Bad
Good

I used to be a student at this school and my memories of it are nothing but miserable. Everything from the teachers to the students contributed to my terrible time here. The student body was beyond toxic; because it's a small school it was often a cesspool of drama and hostility and I actually ended up having to drop out because of the way I was treated by my classmates. I've always been a fairly good student but it was very hard to uphold a high GPA here because we were given a grade on everything. The teachers tended to also be very inexperienced, and some of them made me anxious to be around because they were running the campus like prison guards. They also tended to refuse to listen to and mediate conflicts between students. Overall it's an awful, toxic place that, dare I say, nearly destroyed me. I don't think I would have been able to survive another year so I'm glad I got out while I could.

Creating leaders in this charter school, couldn't be more pleased with the teachers and staff. You can always count on the teachers for help in school and homework.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The students discuss the effects of their actions on the broader world and are encouraged to think beyond their own experience. They also provide ample opportunities to continue to improve - so incentives are positive rather than cut throat.

I have two daughters at BPCS - one entering her senior year and the other her freshman year. The leadership is incredibly impressive and the teaching terrific. The IB curriculum is intellectually rigorous and interesting. I appreciate the emphasis on the arts (including dance) and physical education. The students are given a great deal of support, but also challenged to reach their potential. The college counseling at the high school is also great. The demands on students are fairly high - so it may not be for everyone - but my observation is that the school is deeply committed to providing an excellent education for a diverse group of students.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Virtually all of the teachers at both the high school and middle school are highly knowledgeable, engaging, care about students, and use a variety of educational techniques to challenge the students. The high school teachers in the IB program are preparing the students exceedingly well for college - lots of writing and revision. They delve deeply into interesting and complex topics.

Awful place. The high school is woefully underpreparing students for life after BPCS whether they are going to college or not (and many are not.) Student morale is low despite some very impassioned teachers. They say their academic expectations are high but they really aren't except in the IB program. We are rethinking our decision to keep our child here through the hs. School underperforms compared to the nearby, mediocre public options.

Our family loves this school. Our daughter is in kindergarten Downtown Brooklyn and has blossomed this year. She went from a very shy, nervous girl to a social butterfly who always has hugs for her teachers -- who by the way are fantastic. In the first week, one of her teachers pointed out two truths I know about my daughter. They were just casual comments, but I knew that the teacher saw my daughter for who she is. The building needs some TLC and there could be better communication from the PTSO. That's the only reason I give 4 starts. But the quality of education and the atmosphere and the other parents are amazing.

I absolutely love it here. It is very easy to contact teachers whenever needed, and they give us our own school emails to that we can contact students/teachers for anything.We can respectfully advocate for ourselves and the teachers will take a serious look into it. (we once had a whole day to just talk and tell teachers what we appreciate, and what they could improve on as teachers, and vise versa) The lunch is AMAZING. I used to have to bring in lunch from home, but it's not needed anymore :D One thing that the school could improve on for sure is giving us a longer lunch and recess period, because we are often rushing to eat. Im not the biggest fan of the uniforms as well. Overall I think this is a great school and if you had heard about it i would definitely recommend considering it for your child :) - A student

I am a 10th grader at Brooklyn Prospect and I've been in this school since it opened back in 2009 when I was in 6th grade. When I first started being in the school, it was an okay school. I was pleased with this school from 6th to 8th grade but when I got to 9th, it just got annoying and stressful. I agree with the second review (that there is way too much homework and you get a grade for absolutely everything) and its crazy that if we don't do one assignment, our grade as a whole for that class drops tremendously. I also feel like most of the teachers don't care about your grades and don't try to help. There are times when we have to do projects for every class like every week and I think that's too stress ful. I also feel like most of the students feel this way. And I think that this school is taking the whole IB thing a bit too serious especially with the personal project. Overall, I give this school 2 out of 5 stars.

We are now finishing the first marking period and I took a look at the parent portal to see how my child is doing. It looks like the students are given a grade on absolutely everything they touch and do. In one class for the first six weeks, my child received 31 grades starting on the very first day of school. This was for 19 classroom days in that course. While having up-to-date information is good, I do not know how one teaches if the kids are not allowed to make a mistake. If an assignment is late (and late is not handed in that day), they can only make up two for 50% credit a semester and otherwise get a 0% and a whole is created. There were also a lot of mistakes in the grading score. For some kids this might be good, but I would not want to teach this way. It has gotten worse from last year as well as testing and statistics seem to be prized. Think about it before assuming this is the first choice for District 15 students.

Last modified Brooklyn Prospect Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-1, 6-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.