No rating

St Francis Of Assisi School

Private | PK-8 | 329 students

Student diversity

Living in Bronx

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $339,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,260.

Posted February 25, 2014

My 6 year old loves SFA and I am impressed with the administration and teacher responsiveness/involvement. Academically they are strong, and I love that homework is a solid review of what they are learning in the classroom. This makes for a strong home/school connection. Keep up the great work SFA!

Posted August 1, 2013

This school is so UNORGANIZED! Parent are always asking one another when is this or that? the school is so unorganized. If you need an answer to your question the only person who can answer a simple question is the principle! Why is that? Even, if you ask your child s teacher a simple question she tells you to ask the principle. When you go to the principle you re always told that she s so busy!!! She never follows up with nothing believe me parents do get together and compare their stories.

Posted January 23, 2013

I am pleased to say my child attends St. Francis of Assisi School. My child has had wonerful teachers. My child is doing very well academically and socially. What more can you ask of a school. Not long ago I was faced with a serious situation. The Principal and the Business Manager were by our sides every step of the way. In our time of need they were there for us.They were very supportive and understanding. My family and I will forever be grateful. We are truly looking forward to many more years with this great school. I would recommed this school without any hesitate. Keep up the great work St Francis of Assisi

Posted January 7, 2013

I removed both of my children from this school. The principal has no clue about what is going on in the school and the classes are out of control. Also the principal is very vindictive after complaining to her about my concerns with the school she started singling out my children every chance she got, making them miserable that they started crying not to go to school anymore. The test scores are good only because most parents work with their children at home and others pay for private tutoring. The only teachers that I would recommend in that school are the 7th and 8th grade because they really care and work hard to keep their students on track. The others are pathetic excuses of teachers. Save your money put your child in public or charter school, this school is worse than being in public school so why pay for it. Removing my children from this school is the best thing I have ever done for them academically. This catholic school has turned me off from all other catholic school. It starts from the top..leadership is poor, she is not fit to be a principal. They need to kick her out, maybe the 8th grade teacher would do a better job at getting the school back on track..

Posted September 27, 2012

I am planning to remove my daughter from this school. She has been here since pk3, but every year it seems the staff, attitudes and monitoring of the children gets worse. It is September only and my daughter already has bruises from being pushed, learned some ghetto song in the classroom, told to get better rest at home than laying on the table... Teacher did not even check to see if she was ill. After school my daughter told me , I felt her forehead she was real warm. She had a fever of 102.9 - 103.4. I kept her home the next day and am currently looking for a new school. I am totally disappointed.

Posted July 13, 2012

My daughter completed 3 years here then I had to take her out. Best decision I made, as a matter of fact this catholic school has turned me off from all other catholic school. It starts from the top..leadership is poor, when I first saw the principal I raised my brows- an old woman in a mini skirt, and I am not a prude! Mrs. H does not lead by example. I found the dedication from the teachers was lacking and there is too much inconsistency in what is expected from the students. One teacher only gave home work on fridays in another grade it was mondays and wednesdays. For $500 a mth I expected a lot more so I took her out and put her in a charter school and I am happy to say I am getting better for less!!

Posted June 29, 2011

The principal and staff are crude and curt. Strong leadership is non-existent. They expect the parents to do their job for them. Informing parents that a child is in danger of repeating the grade should definitely be a top priority. However, this school is more concerned with tuition and kicking out students who they deem unwanted to keep their stats high. After 2 years of this school, any hardworking parent would have had enough. Teachers only want to help the students who are doing well which defeats the purpose of paying a $5000 premium to get less than a public school education. STAY AWAY! With poor extracurricular programs combined with poor teaching and empathy for the fellow American, I would say this school is a no-go. Unless your child goes to small Catholic high school, they will not be prepared for life ahead. This school sits in a bubble. No wonder they are having trouble financially. I hope the archdiocese closes this school soon. I have issued several formal complaints due to the lack of communication, respect and responsibility. PARENTS BEWARE!!!

Posted May 25, 2010

The principal is excellent. She genuinely cares for the success of the children at SFA. I have two children at this school, one in Kindergarten, and the other in third grade. The teachers are very accessible and the children receive challenging coursework. The principal regularly boasts of the overall favorable statistics of state exams every chance she gets. This simply inspires me to keep my chlidren in this school. She recently reported that the eighth grade in total received over $300,000 in scholarships. That's impressive! Yes, they lack the science lab and a designated school library. It would be nice if they could somehow create a science lab in the school. However, each classroom has a library that I consider acceptable. My third grader loves to read, and brings home books that are well over her grade level. The new music coordinator is fabulous!

Posted March 21, 2009

I attend St.Francis Of Asisi its a great school the teachers are nice but it could use some space!

