Posted December 12, 2013
This school staffs(office) are horrible. Even one star is too much for them. They are definitely discriminating.

Ps 153 Helen Keller 5

Posted September 20, 2013
P.S. 153 Helen Keller is a school that meets the academic and social/emotional needs of the children. From the dedicated principal to the hard-working APs to the passionate teachers and staff, this is a school where learning and leading are valued. The parent coordinator is an amazing resource for parents and students. My daughter just graduated, and the parent coordinator was a truly motivating influence on her, especially as a writer. During my daughter's five year at Helen Keller, I was able to communicate openly and regularly with the administrators and teachers whenever I needed to. The monthly newsletters, school handbook and regular updates always kept us well-informed. The academic expectations of the students has been at a level that helped my daughter grow in all content areas. This is a school where the Common Core Standards are studied and implemented by the staff. There was a wealth of enrichment opportunities throughout the five years, including dance, chorus, robotics, chess, school newpaper, and more. If you're looking for a safe, respectful environment, look no further. The leaders and teachers of Helen Keller have my utmost respect and support always.

Ps 153 Helen Keller 3

Posted February 08, 2013
i went to ps.153 from 2005-2007 and i went through alot being there, i got transfered out of a class in 4th grade there because me and the teacher didnt get along. i was moved to ms.hall class and had her again my 5th grade year. i never liked ms.hall due to the fact she hit the kids, she once told me she was gona throw me off the stage because i came off the wrong way after practicing for a play. i had so many fights and the teachers didnt try to solve the problems.the lunch was terrible and i would always be close to missing my bus because of how the teachers would hold me back at the end of the day and didnt care if i missed the bus or not. i must say mr.harridge and mrs.williams was a big help for me during my time at ps.153 in 4th and 5th grade at ps.153!!!!

Posted January 29, 2013
The Good: The Assistant Principal looked out for our son and made sure he did well. The Bad: The teachers don't like kids that don't conform to the rigid rules of this school. They don't seemed too concerned that your child has life-threatening food allergies. (The lunch attendants aren't even informed of said allergies. If your kid eats something in the lunch room that they're allergic to, it's not on them - they blame the child. My son drank chocolate milk - not entirely his fault, I give him ALMOND CHOCOLATE MILK at home. He throat started to close. Instead of calling 911 once the nurse realized it was an allergic reaction - she called me to bring him Benedryl. I had to take him to the hospital myself.) My son was bored & frequently told me every day that he was. On the first day of Kindergarten, my son's teacher was already complaining about his behavior. (Geez! It's the first day, give him time to adjust.) They forgot to put my son on the bus - they confused him with another child. How? My son has a very unique first and last name. (Heart attack inducing! Imagine wondering if your child was kidnapped or lost!) I transferred him out. Never again. He loves his new school!

Posted May 11, 2012
This is my second negative review for this school. My wife and I had another incident with the staff, who were "enforcing" school policy and were to eager to point blame at the parent. We were not asked if we needed assisstance or offered alternatives or even advised on current school policies. We were just told" these are the rules, follow them!". We feel we are being singled out for some reason. My wife and I have only been cooperative, kind and as helpful as we can be to the school staff. We have always been polite and understanding. Clearly it was a mistake to enroll our child in this school. My childs teacher however, is amazing! The education and improvement we have noticed is beyond expectations. Its a shame our child will not be coming back here in Sept. 2012. To any parent who is thinking about enrolling your child in this school.....Do your homework about this school. Talk to the teachers, staff and pricipals if you can before you enroll. Good luck.

Ps 153 Helen Keller 5

Posted April 28, 2012
I am surprised to read these complaints, my child has attended this school for 5 years and I can only say great things about this school. I love it and sad that it only goes up to 5th grade. The prinicpal and assistant principals have been nothing but available and ready to discuss any issues and yes sometimes things happen after all kids are kids, but I was met with rudeness from the top down. I feel great that my child attended this school, they recieved a wonderful education, in a safe and caring environment.

Posted October 07, 2011
I must say that I am greatly disappointed with this school. The school and staff are unsupportive and care very little about the students. I say staff because i spoke to various individuals and they could care less. I pulled my child out of that school as you can imagine. The things i've seen and experienced were horrendous. I would never treat someone else's child the way i've seen teachers,security and principals treat students. They are unprepared, rude and need to go back to school for some more training on education, management and sensitivity.

Ps 153 Helen Keller 2

Posted March 25, 2011
My Child has attended this school since Kindergarten. The administrative staff are very unsupportive and defensive regarding parent complaints. They tend to sweep major issues under the rug. As a parent of smart male child, it seems that certain male teachers are intimidated of children who can think outside of the box. It has been my observation that children who have parents that advocate for them are labled from grade to grade. This is unfair and puts a damper on a children's opportunity of getting a fair education.

Ps 153 Helen Keller 4

Posted February 05, 2009
My son is in the Autistic Program and I think this is an excellent school. They taught my son how to use a computer. His speach therapist is great, she has a technique that she uses to help him sound out words that I think is awesome. It motivates him to want to speak. He has been trying to mimic mostly all the words that my husband and I are saying. I'm proud of him and especially grateful to all of his teachers and therapist. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Jamella Hall Sullivan

Ps 153 Helen Keller 2

Posted November 19, 2008

Ps 153 Helen Keller
650 Baychester Ave, Bronx, NY  10475
Last modified Ps 153 Helen Keller is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 153 Helen Keller Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top