No rating

St Helena School

Private | PK-8 | 57 students

Living in Bronx

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $130,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

Posted May 30, 2014

Some of the teachers are awesome but one particular teacher just doesn't get us students. She yells at you if you ask a question to someone. complains a lot when you need to use the bathroom. she claims we only use the bathroom during her class which is ridiculous and not true. we just ate breakfast and our food just disgusted.

Posted October 22, 2013

School would get 5 stars if the tyrant second grade teacher would come to her senses and realize that her excessive disciplinary action's are not warranted for minor fractions such as missing signatures.

Posted October 17, 2013

The second grade teacher need not to be teaching that grade. It seems she does not understand children that age. I agree with the other comment she is a dictator. The Principle needs to evaluate her teaching skill and do something about it.

Posted August 18, 2013

My children have been enrolled in St. Helena for a few years. It is one of the few schools in the area (if not the only) which offers full day 3 year old, Pre-k and kindergarten. Since enrolling my kids, I have become disappointed and am now looking to remove them. The good is that the teachers are available & reachable. Also unlike other private schools, it is affordable & although encouraged, fundraising is not mandatory. There is a breakfast & after school program which for working parents is a plus. However, the school has room for improvement. Music & language is not offered. Also, the afterschool program is run by teens who (with the exception of a couple) are immature. The program itself is unorganized. Also parent involvement is scarce & not encouraged. With the exception of only 1 teacher during the years, I have been generally pleased with the staff. Yet, the prinicipal is unapproachable. I find him to be more comfortable around the children than with the adults. Most importantly the class sizes are too large (some have close to 40) & the work is not challenging enough. I fear that St. H does not have the environment to properly prepare my children for high school.

Posted August 2, 2013

I think St Helena's school has a great academic program. Unfortunately the class size is to large (35+ children). When we first enrolled, there were two classes per grade. Then there were teacher layoffs and now there is one grade per class. The children had to suffer with the over crowdiness. There is only one math/science teacher for 6th - 8th grades. The principal has a open door policy, which is great and the teachers are available for early morning discussions. The guidance counselors and the Title 1 teachers are very supportive and offer great assistance. The afterschool program offers late pick up until 6:30, unfortunately there is not much guidance as the teen age counselors sit among themselves and don't interact with the kids. There needs to be more educational structure and adult supervision. (Homework assistance, roboitics team, math, reading or science clubs would be great) Also, there is no PTA where the parents could volunteer and assist with these programs.

Posted December 20, 2011

This school is a dissapointment . Really do not send your kids here.It is way to strict . If you want to see them happy send them somewhere else. They will have enough of it the first week .

Posted November 18, 2008

So far i am happy with the staff at St. Helena. I would like for them to improve is the way they help the kids in reading and math, my daughter is in 3rd grade and she does received help in math a subject that she is very good at but the reading she is not receiving the extra help and she does need the help.

Posted July 1, 2008

To be fair there is always a positive and a negative story. What is important to me is the quality of education my Grandson received and the kind of person that St. Helena helped to develop. Where ever he goes people notice his education. At the present he is attending middle school in Florida and is doing excellent both academically and intellectually. Thanks to the Staff of St. Helena

Posted June 10, 2008

i have my son in St. Helenas after removing him from a charter school and since he has been attending he has improved in all areas including his behavior, academically and socially. My wife and I love the school, the teachers and the staff. A gem in the Bronx!

Posted January 22, 2008

A great place for a child to learn about schoolwork and about being a good person.

Posted January 16, 2008

i am a graduate of st.helena's and i loved it it is like a family that you can always go back to

Posted October 19, 2007

This is my second year at St. Helena. I have two boys in this school. The first year was great. His teachers were excellent and I was able to foster a good working relationship with both. This academic year, well... it is the miss year for one of my children. I call the teacher to discuss my son's progress and never receive return calls. It is becoming frustrating early on and I even question the level of education skill set to properly teach this particular grade. My other son however is having a better experience except for one teacher. Class size wow! Terrible.

Posted September 25, 2007

When I call the school I do not recieve a call back from the teacher with regards of my child's behavior.

Posted August 22, 2007

all of my four children have attended this school. I am very satisfied with their education and the personal touch that all of the teachers give. the school is safe and the children well behaved.the principal mr. meller is the best. monsignor derivan really cares about the children.

Posted August 1, 2007

When Monsignor Mulcahy ran St. Helena Parish years ago, this was a school you could believe in and be proud of. Former principal Angela Deegan made a point of hiring bright, young, talented teachers and class sizes were kept small to ensure that students received as much individual attention as possible. When Father Derivan took over following Monsignor Mulcahy's untimely death, St. Helena became nothing more than a religiously affiliated babysitting service. Father Derivan and his band of lost boys, Rich Meller included, have driven St. Helena into the ground. Father Derivan is concerned about making money, and nothing more. He is willing to sacrifice paying for quality staff and overcrowding classrooms to pay for atrocious religions monuments and other frivolous expenditures.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 20, 2007

Well, what can I say about St. Helena that doesn't sound like someone paid me to do it. My son entered this school as someone who could not care less about education. I spoke to his teachers and Father Derivan about his attitude. because let's be real being a black boy in America, his only way out is education. They worked with me and my son and now he has a partial scholarship to All Hollows, and Mt. St. Michael. I know I could not have done this on my own. I now have a son that has made himself and myself very proud of him. I hope that he stays affiliated with St. Helena's. I believe that he will go very far in his long journey through life.

Posted July 17, 2007

My child has been there for four (4) years. Each year it's different. Either you have a teacher that is pregnant and the kids have to be stuck with a substitute or you end up with a really devoted teacher. Needless to say this past school year my child was in a class that started out with 41 kids. They ended the year with 38 kids. This is a shame to have to pay over $3,600 for tuition with class sizes bigger than the public school system class size. Out of the whole school there are only 3 certified teachers. So again I say this is a shame you pay all this money for half the quality that you are expecting.

Posted April 27, 2007

September 2007 will be my son's 2nd year attending this school, he started last September 2006 as a six grader. I truly believe that he has had a great school year experience and he has brought home plenty of passing grades exams. I know for a fact, that I as a proud parent made a great choose when I enrolled my son in this school. The after school program is also really great. If there are parents out there seeking for a good school and a great education, I truly recommend St. Helena School.

Posted February 13, 2007

I went to St Helena from grades 1-8 and am now a in my 2nd year of High School.It was the best experience of my life.This is a profound school which faculty that really cares for the children.I myself got a full scholarship to Msgr Scanlan HS in the Bronx, Partial Scholarship to All Hollows HS and scored a 96 on the TACHs Test the Catholic School entrance exam and now attend Choate Rosemary Hall an accomplished private Boarding School all from what I learned in St Helenas.All the teachers are very qualified and the head priest is very strict both with children and parents which warrants alot of these bad reviews. He nows the best way to run the school which includes raising his voice but without father Derivan their would be no difference between St Helena and a public school.It has a vibrant Church affiliation.Email me with questions.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 1, 2007

My Daughter has been in St Helena for 4 years. She absolutely loves it. She has progressed so much. She had speech therapy for 2 years before going in to school and she was behind most kids her age. She has learned how to read and write beautifully. She does so well with religion and math. She is now t the same level as the rest of the kids her age. I am very happy with St. Helena.

Asian 23% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Richard Meller
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York