No rating

St Margaret Mary School

Private | PK-8 | 353 students

Living in Bronx

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $385,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,140.

Posted April 9, 2014

This school has provided me with a good foundation for high school. Teachers try to help you so you do not fall behind. The principal is very strict and can seem mean until you are in 8th grade, then she gives you a break. You then realize why she was so strict over the years, but in a way it has paid off, because she stops treating you like a little child. However, for the TACHS exam, if you do not pick schools she likes, you will never hear the end of it. She will try to convince you to change your mind about the schools you chose, but at the end of the day, she isn't paying your tuition, so your choice is your choice. There are no fun after school activites or sports programs, that are free. There is an after school program but you have to pay, and all you do is homework. You don't do arts and crafts or anything of that sort when you have finished your homework. My years at St. Margaret Mary has been a joy even though sometimes there were difficulties along the way. The school is also somewhat family oriented and that's also good. This school is great academic wise, but not for sports or anything in that sort. This school can use some improvement.

Posted September 9, 2013

My son is currently enrolled in SMM since preK and is starting Kindergarden and I can honestly say its a great school. For his age he really advanced. Sr. Veronica is strict but I wouldnt want it any other way. The teachers and principal are very involved and if your child falls behind is because your not doing your part. SMM is not a play ground and if you expecting leniency then its not the school for your child. Who wants to pay for a childs education and not expext them to learn discipline and structure and over all get a great education.

Posted August 24, 2013

I was a former student here and all I have to say is the principal is disrespectful see screams at the children for no reason at all!! I hope she gets fired!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted June 29, 2012

I attended this school from 4th grade-8th grade (class of 2003), and over all I have a great experience at this school. Yes it was VERY strict but I expected that from a Catholic school. One thing I did not like was the principle (Sr.Ann Veronica). She told my mother my sister (who also attended this school) and I will not make it in life because my parents didn't know english. That was very ignorant, we are both now college graduates.

Posted January 29, 2011

This is an excellent local school, with an emphasis on academics. My oldest child has attended this school since Pre-K, and was accepted in a number of prestigious high schools. The principal does not expect anything less than full effort from the students and the parents, and does not tolerate anything that sidetracks the children from academic excellence! The problem is that some parents believe that paying for a private school education affords them some form of entitlement, and they have a reality check when they confront Sister Ann Veronica. As a side note, there was a point in time where there were shows that show cased the talents of the children, but due to an unfortunate event several years ago with some unruly guests these activities were suspended to protect the children. If the parents cannot make a good judgment calls as to who you invite into your children s lives, then they must deal with the consequences. The principal will ensure their safety first, parents need to understand that if they want their children to succeed . Then you leave the certain behaviors outside of the school, and let the teachers do their jobs, they are not babysitters.

Posted December 7, 2010

I am a former student of this school. The education is by far the best you will ever provide for your child. I learned so much from just 4 years at this school. You can not buy discipline and excellent study habits for your child. I never had any trouble in high school and was always ahead of my peers. I went to college to get a software engineering degree and I did not struggle one bit graduating with a 3.9 GPA. I even got hired with a full time paying job as a software engineer while I was still in school being paid as if I was a graduate. They will inculcate the finest education for your child but it is the discipline that will help them succeed. When I tell people I got my education from the Bronx you should see the look on their face. Class of 97

Posted April 27, 2010

From what Ive been told this school has no extracurricula activities. Very low student enrollment and is the poorest in the archdioceses. People in the area send their kids to 'other' parochial schools in the area.

Posted November 11, 2008

I went to this school and although I didn't like it at the time, because of the mean nuns, I look back and realized how much love the faculty had for me, and how much I learned from them. I went on to high school and college, and was always ahead of my classmates because of my education from SMM. Now, I am working on my B.S. at MIT. I remember all the important things I learned at SMM, and how much they have helped me in my life. SMM is the place where everybody is given the opportunity to become leaders, and the education to become tycoons.

Posted August 31, 2008

As a former student and parent of a current student I am proud to be a part the St. Margaret Mary community. I am excited to have the opportunity to expose my son to what was an amazing educational experience for me.

Posted August 3, 2008

i like this school, the teachers are awesome but way too strick, i am just kidding. the teachers really try to be friends with u, and they make u laugh. i am now going to the beginning of middle school and i am only gonna say one thing, if u want a good education, fun, and fantastic faculty, please apply!

Posted February 24, 2008

i am currently attending st. margaret mary school, and i am in the 7th grade. this school is like totally amazing. the teachers are very involved, the principal is even more involved, and discipline is the least of anybody's worries because every student at SMM is well behaved. if you want to provide your child with a great education, spiritual envolvement, and A SAFE ENVIRONMENT, coming from a student who is doing her 8th yr here...i say ENROLL!

Posted July 17, 2007

I'm a former student and the time spent there was the best time I ever had. I learned about God and life.

Posted June 6, 2007

This school is great the teachers love the kids. And work very hard to keep them above grade average.

Posted June 28, 2004

The staff are very friendly and the teachers are like your best friends (after school work is done). It's just like a family. I had a great time in this school and I miss it a lot.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 9, 2003

I attended St. Margaret Mary School for 9 years. I had to deal with a strict dress code, strict teachers, an involved principal, and I actually had to do work. But I guess it payed off because now I am a 4.0 student attending a good college and I have a good job. Elementary and junior high school are very important. They are the foundation that is needed to secure future success. If and when I decide to have children, I will definitely enroll them in St. Margaret Mary school. I felt like the staff truly cared about my future and I would want to give my children the same opportunities given to me.

Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 2% N/A
Asian 1% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Ann Veronica Bivona
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

121 East 177th Street