St. Raymond Elementary School

Private | PK-8 | 774 students

Living in Bronx

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $130,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

Sweep tile

Posted January 2, 2014

I want to advise all parents they should bring their children to St Raymond Elementary school. My daughter loves it. Her reading and math never been better. I love the school. My daughter was in public school and did not learn a thing. I am very please with St Raymond Elementary School. If any one one to see for their self please come our opened house.

Posted December 13, 2013

I cannot believe that this school remains in existence. Its overwhelmingly overcrowded. Many parents that I know commented that they keep the children enrolled due to the tuition cost and limited catholic schools in the area. I HOPE THE PARENTS REALIZE THE TURMOIL THAT THE CHILDREN FACE IN THIS SCHOOL. If you're experiencing it, withdraw your child and don't allow the issue to overwhelm your home. It was a great lesson learned. I rather pay a little more and enjoy the nurturing environment that applies with paying a private tuition.

Posted May 16, 2013

I feel that this school does not cater to the preschoolers the way the older children are. I feel that they do not nuture the children in a manner that would allow the children for flourish. I feel that the preschoolers are not always thought of immediately and that they are an after thought in the schools cirrculum. I would like for the school to allow more parental involvement when it comes to this grade as the children are still considered toddlers that happen to be potty trained. I also believe that the teachers expectations are too high for the children as they push them to behave like older grades when they are still learning to write.

Posted May 1, 2013

Im typing fast Im on lunch and but I needed to post this. I graduated from the academy and i had a great experience. I thought that the elementary school would serve my daughters a great education. As a NYC educator, I want only the best for her and seeked it out in St Rays. I am DESPERATELY looking for another school for the academic 2013-2014 school year because ENOUGH is ENOUGH. The classrooms are overcrowded, the children do not get the attention they need nor deserve. The teacher gets their favorites (the children of the teachers in the same school) and they can do NO wrong and are the stars for everything. Kids are very impressionable and sense this. The make up of the body of this school is mixed and form their groups as early as Kindergarten. This school is worse than a PUBLIC SCHOOL and I am LOOKING SEARCHING HUNTING DOWN another school that will not make me rob Peter to Pay Paul. This school has disappointed me as a MOM, an Educator and as a Parishoner and dont worry as soon as I can- my CHILDREN are out of there! 39 kids one teacher lost... and that is with me working with them at home! Disappointed, Saddened, Heartbroken for my girls!

Posted August 28, 2012

PLEASE DON'T SEND YOUR CHILD HERE...I had a very similar experiecnce as the comment below 8/25/12...My child was a former student of St.rays also, I finally took him out of there this year...the administration is a joke in stead of helping they only make things worse...they quickly want to suggest that your child has some type of developmental issue when the child is acting out and the child might benefit from medication..the assistant prinicple of the middle school is very uncooperative and is more concern in hearing herself speak than what the parent has to say...I'm so done with this school and its parish...I do not believe this school embody the values of religious instruction at all..I have never been so angry at the treatment my son received at this school....

Posted August 25, 2012

My children are former students of St. Raymonds and its parish. I bear the same feelings and thoughts of the feedback dated June 18th, June 5th, 12/11 and so forth. Although I am not an advocate of bashing a school for its imperfections, this school in particular was astonishing in its actions towards parents, the children, and non-christian ways!!!! My experience with St. Raymond almost led me to a nervous breakdown.My experience with St. Raymonds has been a blessing in disguise and also a waste of money in a Catholic Education. The moral to my review is, dont evaluate your child based on feedback of a school that does not recognize or understand special needs If you feel your child requires an evaulation, conduct it in Kindergarten through the Bd of Ed who have the resources and specialists to identify their needs St. Raymonds is a private jail!! Parents beware!!!

