Public charter
Bronx, NY

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 27, 2015
Given what the school is trying to accomplish, the amount of homework, while at times excessive, is probably necessary. Parents can help like they did back in the day. It's a great way to spend quality time and keep abreast of what is being taught.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted May 27, 2015
I am not so sure about these traits. The school is not for everyone, and not all students and parents are willing to push as hard as they may need to.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted May 27, 2015
Again, the school can only do so much. Without reinforcement from parents, it may be for naught.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted May 27, 2015
As much as is possible. These are values that need to be reinforced at home and sadly, may not be.

South Bronx Classical Charter School 4

Posted May 27, 2015
Quite naturally the school's emphasis is on quality education and I believe that they achieve this as evidenced by the consistently high scores in state exams. Some parents have issues with the school's emphasis on test scores, but that is the way things work in the NYC school system. A school that does not score well does not get the necessary funding and may find its doors closed. The school may be a bit strict in terms of the amount of homework, especially for younger children, but considering the high degree of competition they will experience in college, and in life in general, an early start is not such a bad thing. I am particularly impressed with the school's attempt to build good character in the students. Today's youth is sorely lacking in basic respect, honesty and responsibility...traits that should be learned in the home but apparently are not. I have found the office staff approachable and respectful. While some parents think that the staff yells at the students I have found it to be more that they speak to them sternly, especially when the child has repeatedly done something wrong, or not in keeping with the school's character pillars. The one negit ative I find with the school's curriculum is the lack of recess for the younger students. They need a way to unwind a bit during the day given how strict the school is.

Posted April 11, 2014
My daughters have been in the school since K. Yes they are strict but i find that the school is preparing them for the future. I believe that we have to be realistic in regards to the fact that work enviorment is not the same as to when we were growing up. South Bronx Classical is training them on how to responsible and hard working individuals, with that being said I do agree with one small matter they should allow the students to dress down once in a while.

South Bronx Classical Charter School 3

Posted April 18, 2013
For the parent whose child just got accepted, be prepared of the most rigorious academics. This school is extremely strict when it comes to the academic part. I am greatful for them though. My son was diagnosed with autism and the teachers here go above and beyond for him. I do wish they would lessen some of their ways. For example, uniforms are always mandatory. There is no dress down days and they have gym in their uniforms. (which for a parent that has to purchase their clothes drives me crazy.) They start school at least 3 weeks prior to everyone else. During some of the vacations there are mandatory tutorial sessions. And even during these sessions, the children are required to wear full uniforms. I do wish they would give a dress down day at least once a month. But overall, the school in its self is great. I love the attention that is given to my son and all the caring teachers.

Posted April 11, 2013
My daughter just got accepted to this school any suggestions on what too expect... My daughter has been in a private parochial setting and She just got accepted fr kindergarten any suggestion

South Bronx Classical Charter School 1

Posted January 30, 2013
The teachers in this school are wonderful! My child has learned so much. It is amazing how much such a young child absorbs when given the right environment and the right teachers. The only good thing about SBCCS is the academics. SBCCS does not understand what is appropriate for children the age that they are. The kids get no recess or play time. The administrators are horrible. The Dean of Students tries her best but too much is on her plate to really focus on what she should. The others are useless. They don't know how to talk to parents, they can't identify with the students and all they care about are raising test scores not making good citizens like they say. Their office staff is great most of the time. My child loves the staff in the office. I'm leaving my child in SBCCS to not pull them out in the middle of the year but plan to discharge at the end of the year. My child is not a robot. All kids are not the same. SBCCS can't differentiate instruction. They cant be caring. All they care about is their name. One more thing, not one teacher from when my child has started is still there. Every year they get a group of new people. Why do people keep leaving? Think about that!

Posted January 17, 2013
Hi, I'm a parent interested in sending my child to this school. I have read some negative reviews about the administration and it's concerning. Can anyone elaborate on why they think that they need to be investigated? Any names in particular? Has it been brought to the school's attention? And have things changed since these 2010 reviews? Thank you

977 Fox Street, Bronx, NY  10459
Last modified South Bronx Classical Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Bronx Classical Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top