No rating

St. Anselm School

Private | PK-8

Student diversity

Living in Bronx

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $276,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted October 4, 2013

Saint Anselm's has provided my daughter with a quality education with a religious foundation that has surpassed my expectations. From the moment my daughter began, she has been given the support that she needed to succeed in a warm and inviting environment. She is now an eighth grader and is about to leave in June and it pains me that she is leaving such a wonderful school. Ms. Lopes and her staff have created an educational institution that gets results. I am so grateful for all the hard work and dedication they have put into my daughter. This school has been the best decision I have ever made for my child. I highly recommend this school to any parent who wants their child to succeed. Thanks to Saint Anselm's my daughter has the necessary tools to go further in life and a Christian foundation that has inspired to be a leader in her own parish. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You Ms Lopes and your faculty for giving my daughter what she needs.

Posted April 12, 2013

Thank you Ms. Lopes for providing my two boys with a quality Catholic education in a safe, structured, and disciplined environment. I want my boys honestly to have a better future, to succeed in life. Everyone at St. Anselm School cares about the children. It begins with the principal. It continues with the teachers, and staff. My two boys are both involved in the extracurricular activities. They love the science and art clubs. My youngest could not wait to participate in the art club and have some hands on fun. I even had them drop band in order for them to participate in the extracurricular tutoring program. The best decision I made was to transfer my boys to St. Anselm School. I know they are getting the best education and they are also very happy.

Posted March 19, 2013

every year at least 5 kids from each grade transfer... there are new teachers every year ... no gym teacher, no council for the kids, no active teams the children can join and once you get to really know how the principal operates .. it is apparent WHY PPL LEAVE.

Posted January 10, 2013

Academically this school is great but Ms. Lopes and her intimidating ways will drive you out of the school. She is a control freak who does not allow the children to run or play during recess (despite there being a new and expensive padded floor), the children aren't allow to speak in the lunchroom and when she enters a room everyone must stop speaking. She bullys the parents and her staff aswell. Her rules make it so that the children are miserable. The classrooms have 40 children in them and 1 teacher, there isn't even a teachers assistant. There are always new teachers every year becasue she is so impossible. The teachers are very nice but it is only so much they can do. This school does not offer any extra curricular activities for the children who have to stay in afterschool because she does not want them walking up and down the stairs.. She also holds PTA meetings mid morning so that no one with a real job can be there. She has no interest in the parents concerns because ultimately its her way.

Posted July 6, 2012

The principal is a tyrant and it's her way or the highway!!! Teachers and staff are visibly scared of her!!!! If they speak up she fires them!!!! The children are scared of her! She needs to go! The classes are doubled up!!! Around 40 kids per classroom!!!!!!!!!! This is not conducive to learning!!!!! I have transferred my child!!!

Posted June 14, 2012

I love st Anselm school. I chose to send my boys there so they will receive a wonderful education. Ms Lopes and her staff teach the children discipline respect and the academics required to succeed. When I drop my boys off every morning I know they are in a safe environment and that is very important. I commend Ms Lopes and her staff for a job well done. As my son prepares for graduation I will miss st Anselm and thank them so much for preparing my son for high school and beyond. I salute Ms Lopes today and always.

Posted June 13, 2012

As a member of the faculty, I take pride in our students learning in an educational setting where they can be priased and rewarded for their successes and corrected for their behavior when warranted. I thank Miss Lopes for fostering a learning environment that balances faith formation, academic achievement and the building of self discipline that will stay with our students beyond their years here at St. Anselm School.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 12, 2012

I have to thank Ms. Lopes for all the support and help given to my son during his time at St. Anselm's School. She took the time to meet with me and my husband more than once to explain and help my son in school. I sincerely appreciate her concern and hard work with the children at the school including my son.

Posted June 6, 2012

St.Anselm is a great school that provides good quality education and spiritual growth. Ms. Lopes has done a terrific job as principle in making sure the children have a balance between education and extra cirricular activities. She provides a safe and controlled environment at all times. The staff and teachers are fantastic and are alway's there to help. .