Posted July 9, 2012

I have been in St. Raymond s School for 6 years now. I started in the 3rd grade and just graduated. Over my 6 years at the school I have met very kind and helpful teachers and I have also met the handful that shouldn t be working with children. I think I got a good education from St. Raymond s I feel I am ready for the 9th grade. As a got older I started to notice different things. I started to see more children in the class rooms and this past year there were 35 students in each class. I felt that there were too many children in each class! Every time something happens in the school News 12 is outside ready to get their story. This became really annoying. They also don t know how to set date for anything so don t make your plans around the calendar! They give out a newsletter in the beginning of the year and one every month. After each newsletter you will get about 20 of the same reminder! They all say the same thing there just worded differently!! The school asks for money A LOT! Father/Mother/Guardian if you do not want your child in a class with 34 other children don t send your child here it will be a waste of YOUR MONEY!!!

Posted June 18, 2012

DON'T SEND YOUR CHILD HERE!! This school is all about money and nothing else. My son started in pre-k and out upon KINDERGARTEN "graduation". My child has been in daycare since he was 2 yrs. old and I work with him @ home tremendously so he was more than prepared for their curriculum by the time he entered the school. From pre-k the children were expected to act like soldiers and if not ur getting phone calls constantly for silliness (talking in the bathroom/not standing straight in line). My child would tell me he would not be called on because the teacher knew that he knows the answers!!! I asked repeatedly about having him evaluated academically because he was bored with the work which led to him talking in class or otherwise and I was told after many attempts that I should take him elsewhere to be evaluated for his behavior. BTW-they were not equipt w/info as to wheshould how I should go about this but I should get back to them once I have done this. They keep kids in the class all yr that spit, throw things, etc. but want me in the school when and where they say b/c my child likes to talk. Not to mention the child is suspended if tuition is late even during state testing!!!

Posted June 5, 2012

I have been to st.ray's since 4th grade (I'm now in 7th) and my experience here has been "okay". I honestly just like this school because of the friends I've made along the way. If you would like your child starting the school at pre-k...DO NOT!!! I have witnessed 3 year olds being yelled at like they were MY age!! Our principal, unfortunately doesn't know the names of practically anyone in the school. She only knows the names of students who are in trouble..Also, in the middle school for the first 4 months of school, it was a review of everything you did in the prior year. < THIS WAS SAD. Honestly these are my last words: I AM GLAD I'M LEAVING NEXT YEAR

Posted December 8, 2011

The classes are over crowded and the children are not being taught the way they should be. The prime concern here is MONEY. I thought this was going to be a good school and the year is only half way through and Im looking for other schools. The teachers are the worst I've seen. This school has the ability to stay open because they are constantly asking for money for "everything"....I can't see how some people could send their kids here up to 12th grade, they are getting less than a public school education with a catholic school title and price tag being put on it. I've never seen a school that only gives kids a 20 minute lunch break....that is not enough time to eat. Going to the bathroom is also another problem. This school sucks!

Posted September 9, 2011

i am a student at St.Raymond and have been going to this school all my life, from Pre-K till now, 8th grade. I honestly think that this school is one ot the best Catholic schools in the Bronx. If you do not want your child in a classroom with 35 other kids, please do not register. But there are many activites for the students to do. The teachers are strict with discipline and responsibility when you go into Middle School to prepare you for high school. My teachers have really pushed me hard, i am in the eighth grade learning 9th grade math ! Until you have done your best, teachers are concerned and that is a very good thing. The principal is rather friendly although it may seem shes too focused on money and appearance, she cares about the students also. It takes a lot to run a school with so many students so i understand. So before you have known St. Raymond School for 10 years, i suggest you learn what it has to offer.

Posted August 27, 2011

The response received on 6/9/11 has nothing to do with the special svcs that the child req'd. The parent feedback was based on actions applied by the school. Once the child was identified as "special needs" the behaviors of all teachers changed, as well as the school. Despite the fact that St. Ray acknowledged & observed that the child req. special svcs, theyl maintaned his enrollment thru the middle of May when tuitiions for May & June were pd in full on 5/10. How ironic that the child is dismissed on May 12th! The parent acknowledged that the child req. help, & the help was initiated by the parent in 1/11. The parent was not in denial! The process was delayed from Bd. of Ed., & St. Ray was fully aware! THE SCHOOL MAINTAINED SECURED THEIR MAIN INTEREST ($$) and THEN DISMISSED THE CHILD 3 WEEKS PRIOR TO GRADUATION!! Thankfully, thru help of the Bd. of Ed., the child graduated! The school actions were harrasing at times, especially at wk. All the children for this parent attended parochial school. Thankfully the Bd. of Ed was able to maintain private schooling for the child & the parent has withdrawn her children from St. Ray's. Thank you St. Ray's for all of your help!!!

