No rating

St. Clare School

Private | PK-8 | 379 students

Our school is best know for its excellence in education

Living in Bronx

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $400,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Sweep tile

Posted April 6, 2014

St. Clare's has shown great improvement with the new administration and excellent help from the PTA. My daughter is very happy with her teacher. Even though the Common Core Curriculum has been a hassle to deal with, she is maintaining excellent grades. There are great activities for all grades, and for the parents too. My family and I are very happy with the school.

Posted April 2, 2014

I love that St. Clares is a school that people from all around the Bronx bring their kids too. This says something positive about our school. If it wasn't a good school, why would people travel to it? Yes there are large amount of students in class which only cements the fact that SC is a great school! Other schools in area have lower amount of kids in classes, why? It isn't because these schools aren't allowed full capacity, has to be something else? I feel school isn't given enough credit and new administration needs to promote the school. School has won many awards for academics and sports but don't see that noted here at Great Schools. FB page is posting certain things but not all and readers want to know all the wonderful accomplishments. School needs to apply for Blue Ribbon status and put SC up on the map! I am happy with new administration and am waiting for some renovations (bathrooms) but I know it will be done. GO ST. CLARES!

Posted December 22, 2013

The new administration, teachers, staff are all great. Happy that the school is the up and coming school to be

Posted November 14, 2013

My son has attended St. Clares since Pre-K, And thru out the few years he has been there the school has made if perfectly clear that their main interest is money. Tuition is $500.00 monthly but everyday comes a note home from PTA for $10.00 here $30.00 there. And if you do not send in the money your child isn't allowed to participate in Christmas Shows or other activities. I feel like the PTA harass you in these letters. Makes you wonder does anyone proof read the letters before they are sent out to parents. This year my son's teacher is horrible!! She is completly unapproachable. She doesn't greet the children in morning in the yard, let alone the parents. The school itself had had some updates, due to the new administration. I just feel that as parent that is paying monthly to have my son in a good school, I should be able to ask questions, express concerns and have them met and answered in a respectful way. Alot of the kids that have started with my son have left the school to attend public schools or other private schools. I am thinking of removing him from the school as well. I hope the school makes some improvements in how they communicate with parents.

Posted November 2, 2013

St.Clare"s is an adequate school ,except for math. Very disappointed that my son can be receiving a high 90 average but can"t pass the state exam. Questionable at best! Bad day?? I would like to think so ! the new common core?? Something needs to be done about the mathematics from early grades on. There needs to be some extra help given in math. I know my child isn't the only one who needs it. I am happy about most of the teachers my children have had. They are very dedicated and display true Christian values. I am hoping for the best with the new principal. She is making many changes. I hope all will benefit the children.

Posted September 27, 2013

Saint Clare of Assisi was a much better school when the Sisters Oblates to the Blessed Trionity were there. Now they are in two different schools Saint Angela Merici South Bronx and Immaculate Conception Gun Hill Road. It was such a shame the way they were treated by the former Pastor who eventually made them leave. My opinion is that the Convent be fixed and have ALL the Sisters who are able to teach come back. The retired Sisters have their own Convent on Astor Avenue and would not be a burden to the parish in any way, especially with them living there for free. There are 7 Sisters at Saint Angela Merici and at least 5 at Immaculate Conception. Bring them all back and you have a school with at least 8-10 teaching Religious Sisters who wear their habits. That will bring back Saint Clare of Assisi School to its former reputation and standards.

Posted April 16, 2013

My daughter started attending St. Clare's in 6th grade. She was in Public School before this. I sent her to this school because the middle schools in my area had bad reputations. I must say my expectations for this school was higher. Considering the intuition I am paying for this school, I don't feel I am getting my moneys worth. The academics being taught isn't too much different than public school. I actually had better communication with the teachers and her old public school. The parents never get any feedback about the progress of there children unless they are failing. This is a very re-active approach to education. I never hear about the parents association. I rarely hear about events or workshops being offered. I'm not sure what the parent association does other than collect fees. The only noticeable is that the children are well behaved. That is only the real difference between Catholic and Public School. My recommendation would be to keep your child in Public school. The difference isn't too great.

Posted April 16, 2013

My son is doing very well at St Clare's because of talented and caring teachers. The teachers here are unbiased and focused on helping children learn.

