No rating

St. Clare School

Private | PK-8 | 379 students

Our school is best know for its excellence in education

Living in Bronx

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $400,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Posted June 13, 2014

PRINCIPAL WAS RECENTLY GIVEN AN AWARD FOR EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP FROM JEFF KLEIN! THIS SPEAKS FOR ITSELF! This school is in great hands and it is the place to be. Our Music Teacher has a PhD and is an accomplished Jazz musician. The education received at St. Clares is on the same level as the other "great catholic schools" in the area. Our sports teams are 1st place in our division. Our HSA is determined, caring and proactive. Our school has a defibulator! The school is being updated/renovated. The students are happy and proud! The best thing I like about St Clares is that students from all over the Bronx/Yonkers attend our school. This is proof that our school is respected, well thought of and the place to be!!! No school is perfect, someone will always complain but SC is one of the best in the Bronx! Again, shows by our enrollment!!

Posted May 23, 2014

I am a parent of two children in the school and one that already graduated. We are happy to say with the new principal we are on top again and the children, teachers and parents are happy which makes a ton of a difference.

Posted May 21, 2014

I have been a parent in St. Clares for over 15 years and yes we have had our down and now we are having our ups. Our new principal has brought smiles back on teachers, students and even the parent's face. After speaking to teachers, their biggest comment was "We have real faculty meetings". The HSA is doing a great job in putting the money back into the school which has not been done in years. They have put new blinds in classroom, fixed the broken ones, new curtain on the stage, new water fountains on each floor, updated electrical. They also have more up their sleeves. The Sports Program had the gym floor refinished. St. Clare's has become a family again. I finally can say, You should definitely send your child to St. Clare's. The principal is very approachable which is what you want, her door is always open. ST. CLARES IS BACK ON THE RISE.

Posted April 30, 2014

My daughter has attended St. Clares since Early Childhood, the one thing I can say is consistant is their main interest in money. $500.00 monthly for tuition, after school that is expensive, and lets not forget the constant PTA dues asking for $10.00 here and $30.00 there. Your child will not be permited to participate in activities if the dues are not paid. My daughter's teacher this year is unapproachable and hasn't developed any relationship with my daughter. I will most likely not be sending her back the following year.

Posted April 6, 2014

St. Clare's has shown great improvement with the new administration and excellent help from the PTA. My daughter is very happy with her teacher. Even though the Common Core Curriculum has been a hassle to deal with, she is maintaining excellent grades. There are great activities for all grades, and for the parents too. My family and I are very happy with the school.

Posted December 22, 2013

The new administration, teachers, staff are all great. Happy that the school is the up and coming school to be

Posted November 14, 2013

My son has attended St. Clares since Pre-K, And thru out the few years he has been there the school has made if perfectly clear that their main interest is money. Tuition is $500.00 monthly but everyday comes a note home from PTA for $10.00 here $30.00 there. And if you do not send in the money your child isn't allowed to participate in Christmas Shows or other activities. I feel like the PTA harass you in these letters. Makes you wonder does anyone proof read the letters before they are sent out to parents. This year my son's teacher is horrible!! She is completly unapproachable. She doesn't greet the children in morning in the yard, let alone the parents. The school itself had had some updates, due to the new administration. I just feel that as parent that is paying monthly to have my son in a good school, I should be able to ask questions, express concerns and have them met and answered in a respectful way. Alot of the kids that have started with my son have left the school to attend public schools or other private schools. I am thinking of removing him from the school as well. I hope the school makes some improvements in how they communicate with parents.

Posted November 2, 2013

St.Clare"s is an adequate school ,except for math. Very disappointed that my son can be receiving a high 90 average but can"t pass the state exam. Questionable at best! Bad day?? I would like to think so ! the new common core?? Something needs to be done about the mathematics from early grades on. There needs to be some extra help given in math. I know my child isn't the only one who needs it. I am happy about most of the teachers my children have had. They are very dedicated and display true Christian values. I am hoping for the best with the new principal. She is making many changes. I hope all will benefit the children.

Posted September 27, 2013

Saint Clare of Assisi was a much better school when the Sisters Oblates to the Blessed Trionity were there. Now they are in two different schools Saint Angela Merici South Bronx and Immaculate Conception Gun Hill Road. It was such a shame the way they were treated by the former Pastor who eventually made them leave. My opinion is that the Convent be fixed and have ALL the Sisters who are able to teach come back. The retired Sisters have their own Convent on Astor Avenue and would not be a burden to the parish in any way, especially with them living there for free. There are 7 Sisters at Saint Angela Merici and at least 5 at Immaculate Conception. Bring them all back and you have a school with at least 8-10 teaching Religious Sisters who wear their habits. That will bring back Saint Clare of Assisi School to its former reputation and standards.