Posted February 1, 2009

This school is a great school that has grown since our new principal, Mrs. Mary Jane Helmrich, has taken over. There are great extracurricular activities and the principal cares greatly about the students. The teachers believe in discipline and they are well educated and understanding. They want the best for their students and try to teach to the best of thier abilities. As a student, I have exceled and I owe a lot to my many teachers who have encouraged me both in my academics and my personal life and spiritual goals.

Posted September 3, 2008

Before enrolling my child to SFA, I felt that my daughter would be in the right hands. Little did I know, for a Parochial school, how un-Christian the Principal and administration would be toward parents and teachers. I was also stunned to learn how the teacher aides in the preschool did not have the proper credentials that were suitable when working with young children (ages 3-5). Their attitudes and intimidating dispositions are not acceptable among young children. It was also shameful that more than 30 children were squeezed into a classroom causing stress to children as well as the teacher. Can we say fire hazard?! If it had not been for my daughter's teacher, I would have had to pull her out before June. What a sorry situation! I'm glad I'm no longer dealing with this mess!

Posted March 7, 2008

The staff at this school lacks compassion, prfessionalisim and genuine concern for the students at this school. I allowed my child to stay here for two years..by the third year I had enough. The teachers have are very lackadasical and slight. They are not consistent with there lessons and I would venture to say ....sloppy!! The administrative team are impolite and unfreindly. Terrible, terrible school!!!!

Posted February 13, 2008

My daughter has been attending St. Francis of Assisi from since she was 3 years old. She is now in the 5th grade. From the moment she got into Kindergarden, she started to excel. She has been on 1st Honors, for the entire time, starting from 1st Grade up to 5th Grade. My daughter has excelled in in all her grades and is pretty much holding her own in 5th Grade. For the first two quarters, she has not disappointed us. She has made 1st Honors. I really have to give major kudos to the school as well as my husband and I are for being involved parents. All I can say, is that the school is a very good school and I would recommend it to anyone. Teachers, keep up the good work!

Posted October 28, 2007

It's unfortunate that some parents and former students were dissatified with the education received at SFA. It would seem that if the school was so bad the parents would have transfer their children out of the SFA instead of wasting their $$$. The school is small and does not have all the 'extras' but 'extras' cost $$$ that parents are not willing to pay! Education is expensive...in order to have fewer kids in each class would call for more teachers which cost $$$ that no one is willing to pay.. SFA gave my child the foundation necessary to excel in Columbia University..and yes she was in a class of 34..For all those unhappy parents try public schools!

Posted May 29, 2007

I graduated from SFA in 2003 and will be going to college this fall. I did not feel I was well-prepared for high school by SFA and I am not sure the Prinicpal at the time gave my mom good advice on a High School (we all virtually went to small catholic schools). I wish the school had tried harder to help student get to specialized schools.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 15, 2007

My daughter has been going to SFA school since PK3 and now she is in First grade. When she got sick with cancer. I had all of the support I needed from Ms. Helmrich and the parent association. My daughter had learned a lot.

Posted May 9, 2007

As other parents have stated, this is not a good school. There is no science lab, no library, little extra for the kids. Absolutely none of these kids gets into a specialized high school. This is terrible. I am sorry I sent my child here.

Posted April 28, 2007

iv been going to SFA for ten years now and I am getting ready to graduate. SFA has given me great memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I have gotten into a great school thanks to the great principals, Mrs. Helmrich and Dr. Taharally. I am proud to carry a piece of SFA into the world. They have great teachers who do more with less than most teachers . I have succeeded so far in life because of SFA. I have made great friends that I will always remember. I wouldn't't change my grade school experiences for anything. I am a sfa titan all the way.

Posted March 4, 2007

I myself was an SFA graduate, so it was only natural for me to send my own son there. After two years (pk3, pk4) I am looking for another school. There are a total of 32 kids in my son's class. One teacher and two teachers aides. The tuition is nearly $400 per month, with fees of $585 yearly. This would be a small price to pay if I thought my son was receiving the attention he needs. Why is it they haven't even attempted to teach the kids to tie their shoes? Instead, they suggest we send the children in with elcro sneakers. Don't get me wrong I am teaching him myself but I'd appreciate the schools at least trying to teach something so basic. If I can get my son into a charter school he will not be there next year.

Posted January 29, 2007

I have two boys that presently attend St. Francis. Their grades are fourth and seventh, and their teachers are and have always been great. My seventh grader was accepted into the advance Math class, this year, where he is going fabulous. Last year the school introduced basketball, wherein, the children must maintain a good grades in order to participate. This was a great idea, it gives the children something to work hard towards. Yes, the class are big, but with the parents participation the children are going great. The size of a class should not prevent your child from learning, if the parents and the teachers are working together for one common goal. I appreciate what St. Francis is doing for my children, and I have no regrets. Keep it up SFA. Mrs. D.

• Mary Jane Helmrich
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NAEYC
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious