Hyde Leadership Charter School

Charter | K-12 | 950 students

We are best known for Family-Based Character Education.

Living in Bronx

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $280,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,130.

Posted June 2, 2014

I've been a Hyde parent for 6 years. Like all NY city schools Hyde has had it's struggles but it remains the one and only choice for my children and their education. It's an excellent school and the teachers are very dedicated. I'm a proud parent and my children are blessed to have so many people invested in their future, thank you Hyde family ...

Posted May 31, 2014

To be honest I think the school cares more about the teachers then the students, all I really hear is discipline, and money problems.

Posted April 2, 2014

I LOVE HYDE BECAUSE THERE FEEL LIKE FAMILY THEY HEALD WORK SHOPS EVERY MONTH. VERY INTERESTING TOPICS FOR PARENTS AND CHILDREN BUILD A SELF AND UNIQUE POTENTIAL THAT EACH OF OUR KIDS HAVE INSIDE AND SO UNDERSTAND LIFE POURPOSE.

Posted April 2, 2014

Good school, high school needs a new principal. The teachers are good. Successful Friday is a joke. The family discovery group meetings are good.

Posted October 24, 2013

I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SCHOOL THAT CARES AS MUCH AS HYDE DOES. THEY PROMOTE FAMILY TOGETHERNESS. I HAVE LEARNED ALOT ABOUT MY SON AS WELL AS MYSELF IN HIS 4 YRS BEING IN HYDE. I AM TRULY BLESSED THAT WE WERE ABLE TO FIND A SCHOOL LIKE THIS.

Posted September 16, 2013

Hyde Leadership Charter School is a blessing to my child. The staff is always attentive to the parents and the children and that provides help whenever they are needed....Love this school

Posted September 16, 2013

I've been a Hyde parent for 8 years. Like all NY city schools Hyde has had it's struggles but it remains the one and only choice for my children and their education. It's an excellent school and the teachers are very dedicated. I'm a proud parent and my children are blessed to have so many people invested in their future,

Posted September 13, 2013

I like the fact that Hyde staff know my kids by their names not just by a number. I like how they discipline the kids and do not tolerate bulling. I love how they appreciate parents involvement.

Posted September 12, 2013

Hyde Leadership Charter School is AMAZING!!! I have 2 children who both attend Hyde. One of my children is currently in his 7th year and my daughter in her third and I cannot be happier. Hyde is definitely a school that focuses on character as well as academics. I am always welcome in my children's school. My children are greeted by name each and every morning by school leadership staff members. Both of my children read at above average levels because of the joint effort of myself and my children's teachers. I find myself bragging about the school to my friends and even random people I speak to on the bus or train. Keep up the good work. As long as both of my children are successful and happy, I'm happy!!!!

Posted September 12, 2013

Hyde is a wonderful place for willing and able minded families. Hyde builds character and changes families. I have had a lovely experience at this school. My daughter has been apart of this community for 8 years. She has grown into a wonderful amazing leader. My family has transformed through the family education department. I am very proud to be apart of Hyde.

Posted July 7, 2013

I can't believe the emphasis this school puts more on behavior than the academics.The LOW state test scores speak 4themselves! I can't count the times my son (3rg grade) would spend in the dean's office for "fooling around" in the classroom: leaning back on his chair, calling out answers, drinking water in the classroom, bringing baseball cards, not sharing his school supplies (I do not provide for other people's children I wish I could), asking the teacher to re-explain herself when teaching a lesson because he didn't understand(really!), not wanting to sit on DA rug when it came time to listen to a story. (although I was told it was optional to sit on the rug). I mean he is just a kid seeing his classmates do a lot worse & they were able to remain in the classroom. My son was classified as being defiant, disrespectful, rude, anti-social, etc. Of course his classmates would copy the adults and use him as the scapegoat for everything that went wrong in the classroom. I think they need to have a re-training of their teachers, deans, and staff. There was never make-up work for time spent in the office. no stars

Posted June 14, 2013

this school was horrible for my son. My son was a lively happy carefree child who constantly was bullied and ridiculed by students and sometimes staff. His first grade teacher used to make fun of him and had the class laugh at him because he didn't want to share. My son became very withdrawn and sad.The outcome of bringing this to the attention of the leadership team was deny, deny, deny. Bullies were not reprimanded for their actions and it shouldn't have surprised me since the teacher was never reprimanded. My son's academics suffered a great deal because of the low self-esteem he got at Hyde. Discovery groups were a joke! Monthly meetings of parents and staff were ridiculous since the teacher was so immature. My son told me that his 1st grade teacher would read text messages she received from her boyfriend to the class. One such message was him breaking up his relationship with her and she told the kids to leave her alone because she was not in the mood that day! I have never experienced such umprofessionalism in my life needless to say for my child to have been exposed to such trivial matters! This school is HORRIBLE!!!! no stars for this school

Posted April 21, 2013

Hyde Leadership Charter School (aka Hyde-Bronx) is an amazing school. They believe that developing child's character is as important as developing a child's mind. I am beyond impressed with the school. It is a wonderful place for children -- and their parents -- to learn. Not only is the academic program rigorous, but Hyde-Bronx differs fundamentally from other schools because of its intense focus on character development and parent involvement. Students, parents and teachers participate in a program that regularly addresses each individual's personal growth. Hyde-Bronx is a supportive and challenging environment where students, teachers and staff hold each other to their best. A Harvard EdLabs-conducted study showed that when Hyde-Bronx's students are admitted, they score similarly or below the students at surrounding local schools. However, once enrolled in Hyde-Bronx, students make significantly more progress than those students who were not lotteried in and are now attending other schools. The Harvard study found that Hyde-Bronx middle school students gained approximately one month of learning in math and two months in English for each year they were enrolled in Hyde-Bronx.

