No rating

Our Saviour Lutheran School

Private | PK-12 | 186 students

Living in Bronx

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $400,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Sweep tile

Posted September 18, 2012

Only two weeks since my nephew has been in the school. The third grade teacher is the worst. How can a teacher ask the kids In a sarcastic manner who's name is on the door and asked them if thier parents are the boss at the school .when they say to the teacher my mom wants to know why something is the way it is, Another thing is that the school doesn't allot the kids enough time to change for gym, so they were told they have to wear the gym uniform under their school uniform four times a week . My nephew is a size 10 but I have to buy a 12 or 14 to accommodate the gym uniform underneath. Why should a child have to walk around with a gym uniform under their school uniform all day after playing in the gym The school is expensive which I don't mind because the classrooms are small, but they don't have enough activities for the younger grades. The person at the front desk never has the answer to any question that you ask.

Posted October 10, 2011

I am the parent of two current Our Saviour students and I have been very pleased with the new administrative team. While the early childhood department (PK-2) was great for our kids, I have now been seeing a lot of positive changes in the rest of the school this year. Parental involvement and communication is much improved with teachers having websites where I can check in on my children's progress or e-mail their teacher or the principal a question. New High School and Junior High teachers have brought some much needed energy, and there seems to be a much improved community spirit at the school.

Posted May 18, 2011

After 2nd grade this school leaves a lot to be desired! The 2nd grade teacher is in a class by himself and most parents want to clone him for each grade. The 3rd grade teacher is jaded and allowed to scream at the children daily and almost non-stop. The 6th grade teacher is the WORSE! What makes it so bad is that the administration has done nothing to reform the lack of organization, the teacher's punitive approach to the children and poor classroom management. So disappointed and we pay too much to receive bad public school type services. Parent involvement is only encouraged to raise funds but not as an organized body of stakeholders.

Posted March 21, 2011

When my parents were looking for a HS for me, they took me to OSL to apply. I was accepted but decided not to go at the last minute, opting for a new college prep HS. Several years later, I took my daughter and enrolled her in middle school. While she is doing phenominally well, the school is run down and in desparate need of repair. The leadership seems weak and overall, even though the tuition continues to increase, it does not seem like they are re-investing in the growth, development and enhancement of the school. My daughter made some special friendships here but she and they have all emphatically stated that they do not want to attend HS here.

Posted February 2, 2011

I am an alumnae from this school. I have to say this school set the foundation for me to be an outstanding college and graduate student. I am grateful that I attended this school.

Posted November 6, 2009

The teachers are great and my daughter is learning a lot.

Posted November 6, 2009

Our Saviour Lutheran School is a great school with very dedicated teachers that make a difference in your childrens lives coupled with their christian environment that welcomes everyone whether they are Lutheran or not.

Posted November 5, 2009

OSL school has some of the best teachers out there who whole heartedly care about their pupils.

Posted November 5, 2009

Our Saviour is a great school with small classes and very caring teachers in a Christian atmosphere.

Posted November 4, 2009

Our Saviour Lutheran is outstanding, academically and socially. My son thrives there, he is a honor student and loves to be in school.

Posted November 4, 2009

OSL is the best school ever!...the teachers, Mr. D and Mr. M make it the greatest!

Posted November 4, 2009

Our Saviour Lutheran has good teachers who care about their education.

Posted November 4, 2009

I like this school for my child she comes home everyday telling me that she has learned something new.

Posted November 3, 2009

I love OSL because of its commitment to a holistic education. OSL is a culturally diverse school which combines a strong academic curriculum with arts education, physical education, and a spiritual education througouth all Grades. One of my favorite activities is an annual 3-day/2-night environmental camping trip to Blairstown, NJ where the students (Grades 4 - 6) are exposed to a wide variety of activities that increase their knowledge about the nature, pioneer living (we actually made our own butter!) and survival in the outdoors. Additionally, students have an opportunity to engage in service activities such as annual food drives; fundraising for American Cancer Society, and a 30-hour fast for World Hunger. This year, they introduced foreign language classes--Spanish--for the middle school! As a parent, I find the teachers and administration open, transparent and willing to partner to ensure the best outcomes for my children.

Posted March 12, 2009

This school is a very good Christian School with small classes. I highly recommend it.

Posted August 25, 2008

I started to attend this school in 1st grade, since then on I've had a wonderful experience here! The teachers are focused, dedicated, and enthusiastic! They want what is best for the student as does the parents. I think it's wrong for the parents to blame OSL for their childrens inattentiveness or distruptive behavior. The students have a job to do: be determinated and strive. I've learned a lot of educational things from this school, especially from Ms. Figueroa and Ms.Echavarry. This school doesn't deprive anyone of knowledge, but gives them the choice to feed on it. I'm currently entering 7th grade and I believe that this school is the best one around.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 18, 2008

Terrible experience! My daughter attended middle school and two grades of high school. The staff was inattentive, the leadership is sorely lacking, and the discipline is non-existent. The students go outside and create a ruckus, which can be very intimidating for children that are not aggressive by nature. I highly recommend you skip this school if you want what s best for your child.

Posted October 29, 2007

My child started out in preschool and graduated to kindergarten this year. However, there is a vast disparity with the quality of the staff, discipline and overall responsiveness to parental concerns. The current kindergarten, after care and administration are disconnected and have have strayed from the school's mission statement. I am desperately looking for another school.

Posted December 5, 2006

My son is in the 2nd grade with Mr. Barran and he is doing well. I am especially impressed with his art program and music. My son is an advanced student and his teachers makes a point to offer more challenging work in his stronger areas. Mr. Barran is a caring, disciplined teacher in a school that fosters respect, community and high standards. I am proud that my son attends Our Savior.

Posted November 10, 2005

I strongly would not recommend the school if you want your child to have a well-rounded education. The school lacks guidance counseling, PTA board and a qualified administration. And for these reasons I removed my child from the school. I strongly believe I was doing him a disservice by allowing him to stay.

Asian 1% N/A
Asian N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Paul Sauer
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Lutheran church - missouri synod

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1734 Williamsbridge Rd