No rating

St Philip Neri School

Private | PK-8 | 34 students

Living in Bronx

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $130,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,200.

Posted August 8, 2014

Horrible school. I can't even express that enough. The only good teacher they have there is Mr. Seuipal and Ms. Suarez, I heard Ms. Suarez is gone, and Seuipal is still there, he was tuff on everyone, but everyone passed and did well with him. They deserve to work elsewhere anywhere. The extracurricular activities suck and there's a very small amount of children there.

Posted June 24, 2014

St. Philip Neri is not the best school around and has very few good teachers. The technology teacher is fine my child never complains about him in fact she says he is one of the few good teachers in that school besides: Mark Sieupaul, Annie Rivers, Jessica Bitz, Jennifar Amos, and Lorraine Oritz.Iam happy teachers like them are in that school they made it worth sending my child there for the last 6 1/2 years

Posted February 20, 2014

I have a prek child in this school. I am very disappointed with the school. When I first toured the school there was an older experienced pre k teacher. When my child started The lady had retired. Now as stated on another review. The children do not go out even though the school have a back yard. As far as I can tell they play and sleep for an hour and fifteen mins each day. It is not a prek as in "School" is more like pre k as in DAYCARE. "Gym" is inside they only take the children out when is time to go.my child is happy I have no complaints in that regard, but which child is not happy with friends and play time? Academically they do not do and will not challenge your chils. They will take care of the children, give them a few activities and thats it. If your child shows ability to do more they will not challenge him/her. If So we have childrlearning to count to 20 and the abc's that's it. That's what is required and that s what they will do. I am pulling my child out as soon as the year is over. I believe those early years are the most important in a child's life and St. Philip Neri unfortunately does not have the same believe.

Posted January 26, 2014

pre school school unexpectedly closes due to ongoing boiler repairs janitor is always in the classroom like if he was a one of the pre k teachers its just odd ..the kids are sorounded by four walls no windows blinds are shut ...kids are not let out to play outside

Posted November 6, 2013

I have two children attending this school and I am not happy with the school. There is gym and technology class which might as well be non existent because my children come home telling me that he does nothing with them, plays on he phone during gym. As for technology class they don't learn anything in this class except how to play games on the computer because that's all they do while he once again plays games on his phone. They don't do anything really except complain that they don't want to go on field trips, help with dances or any fund raisers, they don't even do field day, they want to get payed for every minute of their time. They complain about parents not wanting to volunteer and help out around the school but really who would want to with the attitudes of the teachers and principal which are NOT welcoming. Plus if you do volunteer to help you give a inch they want to take a mile but do not know how show their gratitude but ask for more. PLEASE GET A REAL GYM AND TECHNOLOGY TEACHER because the one that is there is the teacher for both class but not even doing a proper job. Not One last thing just because the staff denies bullying is going on in the school WAKE UP IT IS.

Posted August 3, 2013

I was a student here and could not wait until I graduated. I can not stress how horrible this school is. Some teachers are good and some teachers are horrible. I found most of them are completely unorganized and don't bother teaching students correctly. I have lost count of how many times teachers used their phones or chatted with other talkative students. I remember my fifth grade teacher stopping the middle of a lesson to answer a question that one of my extroverted peers had asked. Answering a question is completely fine but dropping the whole lesson to answer the question AND TO CHAT WITH A STUDENT AS IF SHE WAS A FRIEND is just terrible. Most teachers are quite harsh and give unfair punishments. As a former student, you may think I'll be a tad biased but I had never received punishment or one of the teachers' famous yelling storms but only observed other troublemakers. The principle useless. She has done little to nothing for the improvement of that school. There are no field trips at all and we rarely had events. The school is disgusting and hot in the summer. Myself and many friends have found ourself fainting. They have AC but they are bloody useless. There are huge bugs.

Posted September 5, 2012

I have experienced many disappointments since Mrs Heed became principal. She hears nothing and does nothing to resolove issues. She has enabled inappropriate behavior from staff. I transferred my children because of the amount of stress that the school has given me. The teachers never respond when you call. They call when its to late. They are Overwhelmed and disorginized as whole. The teacher are unprofessional with worse behavior than the children. Its one thing to have to watch over your children, its another when you have to treat the teachers the same way.

Posted January 8, 2012

I have 2 children attending St. Philip Neri school now and I'm impressed with the lower school but the upper school is horrible. Some teachers don't get back to you in time with any academic issues until it's too late, the principal is horrible because like another parent stated -she has her own agenda. Mrs. Heed came from the administrative office not as an experienced educator nor prinicipal. She doesn't listen to the parents. I stayed because the lower school is excellent but i'm thinking about elsewhere. The bathroom is dreary, 2 toilets on the 1st. floor, no papertowels, soap, and only 1 sink. There's no guidance after school for the kids.. The $300.00 mandatory fundraising fee should pay for some of the fixtures or services needed for the students. The lunch is served cold with complaints but there's a fee, the gym teacher smokes all day and don't give too much of a workout for the kids, the music teacher is gone, and no language class .The school is promising but it starts with getting rid of the leadership and listen to the parents testimonials. This was once the # 1 catholic school in the Bronx- lets start the trend again

Posted September 14, 2011

At St. Philip Neri children are expected to succeed. The teachers really care, the principal is excellent. As a nervous parent that I am I don't feel comfortable leaving my daughter anywhere, But as soon as I visited the school and saw how everyone acts like a big family, the parents care, the teachers go the extra mile for the students and the principal is very involved. I recommend this school to all parents. If you are serious about your child's education this is the school for you. My child is now in the first grade and I couldn't be happier with the school, i look forward to enrolling my son as well for next years kindergarten class.

