Posted April 11, 2014
My daughters have been in the school since K. Yes they are strict but i find that the school is preparing them for the future. I believe that we have to be realistic in regards to the fact that work enviorment is not the same as to when we were growing up. South Bronx Classical is training them on how to responsible and hard working individuals, with that being said I do agree with one small matter they should allow the students to dress down once in a while.

South Bronx Classical Charter School 3

Posted April 18, 2013
For the parent whose child just got accepted, be prepared of the most rigorious academics. This school is extremely strict when it comes to the academic part. I am greatful for them though. My son was diagnosed with autism and the teachers here go above and beyond for him. I do wish they would lessen some of their ways. For example, uniforms are always mandatory. There is no dress down days and they have gym in their uniforms. (which for a parent that has to purchase their clothes drives me crazy.) They start school at least 3 weeks prior to everyone else. During some of the vacations there are mandatory tutorial sessions. And even during these sessions, the children are required to wear full uniforms. I do wish they would give a dress down day at least once a month. But overall, the school in its self is great. I love the attention that is given to my son and all the caring teachers.

Posted April 11, 2013
My daughter just got accepted to this school any suggestions on what too expect... My daughter has been in a private parochial setting and She just got accepted fr kindergarten any suggestion

South Bronx Classical Charter School 1

Posted January 30, 2013
The teachers in this school are wonderful! My child has learned so much. It is amazing how much such a young child absorbs when given the right environment and the right teachers. The only good thing about SBCCS is the academics. SBCCS does not understand what is appropriate for children the age that they are. The kids get no recess or play time. The administrators are horrible. The Dean of Students tries her best but too much is on her plate to really focus on what she should. The others are useless. They don't know how to talk to parents, they can't identify with the students and all they care about are raising test scores not making good citizens like they say. Their office staff is great most of the time. My child loves the staff in the office. I'm leaving my child in SBCCS to not pull them out in the middle of the year but plan to discharge at the end of the year. My child is not a robot. All kids are not the same. SBCCS can't differentiate instruction. They cant be caring. All they care about is their name. One more thing, not one teacher from when my child has started is still there. Every year they get a group of new people. Why do people keep leaving? Think about that!

Posted January 17, 2013
Hi, I'm a parent interested in sending my child to this school. I have read some negative reviews about the administration and it's concerning. Can anyone elaborate on why they think that they need to be investigated? Any names in particular? Has it been brought to the school's attention? And have things changed since these 2010 reviews? Thank you

South Bronx Classical Charter School 3

Posted August 20, 2012
My daughter has been a scholar at SBCCS since the 1st grade but her mom and I have decided to look into other schools. Although she's among the best readers in her grade, has had a few great teachers and a few good friends, the admin is indeed way too strict and the schools' policies are a bit too vigorous for elementary. I understand they want their students to develop good study/work habits and all but they BOMBARD their students with homework. Doesn't help that their first day of class is August 15th and they dismiss at 4:30pm either. In January, tutoring is "mandatory" and so they dismiss at 6pm. All in all, it's come to the point where my daughter doesn't enjoy learning as much anymore and school/homework is just another chore. Learning is a drag and as it takes away from her time with us and other activities. Their workload/schedule tells me they don't take into consideration how valuable personal family-time is. The admin has good intentions but they seem to be too invested in having their students score high on exams and don't focus enough on having children become enthusiastic learners and allow them to flourish in their household as well. I have a child, not a robot.

South Bronx Classical Charter School 4

Posted September 16, 2010
I agree that the admin is way too strict on the children but yes the teachers are good so far.I would like to see the admin investigated because I dont like the way I see some of them talking to the students when the parents arent around,I have noticed them yelling at the kids also.But yes my children have learned alot and its only been 3-4 weeks.

Posted April 30, 2010
The teachers are great, but the administration is way too strict, They have a military type attitude and are often disrespectful to parents. They need to be investigated by the state

Posted April 27, 2010
The teachers push your children to learn in a professional manner. And they do not accept any kind of misbehavior. I love this school.

Posted August 31, 2009
My son has learned so much in this school im very proud of him go johnathan miller....Thanks to the school......

South Bronx Classical Charter School
977 Fox St, Bronx, NY  10459
Last modified South Bronx Classical Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Bronx Classical Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top