K, 6-10
Public charter
Brooklyn, NY

Brooklyn Prospect Charter School 4

Posted March 24, 2014
I absolutely love it here. It is very easy to contact teachers whenever needed, and they give us our own school emails to that we can contact students/teachers for anything.We can respectfully advocate for ourselves and the teachers will take a serious look into it. (we once had a whole day to just talk and tell teachers what we appreciate, and what they could improve on as teachers, and vise versa) The lunch is AMAZING. I used to have to bring in lunch from home, but it's not needed anymore :D One thing that the school could improve on for sure is giving us a longer lunch and recess period, because we are often rushing to eat. Im not the biggest fan of the uniforms as well. Overall I think this is a great school and if you had heard about it i would definitely recommend considering it for your child :) - A student

Brooklyn Prospect Charter School 2

Posted March 09, 2014
I am a 10th grader at Brooklyn Prospect and I've been in this school since it opened back in 2009 when I was in 6th grade. When I first started being in the school, it was an okay school. I was pleased with this school from 6th to 8th grade but when I got to 9th, it just got annoying and stressful. I agree with the second review (that there is way too much homework and you get a grade for absolutely everything) and its crazy that if we don't do one assignment, our grade as a whole for that class drops tremendously. I also feel like most of the teachers don't care about your grades and don't try to help. There are times when we have to do projects for every class like every week and I think that's too stress ful. I also feel like most of the students feel this way. And I think that this school is taking the whole IB thing a bit too serious especially with the personal project. Overall, I give this school 2 out of 5 stars.

Brooklyn Prospect Charter School 1

Posted October 17, 2013
We are now finishing the first marking period and I took a look at the parent portal to see how my child is doing. It looks like the students are given a grade on absolutely everything they touch and do. In one class for the first six weeks, my child received 31 grades starting on the very first day of school. This was for 19 classroom days in that course. While having up-to-date information is good, I do not know how one teaches if the kids are not allowed to make a mistake. If an assignment is late (and late is not handed in that day), they can only make up two for 50% credit a semester and otherwise get a 0% and a whole is created. There were also a lot of mistakes in the grading score. For some kids this might be good, but I would not want to teach this way. It has gotten worse from last year as well as testing and statistics seem to be prized. Think about it before assuming this is the first choice for District 15 students.

Posted August 23, 2013
The school has very motivated and talented teachers, but they are young and need time to mature. The administration needs to focus more on teacher development but seems more focused on expansion and building its brand. Given the right leadership, the teachers at this school can be among the best in the City but they need more time. Some are very responsive to parents but others are difficult to get focused on student challenges. Also, the MS principal can be unresponsive if approached with problems and seems too focused on the state test scores as a measure of success. This hurts students with IEPs or are struggling in one area or another when intervention is needed. I question whether the school needs to better understand IEPs and how to handle students with learning difficulties and disabilities. The school seems all too focused on messaging and spin at times which when over the top really hurts the cause. In the end, there are some really positive aspects to Brooklyn Prospect but some very negative areas that they need to focus on.

Posted August 22, 2013
My son goes to BPCS (8th grade). We have been generally happy with the school. It is professionally run, the students are well educated, they handle social difficulties responsibly (e.g., bullying, conduct issues). The main areas of difficulty have been: 1. the school is sometimes overly strict in certain grading policies and teachers have made significant errors in keeping track of student absences or whether assignments were handed in. You really have to double check. 2. Since BPCS has its own High School and hopes the students will attend, they are less helpful than most schools where it comes to preparing for the admissions process for other local High Schools. Basically, they will give you the paperwork you need but not offer guidance. That's a disappointment if your child is not 100% certain that he or she wants to continue at BPCS for High School.

Posted May 29, 2013
My older daughter is in 8th grade and will stay for high school and my younger daughter will enter 6th grade in the fall. I have been extraordinarily impressed by the teachers, administration, and staff of the school. The teachers are either extremely experienced or are young and energetic - and paired with a senior teacher. The breadth of the curriculum and the focus on global citizenship are well designed to prepare our students for the future. The terrific math and science as well as the inspiring humanities, arts, and literature provide an excellent balance. We are also happy to be part of a community that values diversity of all types. Every school has room to improve - at Brooklyn Prospect, every adult in the building is thinking about improvement.

Posted April 24, 2013
This is the first school I've worked at where I would also want to send my own child. Teachers here work around the clock on behalf of the students. Although the students may not know it, many teachers (even the best!) tape our classes as a way to continuously grow as professionals, to develop our craft of teaching. Our curriculum includes many in-depth projects, ranging from building wind turbines and holding a Renaissance Fair in sixth grade, to computer programming and Earth Science inquiry projects in 9th grade. We also work hard to teach students the skills needed for success in future classes and on high-stakes exams. The school provides a lot of structure for students, with clear and consistent policies and practices from classroom to classroom, but also gives the students freedom and choice appropriate to their age & development. Middle school students wear uniforms, for example, while high school students have only a dress code.

Posted April 04, 2013
I am a 9th grader at this school currently and I feel that the curriculum is too much fluff and doesn't get to the basics as someone else said below. I feel that the teachers and staff are all so new at this and they are learning as we are learning. For example the teachers video tape during class, (which makes uncomfortable ) to help the, see what they are doing wrong. Bottom line, they have a lot of room for improvement and that's not beneficial to us students and sometimes effects our grades

Posted December 17, 2012
The quality of teaching at Brooklyn Prospect is fabulous. My 6th grader and 9th grader are challenged and encouraged; differentiated instruction really happens here. The International Baccalaureate curriculum is regarded around the world as rigorous and balanced, with an emphasis on 21st century skills and community service. Brooklyn Prospect is definitely college-prep. The school values student diversity and it benefits from innovative leadership, outstanding Middle School and High School Principals, and active parent involvement. It is growing by a grade each year to a full Gr 6-12 school (serving Grades 6-9 in 2012-2013). Permanent location in Windsor Terrace at 3002 Fort Hamilton Parkway as of Sept 2012, following a $1.6 million renovation. Admission is by lottery with more than 1,000 students applying for 100 spots. Word is out on this amazing school (www.brooklynprospect.org).

Posted December 05, 2012
I taught here for a brief period and could not wait to submit my resignation! The leadership team is weak and ineffective. It is clear that there is a complete breakdown in communication between parents, teachers, and administrators. There is far too much fluff in the curriculum instead of basic skills.

Brooklyn Prospect Charter School
3002 Fort Hamilton Parkway, Brooklyn, NY  11218
Last modified Brooklyn Prospect Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K, 6-10. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brooklyn Prospect Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top