (with some teachers and students) you have to know that we aren't going to like everyone we meet in life. But other than that, this school is awesome.

it is a shame that the students were not allowed to stay in the auditorium --- that's what it's there for --- the neighborhood needs approvement and there should be more security guards to watch over our students/children, otherwise I am pleased with the school

While the teaching staff remains unchanged, the principal is new this year (2010-11) and is more concerned with appearance than quality. Money has been spent on technology and furniture, but we have to conserve workbooks and copies, because they are not being reordered for next year. The learning for several of the grades has been disrupted by changing programs. The sixth grade in particular has had a tough year and their test scores will probably reflect it. This is a good school going through a rough spell.

today they had an early let out without telling me or my wife ahead of time. my daughter was stuck in the snow storm and was not allowed to wait inside. the security guards and the school has no care for my or anyother parents pride and joy. this school is not in the best area. i am highly upset and i will be going to the school on monday to see about this. i work in a school and when the parents of these children are running late or for any reaon the kids are more than welcom to stay as long as there is a guard.. i said before our children are being thrown to the wolf and all the parents need to get together and get this school in order now.

Its a very good school with good teachers!

My Godson attends PS89, and he tells me about how enjoys going to school there, his teachers are very helpful to him when its needed. The staff are very friendly and courteous towards the parents and teachers. All questions and concerns are answered appropriately and professionally. I vote for PS 89.

this school has no structure. its overcrowded and the students are out of control. however, the school is not to be blamed for all of the problems. the parents are just as responsible. there are so many parents who dont take responsibilty. shame on you. its your child who causes the disruptions and you are to be blamed for it, not the school.

Mr.Rivera is a great principle. I wish he can find a great staff to rally behind him. As a parent, I have noticed that there are just a few good teachers at this school. The rest don`t care and they are very unfriendly. Whenever I visit, I do not get a positive energy from the staff. I feel sorry for the children. I wish them well and Mr. Rivera,hats off to you and continue working hard.

I do not like this school. Too much gang activity. I guess if your child is young and dosen't reconize this type of activity then great. Many teachers from 89 expect for these children to drop out before 10th grade. Teachers are not knowledgeable enough. The school is in need of improvement.Most teacher are going back to school, to be fit to teach your child.The test scores on state exames have not been up tp par.

I've had 2 opportunities to interact with the relatively new principal and he immediately attended to my son's needs and concerns about safety. Kudos to Mr. Rivera for helping me. The rest of the teachers, in my opinion (with the exception of a select few..2 or 3) don't really give a darn about the kids. Some English teachers have poor grammar and spelling. The special education department is incompetent. I feel sorry for the kids that remain there and I wish the principal the very best of luck in his coming years. The one before him did absolutely nothing for the school and had contributed greatly to its downfall. I hope Mr. Rivera can find the right staff to rally behind him and bring the school BACK to where it was 10-15 years ago...an institution for learning and nurturing our children. GOOD LUCK, Mr. Rivera. I hope you succeed!

Last modified P.S. 89 is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.