Bad
Good

I went to Lehman a few years ago, my last year was when they installed the metal detectors. It's a very big school, if you can find yourself into the honor program you can really take advantage of what the schools offers. They offer numerous AP classes that transfer over when you move into college, and the honor classes help prepare students for college.

When I was a student, they had programs that other schools did not offer. they also had a handful of AP college level courses that permitted you to get college credit

There have been multiple threats to close this school stating that it is persistently failing but despite all this Lehman has upgraded its overall report card from an "F" to a "D" The fact that it has changed at all through many administrative takeovers is a miracle. This is because there is commitment to our students' academic success. What Lehman High School can proudly state is that there is a huge percentage of students who AFTER they graduate from our school, not only enter college but do NOT need remedial course work to get to collegiate level work. This statistic comes from the colleges these students apply to and therefore cannot be controlled by Lehman High School directly. This statistic has been consistent and shows that we have demonstrated success despite attempts to close us down. When compared to our peer group schools,whose report card ratings would make us appear less academically equipped, our college readiness score remains better than theirs. Their college readiness does not even come close. This school has been a testimony to academic achievement and to the continued fervor and dedication with which our faculty teach. We deserve to remain open.

I'm a junior at this school, let me just say something. Yes, this school is highly unorganized, the students are disruptive and very lazy, the schedules are constantly changed multiple times. The teacher are excellent though, the principal is working as hard as she can to get these students the academic knowledge they need. The problem is these teenagers are not willing to cooperate with the teachers and the work they're given. I try to be an excellent student and all of my teachers like me, and I like them. The teachers are best at what they do. It's a great high school, the problem is the students. Lehman High School will accept anyone into the school regardless of their previous transcript/grades. I think they should change their system of accepting students into the school. In addition, Lehman has WAY too many students, it's about over 4000, possibly more. The students idly stand in the hallway talking to their peers as if they don't have any classes coming up, it's horrendous. They need to fix this, as soon as possible, because it's not Lehman, it's the students. I believe the reason this school is unorganized due to the excessive amount of the students.

My child is in his second year at Lehman. He likes his teachers and finds them very supportive. The only thing he has a problem with is his fellow students. He finds the majority very lazy. and disruptive to the class. My child wants and education. It is unfair to allow those that don't want to learn to undermine his education.

I have been in Lehman for the past two year, I agree with people when they say that the schedules are in chaos but they are only in chaos during the first two weeks of school. The teachers are exceptional, they put 120% into teaching their students, however the reason that Lehman got such a failing grade is because of the students. If the students don't put any effort to pass then they wont, its plain and simple. The teachers are very dedicated to their students passing, they will assist them in anyway. I love this school and it doesn't deserve the grade that it received.

A year after my son enrolled, metal detectors were installed. This school is completely unorganized. Students are put into the wrong classes, schedules are constantly being changed because of sloppy work and an excess of students. Each year my son has attended, there are always changes to his schedule and he ends up getting graded for being in a class he should never have been put into. So when it comes time for report cards, there is a low grade because he was put into another class without notifying the existing teacher of the situation. It also failed in being a HS. I have tried to change my son's school but it seems no one is willing to help or listen as I got nothing but encouragement about this being a great school. The only plus side to this is that the teachers are good at what they do. If you don't want to bother with the chaos, save yourself the headache and find another school.

i go to school at lehman, and it is not a violent school, i dont know why anyone is saying that. im the chief editor of its developing newspaper. since the new principal entered office after Leader retired, the school has declined. the metal detectors have been installed, and people scream in the hallways. however despite rumors, they have excellent teachers and it is still among the best public high school's in the bronx.

its a terrible school it should get shut down they are no help they let kids get beat up then stop fights.

This school got an F on the annual report card issued by the NYCDOE. I am transferring out this year.

Last modified Herbert H Lehman High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.