No rating

St. Gabriel Elementary School

Private | PK-8 | 229 students

Our school is best known for the academic achievement of its students.

Living in Bronx

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $230,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

Posted February 8, 2011

This was a great school to go to when I was child. It was a tight community of parents and teachers that really cared about academic excellence. I graduated in a class of 22 children and most I had known since I was 6yrs old (and still keep in contact with today almost 20 years later). I know that some teachers are still there from when I attended SGS like Mr. McCarthy. He's probably the most dedicated teacher I've ever had.

Posted January 12, 2010

I can't say enough good things about the quality of this school. I have a child in kindergarten and another in the upper grades; they both just love the school. The older one consistently receives very top scores in standardized tests each year and this is completely due to the quality of the teaching. One small downside: as the neighborhood has gentrified, we have seen a growing number of 'helicopter' parents who are overinvolved with their kids' education and who unreasonably expect the school to adapt its curriculum and practices to their individual preferences. Those parents can be a drag to be around, but they're in the minority and I think you'll find them in every school in this neighborhood now.

Posted September 30, 2009

This is the third year for my kid at this school.All I can say is good things,the Principal is excellent, very approachable and ready to listen.The office staff is also very dedicated and polite.The teachers are excellent in terms of quality of education.I would definately recommend this school .

Posted September 21, 2009

The children get the best education and are safe in their surroundings.

Posted September 19, 2009

Excellent teachers, great principal, structured education and community.

Posted September 19, 2009

St. Gabriel School provides an excellent education, preparing students for the demands of high school. Beyond that, the nurturing environment and sense of community set the school apart from others in the area. We love being part of the St. Gabriel School family.

Posted September 19, 2009

St. Gabriel's School is a wonderful school. The teachers are fantastic. They make learning fun. My children love going to school everyday. I thought my daughter would struggle in school as she is the youngest in the class, however, to my surprise, she is doing fabulously. Thanks to the wonderful teachers, she has an understanding of the work and is doing great. St. Gabriel's is a wonderful academic school and I am confident that my children are receiving the best education possible.

Posted September 18, 2009

St. Gabriels is not just a school it's a community! I have two girls, one who graduated last year and one in the second grade. St. Gabe's has been a second family to them. My oldest is attending a terrific high school and was so well prepared by the middle school teachers. The Principal is superb and is very dedicated to the children. The parents are friendly and supportive and I am very proud to be a part of this school.

Posted September 18, 2009

St. Gabriel school's academics are second to none. My children look forward to going to school every day and are consistently inspired by the superb teachers. The faculty is dedicated and committed to giving their students the tools needed to become successful in high school and college. The principal fosters a nurturing and happy environment where the students feel welcome to express their views. Parents have the peace of mind knowing that their children are being given the best opportunity to succeed in life.

Posted June 13, 2009

I think the most positive thing about the school is the academics; it is quite rigorous and students go on to very good high schools. The least positive aspect is the culture among the parents, who tend to be cliquish, competitive and (inapproppriately) overinvolved.

Posted March 22, 2009

The teachers are very tough and have high expectations and standards but only want the best for us . Im currently in grade 7 with Mrs. Maher , Shes Great . This school deserves a 8.8 - 9 rating . the curriculum is challenging yet helpful to the students because it forces them to think before answering which is a solid characteristic and what is expected in high school , I thinks this School is great.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 2, 2009

This is wonderful school, principal cares very much for students. My son is in 6th grade and you cant go wrong with those teachers. They are exellent

Posted September 3, 2008

Outstanding parochial school which offers a rigorous academic education and a warm nuturing environment. Ethnically and religiously diverse. Small student body that promotes comraderie among the upper and lower classes.

Posted June 29, 2008

I am a student in this school. The work is tough but it is soo worth it when you are passing all your classes with Mrs Maher, Mr McCarthy,and Ms.O'Beirne.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 23, 2008

As a former student, I'm surprised St.Gabe's has such rave reviews. Both the upper and lower grades were difficult- my lively spirit was repressed by textbook/talk-and-chalk teaching and rigid rules. My classmates and I excelled at standardized testing but did not have the skills to write a 3-paragraph essay until 7th grade. Additionally, we hardly ever went on field trips or received encouragement for our talents. There is also no PTA govt-some parents just take over, leaving others out. Overall, your child will be sound academically, but that's it. Go somewhere else.

Posted February 25, 2008

I am a new parent this year to the school and currently have 2 children enrolled. My daughter Victoria (3rd grade) and my son Price (Kindergarten). Victoria was enrolled in a small Manhattan public school before we chose St. Gabriel. The transition for Victoria was seamless thanks to the wonderful staff and a caring Principle who took the time to ensure Victoria had a pleasant experience. Academically the school is great and a plus is the after-school program which is headed by yet another excellent staff member. You can't go wrong my sending yoour children to this wonderful school.

Posted September 13, 2007

My daughter is just starting 2nd grade here; she is very happy at school, and we are very pleased with how much she's learning. Most of the teachers are very experienced and have been at the school for a long time. The quality of instruction is very good: the students in my daughter's class all performed very well on the national standardized tests last year and I believe many of the 8th grade graduates were accepted into some pretty competitive high schools. Tution is reasonable (compared to other private schools quite affordable. Families from the parish receive a substantial tuition discount.

Posted September 6, 2007

I am fairly new to the school and already loved it since the first day we registered. The 3rd grade teacher is amazing and the principal is excellent, very friendly and approachable. The class sizes are great, just enough attention for the kids. I love it, or may i say we love it!!!!!

Posted August 29, 2007

Can't say enough about the school. My child has been there for two years and is starting a third. The Principal is hands on and looks out for the best intrests of the children. The teachers are very dedicated!!!!!!!!!! There are many ways for parents to be involed within the HSA and outside of it also. I am so glad that my younger child will be able to experience the school from Pre k on!

Posted March 16, 2007

My daughter just enrolled in January. The welcome she received from the principal, the staff and her teachers was wonderful. Academically, this school is far above others. I appreciate the extra help that the teachers have given my daughter during her struggle to acclimate to a new school. I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

Two or more races 20% N/A
Asian 5% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:45 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:40 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 a.m.
  • Deborah D. Pitula
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (718) 796-2638

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Forensics club
  • Girl scouts
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Student newspaper

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)

Apply now

What does it cost?

Tuition range for the 2013-2014 school year
$5000 - $14000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Fordham Preparatory School