Posted April 16, 2013

My daughter started attending St. Clare's in 6th grade. She was in Public School before this. I sent her to this school because the middle schools in my area had bad reputations. I must say my expectations for this school was higher. Considering the intuition I am paying for this school, I don't feel I am getting my moneys worth. The academics being taught isn't too much different than public school. I actually had better communication with the teachers and her old public school. The parents never get any feedback about the progress of there children unless they are failing. This is a very re-active approach to education. I never hear about the parents association. I rarely hear about events or workshops being offered. I'm not sure what the parent association does other than collect fees. The only noticeable is that the children are well behaved. That is only the real difference between Catholic and Public School. My recommendation would be to keep your child in Public school. The difference isn't too great.

Posted April 16, 2013

My son is doing very well at St Clare's because of talented and caring teachers. The teachers here are unbiased and focused on helping children learn.

Posted February 14, 2013

This school is a joke. my daughter attended the school for a year and was bullied from october to April. I tried to report it to the school and the principal wouldnt hear anything about it. defending the other child because she was in the school from the beginning. And I had proof of the bullying. My daughter was depressed and miserable and to find out the other child has bullied other students but the parents never said a word. When I called to find out how to register my child the secretary asked me my name i told her my first and she wanted my last, when i told her my last name she told me to come in person. I told her I just wanted to know tuition price and other info. And she said NO and wanted to see me in person. But the school treated me and my daughter like second class citizens. The principle hides behind the door all day and refused to meet with me regarding the bullying. And the priest also. the even threatened to call ACS on me when the other girl broke my childs ankle.Stating that my daughter was missing too many days, even though we had doctors notes and all.My daughter was on pain meds and also seeing a therapist.To sum it up DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL!

Posted January 23, 2013

St. Clare's School strives to respect all indiiduals who enter our doors. As the principal of the school, most parents know that they will be listened to with courtesy and respect if they approach us in a calm manner. The office phone rings from around 7 a.m. daily. Usually, the principal is the one who answers the phone at this time. The school Mathematics scores are up there with the higher performing Catholic schools. We have a wonderful mathematics teacher. Of course, we will always have students who struggle with school work. The teachers and administration strive to offer suggestions for their future success. High school acceptances and scholarships contribute to our reputation with fine Catholic high schools. We have also had acceptances at Bronx Science H.S. Education Through Music offers violin lessons to the children from grade 4 to 8. The choral program is magnificent. Our children learn music notation and theory. Call us and make an appointment to come in to see and hear what goes on at our wonderful Catholic educational setting! It is interesting to read unkind comments from anonymous persons.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 11, 2012

I have had two children attend this school. They both attended from pre-k through 8th grade. It laid down a solid foundation for thier academic careers. One is now a Dean's list student at Fordham University, after getting all first honors througout high school. The other is a first honors student in Fordham Prep and awaiting his college acceptences.

Posted November 27, 2012

Can't wait until my kids are out of this school or until they get a new principal!! Don't care about working parents-Christmas show (where they sing non Christmas songs) is on a Monday at 9am and 1pm, so working parents can't make it! Used to be a beautiful event on a Saturday, with a over the top Nativity Scene. They don't get taught a language or computers which are both important in high school. They tell you they do, but they don't kids go on the computer to play math games.They DO NOT PREPARE the students for high school. PTA is wonderful and do so much for the kids, but there is no teacher participation in the PTA ,it is all parents. They run great events and the kids have so much fun. If it wasn't for the PTA the school would be sunk. Because of location and friendship I continue to keep my children in this school.

Posted June 22, 2011

Just graduated :) St. Clare's has improved throughout the years and they are changing a lot! In the 2011-2012 school year they will have more smart boards and a Spanish language class! SCS helped me and now i'm going to high school on a full scholarship!

Posted February 11, 2010

My daughter has bee attending St. Clare's since early child hood. She is now in Kindergarten. She loves this school. She has learned a great deal. I am very satisfied with the knowledge and caring that the teachers have shown. There are many family functions run by the PTA which play a huge role in St. Clare. All together, no complaints.

Posted September 22, 2009

My child just started this school and so far he has learned a great deal in such a short period. I am very pleased with the teacher and school thus far.

Posted September 19, 2009

I am extremely happy wih my son' s education at St. Clare's. The principal and teachers are wonderful. They are truly dedicated professionals.

Posted April 27, 2009

Good education, good family values. Only negative, the kids are behind in math starting in grade 6 until 8th, been this way for years.

Asian 10% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Italian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Theresa A. Bivona
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Gym
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Cub scouts
  • Girl scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Public school

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Catholic high schools