Posted February 14, 2013

This school is a joke. my daughter attended the school for a year and was bullied from october to April. I tried to report it to the school and the principal wouldnt hear anything about it. defending the other child because she was in the school from the beginning. And I had proof of the bullying. My daughter was depressed and miserable and to find out the other child has bullied other students but the parents never said a word. When I called to find out how to register my child the secretary asked me my name i told her my first and she wanted my last, when i told her my last name she told me to come in person. I told her I just wanted to know tuition price and other info. And she said NO and wanted to see me in person. But the school treated me and my daughter like second class citizens. The principle hides behind the door all day and refused to meet with me regarding the bullying. And the priest also. the even threatened to call ACS on me when the other girl broke my childs ankle.Stating that my daughter was missing too many days, even though we had doctors notes and all.My daughter was on pain meds and also seeing a therapist.To sum it up DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL!

Posted January 23, 2013

St. Clare's School strives to respect all indiiduals who enter our doors. As the principal of the school, most parents know that they will be listened to with courtesy and respect if they approach us in a calm manner. The office phone rings from around 7 a.m. daily. Usually, the principal is the one who answers the phone at this time. The school Mathematics scores are up there with the higher performing Catholic schools. We have a wonderful mathematics teacher. Of course, we will always have students who struggle with school work. The teachers and administration strive to offer suggestions for their future success. High school acceptances and scholarships contribute to our reputation with fine Catholic high schools. We have also had acceptances at Bronx Science H.S. Education Through Music offers violin lessons to the children from grade 4 to 8. The choral program is magnificent. Our children learn music notation and theory. Call us and make an appointment to come in to see and hear what goes on at our wonderful Catholic educational setting! It is interesting to read unkind comments from anonymous persons.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 11, 2012

I have had two children attend this school. They both attended from pre-k through 8th grade. It laid down a solid foundation for thier academic careers. One is now a Dean's list student at Fordham University, after getting all first honors througout high school. The other is a first honors student in Fordham Prep and awaiting his college acceptences.

Posted November 27, 2012

Can't wait until my kids are out of this school or until they get a new principal!! Don't care about working parents-Christmas show (where they sing non Christmas songs) is on a Monday at 9am and 1pm, so working parents can't make it! Used to be a beautiful event on a Saturday, with a over the top Nativity Scene. They don't get taught a language or computers which are both important in high school. They tell you they do, but they don't kids go on the computer to play math games.They DO NOT PREPARE the students for high school. PTA is wonderful and do so much for the kids, but there is no teacher participation in the PTA ,it is all parents. They run great events and the kids have so much fun. If it wasn't for the PTA the school would be sunk. Because of location and friendship I continue to keep my children in this school.

Posted June 14, 2012

St, Clare's is a great school with wonderful teachers. My daughter has been enrolled in this school since she was 3 and I would recommend St. Clare's to other parents.

Posted June 22, 2011

Just graduated :) St. Clare's has improved throughout the years and they are changing a lot! In the 2011-2012 school year they will have more smart boards and a Spanish language class! SCS helped me and now i'm going to high school on a full scholarship!

Posted February 11, 2010

My daughter has bee attending St. Clare's since early child hood. She is now in Kindergarten. She loves this school. She has learned a great deal. I am very satisfied with the knowledge and caring that the teachers have shown. There are many family functions run by the PTA which play a huge role in St. Clare. All together, no complaints.

Posted September 22, 2009

My child just started this school and so far he has learned a great deal in such a short period. I am very pleased with the teacher and school thus far.

Posted September 19, 2009

I am extremely happy wih my son' s education at St. Clare's. The principal and teachers are wonderful. They are truly dedicated professionals.

Posted April 27, 2009

Good education, good family values. Only negative, the kids are behind in math starting in grade 6 until 8th, been this way for years.

Posted March 15, 2009

I have three children attending St. Clare's and I am very proud and satisfied as to there performance in this great school.

Posted February 22, 2009

my daughter really enjoys her school. the teachers have presented a good balance of challenges and review. The comments about the principle are spot on, but so are those about the PTA. Parents and teachers are involved and engaged in what is going on, funding is tight and what we don't pay in tuition (its crazy reasonable) is made up for in 'donations' for everything under the sun. There's basic extras (music, gym) but no early foreign language. Bathrooms are disturbingly old and battered but have been clean anytime i've seen them. I chose this school over the local public school because the st. clare kids do in 1st grade what the public school kids do in 2nd. Discipline has relaxed with the current principle and is going in the wrong direction but has not been a problem in the 4 years my daughter has attended.

Asian 10% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Italian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Theresa A. Bivona
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Gym
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Cub scouts
  • Girl scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Public school

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Catholic high schools