Public charter
Brooklyn, NY

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I would rate my experience at the school very highly. Every time I visit I come away quite impressed with the progress the school is making.
May 30, 2015

Bushwick Ascend Charter School 1

Posted June 11, 2015
Wow! Totally convinced someone on the administration team is the person behind these June comments. Unless it's a teacher that came into the school with the Director (GHOST) Ms. Washington. Find me 10 teachers that like their job as a teacher at BW and I will personally shake their hands. Now don't get me wrong the teachers at BW love what they do, they love the kids which I'm almost sure that's the reason why most of them are still there. They just hate the people they have to report to. The comments below just show how low they will go to get new scholars to enroll. Shame on you! Parents do yourself a favor DUE YOUR RESEARCH! Your child deserves to enjoy their school. Be their judge. They don't know any better.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 06, 2015
The teachers are very effective at Bushwick Ascend. I have seen so many scholars have lunch with their teacher in the classroom,and help their teachers. I also see a lot of thumbs up from teachers to scholars. If the teachers didn't effect their lives in positive way, I'm sure what was stated above would not happen.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 06, 2015
The homework fits what the scholars are taught in class. This allows the scholars to remember what was taught to them.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 06, 2015
I strongly agree that Bushwick Ascend develops respect in its scholars. For starters, the teachers respect the scholars ideas and feelings. In return, the scholars give it in return. Also, through the "Community Meetings" that are held in the classroom, the scholars learn respect for themselves and others, talk about their feelings, how to problem solve. These factors help the scholars at Bushwick Ascend be a well rounded person.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 06, 2015
The strength os this school relays on the communication among staff, scholars and parents. Though the hours are long, love and care are shown to the scholars through various rewards.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 06, 2015
-Teacher. I recently started woking at this school. I have to say that the reason why I chose this school was because their goals are to educate, equip and get the scholars not only to college but to graduate from college. This is encouraged from Ms. Washington down to the teachers. The scholars are greeted at the door as they enter into the school; greeted as they walk down the stairs into the cafeteria. Ms. Washington comes to continue college bound thoughts to the scholars by way of songs (she has a beautiful voice) and the Bushwick Creed. This creed reminds them that they are somebody, and to have great expectations for themselves. They are encouraged to do their best, their very, very best. I'm glad to be a part of a team that's not just saying that the kids are our future but this team is proving it with action.

Posted June 01, 2015
-parent. I have been a part of the school community for three years. I can honestly say that students love going to school. The staff are very hands on. The Leaders are visible and approachable and they are on a mission to prepare the kids for college! I have also seen the the School Director in action, she seems energetic as she empower the students to excel and do their best. I highly recommend any parent to consider this school if they are looking to have their child as become a success and achieve their highest potential.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted May 31, 2015
Scholars know the core values and we are constantly reminding scholars of ways to display great character.

Posted May 31, 2015
This is my third year teaching at Bushwick. Last year the school's student and adult culture was horrible. Students were unhappy and unsafe and staff morale was extremely low. This school year we've lost a few staff members however the student culture has gone up significantly. Students are happy, families are happy and I'm happy. I have the support from administration and trust that the school culture will continue to thrive!

751 Knickerbocker Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11221
Last modified Bushwick Ascend Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bushwick Ascend Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top