Posted June 9, 2011

To the parent who posted on June 3, I am sorry that you think of your experience that way. Sometimes its hard to think your kid has some learning or behavior needs. My experience has been just the opposite at St. Raymonds. My kid is able to receive the help he needs after school right there at St. Raymonds. There are many programs available for students. there are no other catholic schools around the bronx that do that. only in the public school. The teachers have been very helpful. I hope you are able to move on and get your kid the help he needs.

Posted June 4, 2011

The school identified that my son required special svcs and I did everything in my will power to ensure that he received it. My son was enrolled in Prek 2010 through 2011. Once I paid the tuition for May and June, my son was immediatly released on May 12th without any option but to have a full time monitor with him. This plan was established and enforced within 24 hours. How ironic that once the full tuition was paid, he was dismissed like a piece of trash. I fought this issue, and he returned to complete graduation. I considered this school a sadness to Catholics. For God's sake, HE IS ONLY 4 YEARS OLD!! The school is a bully with teachers that act like Zombies!!! Thank God I am out of there.

Posted March 31, 2011

Teachers are overwhelmed with so many students. Staff not recognizing parents concerns. Now we hear there will be a huge influx of students attending next year, which is great, but where are they going to put them?

Posted February 1, 2011

Saint Raymond is a wonderful school very qualified and with an attractive environment. That's why Saint Raymond's is not closing.

Posted January 29, 2011

My family's experience at St. Ray's has been great thus far...my son is a student in St. Ray's Pre-K program and it has been an amazing experience. He has been enrolled since September 2010 and since then he has learned by leaps and bounds. We were blessed with a great teacher...she is kind, dedicated and genuinely has the interest of the kids in mind. Although my contact with the Administration of the school has been minimal, I will say it has not been negative. St. Ray's does a great job of keeping constant communication with families. We often get broadcast phone calls to keep families updated with school events/news. And they are often in communication via letters home to families. Our satisfaction with this school has prompted us to re-register our son and enroll our youngest daughter for the next school year. We opted to stay at St. Ray's b/c of their quality of education and commute from Westchester County daily for it!

Posted December 13, 2010

The Principal is doing a great job on leadership. i notice people don' like how she is running the school. i do believe majority of their behavior is learned in home. They do need discipline at school. i love the school overall. I never had a problem with any of the staff. my child been in that school for 4 years with no problems. Their education is great. I did my research and compared their material with the public and overall the one for ST. Raymond is advanced way more than the public curriculum. Love the teachers they are helpful. Gotta say i loved Ms Capalbo the best along with the staff worker Mrs. Garcia. great and attentive to help you with your child. Must say pricey pricey...

Posted November 14, 2010

Sister Pat is a great principal with great ideas. Mr. Dennis cannot teach and is only interested in the basketball team and giving them the grade they dont deserve. Ms. DiValentino is interested in going home and not helping the kids with tutuoring. Ms.v alerio only has one interest herself and yelling at the kid.

Posted October 31, 2010

I GIVE THIS SCHOOL A FIVE STAR RATING FOR DOING ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING TO BETTER YOUR CHILDS FUTURE. THE STAFF IS HORRIBLE..... ALL THIS SCHOOL CARES ABOUT IS MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY AND MORE MONEY. THE EDUCATION YOU PAY FOR CAN BE FOUND FOR FREE IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL. THIS SCHOOL IS NOT SAFE AT ALL FOR ANY CHILD. IF YOU LOVE YOUR CHILDREN AND VALUE THEIR SAFETY AS A PARENT STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL.

Two or more races 10% N/A
Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Asian N/A 6%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Patricia M. Brito
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2380 E Tremont Ave