Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Effective at what? Yes the students learn, but they do not enjoy it.

This'll be a bit long. Firstly I have a four year old daughter who has never had any issue learning prior to this school. All of the comments are right about this school, they are extremely strict, with everything. In my opinion, they are overly strict. For example: Uniform is a must, which I expected, it is very strictly monitored. Child is not allowed to wear white or black sweaters, only navy blue. Child is not allowed to wear boots, unless raining or snowing, even then the child must change back into shoes upon arrival at school. I was a bit confused by that part at one time and my child was almost given detention because of it (mind you, she's 4). Anyone who does not abide by the uniform rules will receive detention. Expectations for students are ridiculously high. I myself, am an aspiring educator. I understand the importance of education, but this...this school takes things to a different level. My 4 year old came home each day with 5 pages of homework+30mins of reading. There were no hw breaks during vacation and their was not much fun or breaks in the school for kids. The very first week of school there was a spelling test, which my daughter failed. Her Art/Music/gym was taken away because she was not testing up to their standards. Instead of creative activities she received help during those times. Imagine a four year old going to school from 8:00 to 16:30 with no break. I've also noticed that the teachers are not as kind as they pretend to be. I am a "pop-up randomly at school" type of parent. I like to observe teacher and student interactions without their knowledge (the office of course knew because everyone has to sign in).On several occassions I've seen students screamed/yelled at for meager incidents. Some of the teachers do not have the patience for the students but sadly they still have a job. My daughter once came home and said her teacher yelled at the entire class and was upset because someone farted during quiet time. My daughter has developed a habit of crying and shutting down when she gets answers wrong after attending this school. They have claimed that maybe this is something she developed at home but that is unlikely. She has never done that before. I believe the strict nature of this school does teach children to learn but does not encorage them to like it. If learning is your only concern, sending your child here is ok.

Amount of homework: Disagree

This school assigns so much homework and does not make it engaging for the students at all. My now five year old hates doing homework but loved it when she was at her other school.

The academics are wonderful but the kids need recess, bottom line. My son has an IEP and his therapies and held at the same time as "specials", which is Art, Gym or Music. So, he misses those important classes. I hate that and I'm looking to change his school

My son has been in this school since kindergarten and now is on 7th grade. I know for a fact that this school is very strict and its not for everyone. some parents might feel that it is to much for their children, in my opinion if you start early with a strict program the children will adjust and get used to that regiment. remember we have to re-enforce in our homes this strictness so we are in the same page. over all I like this school because I feel that my son is going the right way.

Amount of homework: Agree

Given what the school is trying to accomplish, the amount of homework, while at times excessive, is probably necessary. Parents can help like they did back in the day. It's a great way to spend quality time and keep abreast of what is being taught.

Quite naturally the school's emphasis is on quality education and I believe that they achieve this as evidenced by the consistently high scores in state exams. Some parents have issues with the school's emphasis on test scores, but that is the way things work in the NYC school system. A school that does not score well does not get the necessary funding and may find its doors closed. The school may be a bit strict in terms of the amount of homework, especially for younger children, but considering the high degree of competition they will experience in college, and in life in general, an early start is not such a bad thing. I am particularly impressed with the school's attempt to build good character in the students. Today's youth is sorely lacking in basic respect, honesty and responsibility...traits that should be learned in the home but apparently are not. I have found the office staff approachable and respectful. While some parents think that the staff yells at the students I have found it to be more that they speak to them sternly, especially when the child has repeatedly done something wrong, or not in keeping with the school's character pillars. The one negit ative I find with the school's curriculum is the lack of recess for the younger students. They need a way to unwind a bit during the day given how strict the school is.

My daughters have been in the school since K. Yes they are strict but i find that the school is preparing them for the future. I believe that we have to be realistic in regards to the fact that work enviorment is not the same as to when we were growing up. South Bronx Classical is training them on how to responsible and hard working individuals, with that being said I do agree with one small matter they should allow the students to dress down once in a while.

For the parent whose child just got accepted, be prepared of the most rigorious academics. This school is extremely strict when it comes to the academic part. I am greatful for them though. My son was diagnosed with autism and the teachers here go above and beyond for him. I do wish they would lessen some of their ways. For example, uniforms are always mandatory. There is no dress down days and they have gym in their uniforms. (which for a parent that has to purchase their clothes drives me crazy.) They start school at least 3 weeks prior to everyone else. During some of the vacations there are mandatory tutorial sessions. And even during these sessions, the children are required to wear full uniforms. I do wish they would give a dress down day at least once a month. But overall, the school in its self is great. I love the attention that is given to my son and all the caring teachers.

My daughter just got accepted to this school any suggestions on what too expect... My daughter has been in a private parochial setting and She just got accepted fr kindergarten any suggestion

Last modified South Bronx Classical Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.