Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Amount of homework: no rating

We don't really give homework at our school. We know our students will never do it so we don't bother.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Our school was recently rated "Well-Developed", and this rating is directly tied to teacher effectiveness. We have an extremely talented staff, and I feel honored as a teacher to work side-by-side with colleagues that are as dedicated and talented as ours. Speaking to the teams I am directly a part of, our Dual Language teachers plan and teach in both English and Spanish at a high level of rigor in both languages. Our Software Engineering teachers are at the forefront of developing curriculum in a rapidly changing content area and attend monthly 7 hour professional developments on Saturdays to expand and develop our curriculum. We have several model teachers that act as mentors and offer their classrooms for open intervisitation throughout the year in several content areas and across grades. I've had the pleasure of teaching with 2 model teachers each week, and our students are engaged and excited about what we do, from debates on the merits of animal testing in SGI to our dystopian book clubs and fan fiction short stories.

Amount of homework: Agree

I think there is a reasonable balance of homework in this school. There is daily ELA homework (including the reading logs and related jots/post-its/essays), and math generally has daily homework. Other classes may have daily, bi-weekly, or weekly tasks, depending on the subject.

Develops character: Strongly agree

We have core values as a school and we reward and shout-out students that demonstrate these values (Scholarship, Reflection, Relentlessness, Teamwork, Compassion). Part of being reflective is showing honesty in where we are and where we can grow. We commend our students on holding themselves and others to rubrics that we develop together, in hopes that scores and feedback are fair.

I am a teacher at MS/HS 223 and love it. I teach 6th and 7th grade and I'm very impressed with the professionalism of our staff and leaders. We were recently honored as a Chancellor's Distinguished Dual Language School, and our school has partnered with numerous organizations to bring educational and enrichment opportunities to our students. Some of our partners include Harvard Book Clubs, Blue Engine, iMentor, Software Engineering Pilot (SEP), Robin Hood Foundation, Matisse Foundation, Urban Tech, Edelman Foundation, Arete Education Inc, and ESA's Digital Living Project. Our students engage in rigorous discussions in Socratic Seminars, tackle real-world exemplars in math, design and implement high-level project-based assessments (PBATS) across content areas, and write in multiple coding languages in middle and high school (HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Python, Ruby on Rails, etc). As a parent, I plan to send my own children to MS/HS 223, because I have faith that it is a high quality school with amazing opportunities to offer our students.

This school is NOT what it appears to be! A lot of the teachers at 223 quit annually because the admin "bullies" them.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The "turnover rate" at this school is very, very high. The principal only hires teachers right out of college and they normally quit after the first year due to the principals "over stepping" of his authority.

Amount of homework: Disagree

I have been told that many students who go to this school generally pass even if they do not do the work and a lot of the times the grades are given by the administration and not the teachers.

The Laboratory School of Finance and Technology is an exciting and innovative student-centered learning community that provides a rigorous academic program in a supportive environment. Our friendly and colorful classrooms are laboratories of intensive and challenging instruction. Located on the corner of 145th St. and 3rd Ave., MS 223 opened in September 2003 and has grown into one of the most popular and well-known middle schools in the entire Bronx. At the Laboratory School of Finance and Technology, we expect our children to be prepared for the future, so we teach them the skills to become successful adults. Our main themes are finance (The management of large amounts of money) and technology (The use of scientific knowledge for practical purposes). In our small, technology-rich classrooms students explore and combine their many interests, talents, and ideas in a risk-free atmosphere that engages every child. We believe that learning becomes more meaningful when it has a purpose.

I Graduated MS.223 This Year And I Enjoyed My 3 Years In This School. Even Though I Was a Handful,None Of My Teachers Let Me Down And None Of The Teachers Gave Up On Me! The School Is In A Bad Neighborhood But It Is A Great School Academically. The Work Given Is Challenging To Have Your Mind Working.

Last modified Middle School 223 Laboratory School of Finance and Technology is a Public school that serves grades 6-10. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.