Posted November 1, 2012

This school will regress your child to a state you've never witnessed before. My daughter attended this school and was constantly bullyed while teachers, staff, and administrators did NOTHING! My daughter begin to have nightmares and didn't even want to go to school anymore. Hyde either played FAVORITES with certain kids or FEARED certain parents. Hyde did NOT hold every child accountable for their actions. Every ting was ALWAYS an accident when my daughter would get pushed, hit by the same bully. Homework was nilch compared to want my nieces were receiving in public school. Needless to say, the workshops they held for the 3rd grade ELA/MATH was a joke! My daughter came back with incomplete work from those workshops. Honestly this school needs a serious make-over from the inside out!. I must say when my daughter was in 1st grade she had the best teacher..Ms Aquino! Hyde should have every teacher follow in her lead. after that it went downhill from there! I cannot stressed how this school is not for those who want a better education for their kids. I have since enrolled my daughter in the NYc Public School system and I couldn't be happier. There is more structure and learning!

Posted October 13, 2011

I Attended the required once a month Parent Discovery Night tonight and was very pleased to find that the school had set up a Math Workshop which was taught by three dynamic math teachers. This is just one of the many things that makes Hyde so unique. This Years theme is Picture the Possibilities . Little things like this is what inspires Hyde students to dream bigger dreams. I m really impressed with the quality of teachers Hyde is hiring. Hyde really is bringing in the best for the students of the South Bronx. There s tons of programs for our kids to partake in.From the Roberta Flack Music Program,Sports,Girl Scouts,Performing Arts, They have a beautiful Library for all three divisions and more. Recently, Hyde inaugurated their new High School building.I can only hope an Elementary/Middle School building will follow in the near future. The Staff is amazing and like family to me.The Parents and Volunteers in the school are really special people. My daughter and I started this journey 5 years ago and as we continue this amazing educational adventure I don t want to imagine our lives without the support of Hyde and their talented staff.They are truly a diamond in the rough.~drb

Posted May 15, 2010

Hyde is an amazing center of education, integrity, and community for the South Bronx. I feel privileged to witness the impact they are making on the lives of students and their their families. It is truly an inspiring example of how education can extend above and beyond traditional roles of academics and become an institution not only of learning, but also self discovery for everyone involved.

Posted May 14, 2010

School is a place where children should go to be educated and inspired at hype this goal is truly accomplished. Hyde students are confident, assured, ready and prepared to tackle challenges. The entire administration offers an environment that is well prepared and equipt to teach. Hyde students are proud of themselves and their teachers. Hyde students have good reason to also be proud of their parents. Hype lives up to my belief and daily creed to my son that college is not an option it is a requirement. With hyde determination and consistancy my son- like we say each morning is truly college bound. Go hyde

Posted May 14, 2010

Hyde is an amazing school with a track record of success and longevity. As a teacher in Hyde's first year open, I was witness to and partner in their effort to develop a strong, supportive community where one did not exist before. The focus on Character development is beyond important. The student-citizens that Hyde helps develop will be immensely valuable to their communities as they grow older and become adults. The lessons learned at Hyde will not easily be forgotten.

Posted May 14, 2010

This school is doing an outstanding job of teaching students.

Posted May 14, 2010

Hyde is a really Good school, I love the dicipline, I feel that my daughter is safe and is getting a really good education.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

71 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 29% in 2014.

78 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 38% in 2014.

78 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 29% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 33% in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 36% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 22% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II/Trigonometry

The state average for Algebra II/Trigonometry was 66% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 76% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 72% in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 77% in 2013.

157 students were tested at this school in 2013.

French

The state average for French was 95% in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 74% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Global History and Geography

The state average for Global History and Geography was 71% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Algebra

The state average for Integrated Algebra was 73% in 2013.

253 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Living Environment

The state average for Living Environment was 77% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

Spanish

The state average for Spanish was 94% in 2011.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 80% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Regents Examinations to test high school students in English, math, global history and geography, US history and government, living environment, chemistry, Earth science and physics. Students must take at least five Regents Exams in order to graduate. Scores of 65 and above are passing; scores of 55 and above earn credit toward a local diploma (with the approval of the local board of education). The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra II/Trigonometry

Students with disabilities75%
General population81%
Not migrant80%
Scale: % passing

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Hispanic 1 58% 23%

Master's degree and above 14%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Clubs
  • Debate
  • It's Academic
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 913 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

7.5

8.6

7.4

6.6

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

7.4

8.7

7.7

5.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.2

8.5

7.1

6.0

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

7.6

• 8:00 am
School end time
  • 4:00 pm
  • Betsy Olney
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (718) 842-8617

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • Core knowledge
  • Internships
  • family-based character education model
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Social justice

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • College/career center
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Parent center
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Hunts Point Alliance for Children

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor