Bronx, NY

Posted March 14, 2013
As a former student of 142, I echo the sentiments of the teacher below. I entered as a student and graduated under Dr HW Brindle. Where academics were of the utmost importance. Lack of respect and disobedience were never tolerated. Truth be told, we (the students) had such a great fear of that towering man. Looking back, I truely appreciated having Dr Brindle was a principal and role model. To hear that such a great school has diminished in standards and integrity, is so sad.

Posted March 07, 2013
I m a retired faculty member of John Philip Sousa. I served for twenty four years. Dr. Hill Brindle was the Principal when I arrived. The downward cycle of the School started with his replacement who served nine and one half years. He retired under the threat of being fired. Unfortunately, some of the Staff members whom he hired remained. The series of Principals who were goverened by their taste for a Larger Pension, either stay the mandated three years or; were relocated to completed the time needed. The children suffered because neither the City or Union cared! At fault were the parents who wanted "bragging grades' instead of earned grades for their childre.

Posted August 06, 2010
did nothing to stop it if you are a good parent and want the best for your child do not send them to this school

Posted December 09, 2009
I am a 2009 alumni of John Philip Sousa. In graduation I was salutorian because of my many acheivements. As i read over these reviews that were posted by my fellow students I find great humor. To me I believe any school can be great if you want it to be. A school can never be bad, the students are the only ones that can determine that. I attended Sousa for 3 years and I know within myself i never made smart choices so to me i hated the school. On my final year in John Philip Sousa i realized the importance of my education and suddenly i found myself loving this school i claimed i hated.So i recommend this school to anyone who is ready to control their education because if you are ready then you will enjoy John Philip Sousa

Ms 142 John Philip Sousa 0

Posted November 30, 2009
i am an 8th grader in sousa and i like it it has many different programs and the principal is always having educational events where the winner could win money or a gift card for many different stores. So sousa is a very nice school and the teachers teach you like your their own.

Ms 142 John Philip Sousa 3

Posted November 09, 2009
I currently go to Sousa. For the past 3 years (8th grader) this school is good but some the students don't make you concentrate on your work. The school is great but some of the students that attend this school ruins it. I do not recommend this school for a person who is serious on there education. ( Love the teachers, some are serious towards your education).

Posted September 24, 2009

Ms 142 John Philip Sousa 0

Posted August 18, 2009
i am student at Sousa and i think the school is very interesting including the way we learn and meeting the new teachers.the school is the best

Posted August 18, 2009
I am a current student at John Phillip Sousa. I am going to the 7th grade next year, and so far the school is the best. I recommend this school to a lot of my friends parents. And other adults who are looking for a junior high school to send their kid.Sousa has a very fun and interesting ways of learning.

Posted August 09, 2009

Ms 142 John Philip Sousa
3750 Baychester Avenue, Bronx, NY  10466
Last modified Ms 142 John Philip Sousa is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ms 142 John Philip Sousa Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top