Bronxville, NY

Posted December 02, 2014
Sarah Lawrence College's Early Childhood Center is a progressive, lab school community for preschool-aged children. It's child-centered and play-based. This is a short review. I wrote a much more extensive one on Yelp because I was limited in space on this site. My family loves this school. My child is excited every morning to go to because the environment nurtures and encourages his natural curiosity to learn. The staff at the ECC are true professionals. They have graduate degrees in early childhood education, many have been teaching for decades, and they all love a good geek-out on anything kid related. If you are looking for a place that does flashcard drills and gives 3 year olds homework, look elsewhere. This is a preschool where children are given the space and opportunity to be children and learn in developmentally appropriate ways, which research shows prepares them so well for later academic study. It is also a place where your child will develop their love and passion for learning. The community is very diverse-economically, socially, ethnically, and racially and my child is exposed to what the real world looks like.

Sarah Lawrence Early Childhood Center 2

Posted June 18, 2012
My husband and I wanted a play-based preschool for our son, so we signed him up. What we didn't realize is that this school is also child-led, and what that means for ECC is that there are no organized games, no songs, no crafts, and very few stories. Basically the children have free play, outside and inside, almost the entire time, sometimes with very little adult interaction or supervision. You could get a similar experience, for a lot less money and with more adult supervision, just getting together every day at a park with some other kids and parents.

Posted June 21, 2011
This is an amazing school. I went to the ECC for two years. I had so much fun. I met new friends and learned lots! I highly recommend it. I am in second grade now and I will always remember this school.

Posted May 20, 2008
I love the ECC. It is a warm, supportive environment for the parents and the kids. Lorayne, the director, is incredibly present and supportive for each family. Also, there's a progressive approach to early childhood learning that is so refreshing and hard to find in this area.

Sarah Lawrence Early Childhood Center 4

Posted December 16, 2007
Really great school setting. A house, a yard, an emphasis on play & the surrounding environment. It's a fun place for everyone, parents included! The director is exceptional. I highly recommend considering the reality though of not sending your child here for 1st grade (the last year SLC has). My child had a very difficult transition into 2nd grade. The emphasis on play is not appropriate for any child going into most other schools. If only SLC had an elementary school. Then, a Waldorf or Montessori school would be a wonderful match for the middle school years.

Posted December 13, 2007
A fantastic school! I feel the teachers really know what they're talking about. Each one is smarter than the next and they absolutely practice what they preach. Look into this school!

Sarah Lawrence Early Childhood Center
1 Mead Way, Bronxville, NY  10708
Last modified Sarah Lawrence Early Childhood Center is a Private school that serves grades PK-1
Sarah Lawrence Early Childhood Center Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top