Posted December 18, 2010

My children attend this school and now that the school is under a new princpal Mrs. Heed it has been improving so much.

Posted June 29, 2010

I transfer my 5 yr old daughter out of this school in November and put her in The learning tree prep school. The best decision I ever made!!!! The classrooms at St Philip neri were overcrowded. There is no diversity in the teaching staff , which is needed. My daughter was not happy at this school. When she asked for extra help she was often ignore by the teacher. The teacher told me she could not give my daughter the extra attention she needed, because she has alot of students(28). My daughter felt stupid, so she would cry alot or rebel in different ways. In the new school the teachers were very helpful and gave my daughter the extra attention she needed. she is making nice progress academically and she received an award for most improved student . St Philip Neri has alot of catching up to do!!!!

Posted November 13, 2009

I am an alumnae and a parent of a current SPN student, I must say that I am absolutely impressed with the new principal, Mrs. Heed. She's loving, understanding and really seems to genuinely care about the students and the future of the school. The school has incredible teachers like Mr. Seuipaul and Mrs. Martin, both of which were my instructors when I attended SPN. This school was one of the top 5 schools in the Bronx when I attended years ago, and I have all the confindence in the world that under the new principal's direction, SPN will be number 1 once again!! Great community, great teachers, great staff, great students, and definitely great parents that really care about their children's education and school. I would reccommend SPN to anyone who wants a outsanding education in a safe and clean environment!! SPN is rising back to the top!

Posted October 15, 2009

I used to go to that school, and it is a great school with great teachers such as Mr. Seuipaul and Mrs. Martin. Their the two that made SPN great, but they were under a horrible direction the last two years.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 20, 2009

I am hoping and praying that the new principal will take SPN in a new direction after two years of horrible/ non-existent leadership. Most of the teachers are very dedicated and just need some support and a little bit of freedom to get things back on track. This school has gone through so many changes in the past ten years, but could be great again, given the right person to take charge. Please allow the parents to be more involved, and try to bring back teachers like Mr. Broglia, who made SPN an amazing school!

Posted May 14, 2009

I an alumnae and a parent whose 8 year old has attended this school since Pre-K. The teachers and education system is excellent. The only problem with the school is the principal. She speaks to the parents as though they are children. A new principal would make the school a lot better. I do not feel she has the best interests of the children at heart when she runs the school. There have been prinicipals before her, who have shown great appreciation towards the parents and the children who attend SPN.

Posted March 12, 2009

I have a daughter in the SPN Pre K and i feel the the teachers are great! they are attentive, patient and are incredible educators. They teach those Pre k 3 and Pre k 4 children the fundamentals of will be a very long school career. In saying that i also think that the SPN teachers should receive praise for putting up with a Principal who seems to have her own agenda and is not entirely concern with the teachers input. The principal made the fist few weeks of school (FY 08-09) very confusing changing rules and regulations on a daily basis. The principal might meet with the teachers often but does not seem to care or want to listen to there advice or concerns, although they are with the children 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week. I believe that with new leadership this school will shine!

Posted July 2, 2008

I've been here for 6 years and I had been shocked all these years. Before, this school was excellent and controlled. Now, many issues are happening. We have dance class for gym. The auditorium needs the ceiling fixed. We need good heating and air conditioning. Most importantly, we need safety. Many problems happened and the principal fixed these situations, but the parents were never informed on the problems. I have made invaluable friendships through the years. The teachers are amazingly caring and knowledgeable.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 16, 2008

I am sorry to say that this school once out shinned others,but the shine has gone away.I have had my child their since Kindergarden but this will be her last yaer at this school.The school needs a major wake-up call. We as parents do our part in putting up with lots of fundraisers,No Gym teacher in stead a dance classs? ,No Music teacher, School Rules that do not become enforced.I say it's time to go.Starting this Sept.08 fall classes are going to be combined from two class rooms to one,due to major cutbacks at the schooI. I would recomend for parents who work hard to pay for your child education to look before sending your child to this school.

Posted March 1, 2008

I feel the teachers at this school are great, however staff coordination is non-existent, each person will tell you a different 'policy' according to how they prefer it, usually to get more money out of you. Also, as with other parents the fundraisers are endless. My son was sent home with a box of candy and an envelope. There was no letter explaining why they were selling, or when it was due. I would look around before having your child attend this school, and if you live in the neighborhood of a 'decent' public school, consider it.

Posted September 16, 2007

For the most part, I have been pleased with what SPN has to offer my children. It is a close-knit community with a strong Catholic tradition, and the majority of the teachers are very caring, dedicated and enthusiastic. There are a number of extracurricular activities available, although the communication with the parents about these (including written schedules of practices and events) is not the greatest and could be improved. Unfortunately, we can't seem to hold on to a principal for more than two or three years (for various reasons), and we are still waiting to see what the new principal will bring to the school. I wish her the best! I also feel that there are a few teachers (2 or 3) who have been there too long and are possibly burned-out, as they seem to have no patience for any of the students and confuse even the best students.

Two or more races 8% N/A
Asian 4% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Janet E. Heed
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3031 Grand Concourse