Bronx, NY

St Margaret Mary School 4

Posted April 09, 2014
This school has provided me with a good foundation for high school. Teachers try to help you so you do not fall behind. The principal is very strict and can seem mean until you are in 8th grade, then she gives you a break. You then realize why she was so strict over the years, but in a way it has paid off, because she stops treating you like a little child. However, for the TACHS exam, if you do not pick schools she likes, you will never hear the end of it. She will try to convince you to change your mind about the schools you chose, but at the end of the day, she isn't paying your tuition, so your choice is your choice. There are no fun after school activites or sports programs, that are free. There is an after school program but you have to pay, and all you do is homework. You don't do arts and crafts or anything of that sort when you have finished your homework. My years at St. Margaret Mary has been a joy even though sometimes there were difficulties along the way. The school is also somewhat family oriented and that's also good. This school is great academic wise, but not for sports or anything in that sort. This school can use some improvement.

Posted September 09, 2013
My son is currently enrolled in SMM since preK and is starting Kindergarden and I can honestly say its a great school. For his age he really advanced. Sr. Veronica is strict but I wouldnt want it any other way. The teachers and principal are very involved and if your child falls behind is because your not doing your part. SMM is not a play ground and if you expecting leniency then its not the school for your child. Who wants to pay for a childs education and not expext them to learn discipline and structure and over all get a great education.

St Margaret Mary School 1

Posted August 24, 2013
I was a former student here and all I have to say is the principal is disrespectful see screams at the children for no reason at all!! I hope she gets fired!!!!!!!!!!!!

St Margaret Mary School 3

Posted June 29, 2012
I attended this school from 4th grade-8th grade (class of 2003), and over all I have a great experience at this school. Yes it was VERY strict but I expected that from a Catholic school. One thing I did not like was the principle (Sr.Ann Veronica). She told my mother my sister (who also attended this school) and I will not make it in life because my parents didn't know english. That was very ignorant, we are both now college graduates.

Posted January 29, 2011
This is an excellent local school, with an emphasis on academics. My oldest child has attended this school since Pre-K, and was accepted in a number of prestigious high schools. The principal does not expect anything less than full effort from the students and the parents, and does not tolerate anything that sidetracks the children from academic excellence! The problem is that some parents believe that paying for a private school education affords them some form of entitlement, and they have a reality check when they confront Sister Ann Veronica. As a side note, there was a point in time where there were shows that show cased the talents of the children, but due to an unfortunate event several years ago with some unruly guests these activities were suspended to protect the children. If the parents cannot make a good judgment calls as to who you invite into your children s lives, then they must deal with the consequences. The principal will ensure their safety first, parents need to understand that if they want their children to succeed . Then you leave the certain behaviors outside of the school, and let the teachers do their jobs, they are not babysitters.

Posted December 07, 2010
I am a former student of this school. The education is by far the best you will ever provide for your child. I learned so much from just 4 years at this school. You can not buy discipline and excellent study habits for your child. I never had any trouble in high school and was always ahead of my peers. I went to college to get a software engineering degree and I did not struggle one bit graduating with a 3.9 GPA. I even got hired with a full time paying job as a software engineer while I was still in school being paid as if I was a graduate. They will inculcate the finest education for your child but it is the discipline that will help them succeed. When I tell people I got my education from the Bronx you should see the look on their face. Class of 97

St Margaret Mary School 1

Posted April 27, 2010
From what Ive been told this school has no extracurricula activities. Very low student enrollment and is the poorest in the archdioceses. People in the area send their kids to 'other' parochial schools in the area.

Posted March 27, 2010

St Margaret Mary School 2

Posted June 23, 2009

Posted November 11, 2008
I went to this school and although I didn't like it at the time, because of the mean nuns, I look back and realized how much love the faculty had for me, and how much I learned from them. I went on to high school and college, and was always ahead of my classmates because of my education from SMM. Now, I am working on my B.S. at MIT. I remember all the important things I learned at SMM, and how much they have helped me in my life. SMM is the place where everybody is given the opportunity to become leaders, and the education to become tycoons.

St Margaret Mary School
121 East 177th Street, Bronx, NY  10453
Last modified St Margaret Mary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St Margaret Mary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top