Posted June 6, 2012

outstanding!! I have two children that attend St.Anselm school and I myself am an alumni. St.anselm has set a great foundation for my children and i am very proud and satisfied with the education that my children are recieving. Ms. Lopes is an outstanding principle. she is very deicated and is a leader who does not lose focus on providing a good education with good staff and teacher's. St,Anselm Rock's!! Congratulation's to this Year's graduating class of 2012

Posted May 24, 2012

I am having the same problem. I file a complaint with Archdiocese of New York regarding her code of conduct and the INTIMIDATION she is giving the younger children. My review was actually deleted as she felt it was to straight forward regarding her being a bully. Children fear her and is not out of respect but because they are AFRAID. DONT REMOVE YOUR CHILD AND FILE A COMPLAINT. this is not a public school and its not a military school.. she need to be investigated and we as parents need to step up to the plate..I THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST and dont stay quiet, speak up, to much money its being invested in that school and it cannot all go in renovations.. counseling is more appropriately then having a child suspended, and kicked out of the school which is her way of correction.. She needs to retire and stop intimidating the students.. Those staff members who have spoken up have lost their jobs, and parets who have defended their children have been denied services or kicked out of the school.. YOU HAVE MORE AUTHORITY THEN SHE DOES.. FILE A COMPLAINT WITH Archdiocese of New York. talk to other parents and encourage them to do the same. YOU ARE NOT ALONE..! THE MEDIA IS MY NEXT STEP. XO

Posted May 9, 2012

Thank You for all that St. Anselm have done for my child, the spiritual guidance, the growth socially and emotionally that my child has develop is thanks to all of you second parents to my daughter. thank you for making Science so much fun and for all that extra activities that help my child to be more social with her peers and teachers. THANK YOU all

Posted June 23, 2011

Great School truly fulfilling the Gospel Message! I am a graduate of the School 1963 and found that my time there help me to decide to serve the Lord as a priest and the sisters were extremely supported, Fr. Eric P. Vargas,SVD

Posted February 7, 2011

FANTASTIC school! I currently have a 8th and 4th grader attending. I am very pleased with both their academic and spiritual growth. It is a small school with a BIG HEART. The leadership in the school is great. Without , Ms. Lopes the school would not run the way it's run. The students wear there uniform with pride. The teachers are expected to be professional at all times and are pushes to give there best to our children. I am Grateful for all of them. The school building is immaculate.

Posted May 25, 2010

As an alumni of St. Anselm's,class of 86, I would not consider senting my children to any other school. I know that my daily trip from Manhattan to the bronx, so that my kids can obtain discipline and excellent academic knowledge is all worth the trip, thanks the outstanding staff and excellent leadership of a great principal, Ms. Lopes. Not only does this school have outstanding academic programs, but also all the extra sports,music & theater class that are offered to the students as afterschool activity. The administrative staff is also a great group of staff members with great knowledge of how the school is handled & discipline, and amazingly know the names of all the students. As of my 3rd grade teacher, now the principle, St. Anselm's could not have choosen a better dedicated leader to represent the name that has been in our community for over 100 years.

Posted March 23, 2010

I have been part of the St. Anselm's School community since I was in the 2nd grade. It has played a very big part of my life and now it is part of my son's.

Posted September 1, 2009

I have two children in St. Anselms. I've compared the academics to other Catholic schools and St. Anselms is more advanced, which makes me feel that I am getting my money's worth and that my children are getting a quality education. The teachers have all been very dedicated and have shown that they have the children's best interest at heart. Ms. Lopes is extremely strict but I love that about her. I feel very confident that my children are safe under her direction and believe that she needs to be strict to keep the excellent discipline she has over the school. I have also witnessed her sensitive side. I never forget the day she jumped over the fence to get to a child that had fainted in the park. I think she is well-balanced: strict but caring.

Posted June 20, 2009

I have my kids in the school, Both of them have learned so much and the teachers are always nice and ready to help

Posted May 14, 2009

I have to say that my experience at St. Anselms has been the worst. I'm a parent who likes to be involved in my son's educational life. I like to help out and reason with everything. The administrative people that work in the office seriously need some Administrative professional training. Many times I have gone to ask questions, and say my opinion and they look at me like if I just dropped from a planet. They don't show any effort in hearing a parent out and their attitude stinks and can be very rude at times. As for the principal, she can be nice sometimes but if it's not her way or say you can forget about it. There's too much favortism and I'm taking my son out.

Posted March 17, 2009

What can I say about this school- I have my three kids in this school and I love it. They have grown in this school academically and spiritually.

• Teresa M. Lopes
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious