Brooklyn Dreams Charter School

Charter | K-2 | 245 students

Living in Brooklyn

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $435,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,340.

Posted June 9, 2014

Where do I begin? Now that my son has been accepted to another school and all the arrangements have been made I feel like I can finally speak up. I admit that it was cowardly not to do so before, but I had to think about the back lash for my child. My son has attended this school since its inception. Because it was the first year, there were many hiccups along the way. I didn't think that the first dean was great with children. She always seemed so cold. But even then I could appreciate her efficiency. The original principal, Mrs. Wilds was so warm and loving toward the students and families that at times I could understand why they needed the balance of the strong-handed dean. My son's second year was better and it seemed that we were well on our way to all that NHA promised. Then in 2012, there was a change and I thought: give it a chance, without change, there is no evolution. After almost 2 years of this principal, I feel like my child attends one of those failing traditional public schools where there is no accountability for what students should be learning, and more and more I see things changing over to the way it was in the traditional schools. It is criminal.

Posted May 27, 2014

My daughter has been attending this school since last year, and I have no issues. Students are assigned alot of homework and given tons of projects, but we welcome them! I believe hard work pays off. We have constant communication with my daughter's teacher (whether there is an issue, or just plain commendation) and it works perfectly for us! The Administrative staff is excellent. I've never had any issues with them providing information or assistance. I've never had any interaction with the Dean and minimal with the Principal and that was just via 'small-talk". Honeslty, this school works great for my daughter that graduated from a great Pre-K program and I embrace the hard work. Hopefully nothing changes, but as another parent said - no where is perfect.we as parents need to be able to adapt to circumstances and be more involved (as our personal lives permit). We're not able to attend all school trips, but we maintain a very good rapport with the teacher and school staff. My daughter says she loves her school (even on the days when her behavior is less than perfect).

Posted May 24, 2014

My son is currently a student at this school. Brooklyn dream is not for every child or every parent. It does require putting in a lot of work. Brooklyn Dream challenges your child. Expect that if you send your child here you will have to put in a lot of work so that you child does will at the school. The does provide extra programs to help you child do well, such as reading and math programs during the school year and the summer. Yes, your child will have a lot of homework but you and your child will get use to it. The goal of the school is to have you child become a well rounded person. There is moral focus. Where the kids focus on ideas like gratitude. They go on a lot of trips and have danecs. Every school has its issues. I'm not saying this school is perfect. I'm saying you get from this school what you put in. The teachers I have come across a pretty good. I work full time and can not make it to the school as often as some parent so I communicate a lot by email and notes and I have always received a quick response.

Posted January 13, 2014

when i think about this school I think about the dream us parents have for our kids. it started like a dream had some up and downs but was successful. then new staffing came about and less parents want to get involved. it went out the door with the staff. when the principal Mrs Yvette Wilde left most of the kids during our family fun fair expressed how sad they would be and even begged her not too as well as parents. i notice that the teachers have left one by one some old some new . while trying to deal with a new principal i notice that in some classes it never has a consistent teacher i recall one year my child had 3 teachers and at one point had just substitutes and then they say the children don't meet their requirements. how could they when the school is not meeting theirs to give adequate education. the principal schedules meetings and often either late for it or don't tell her staff about schedule meetings which feel like a waste of parent time. I wish the old principal could return she cared more for her students or what she called her children. which let all of us parents to believe she want the best for them as well as we do .

Posted December 21, 2013

As a teacher at Brooklyn Dreams, I am constantly being bombarded with due dates and expectations. I am being pressured to raise my 23 kids not on grade level to college proficiency yet I am not given the resources to do so. I receive unfriendly and cold emails when there happens to be one day where I just can't make a deadline because I have 10 other things also required of me to do. I get graded on bulletin boards My students and I put hours, even days, of work into, only to be told to do it all over again because it isn't pretty enough. I voice my opinion or explain my stress to my deans and they tell me that "they have been through it and had even more challenges they had to face". I just don't get it. Why is teaching supposed to be this hard? I want a job that I am happy to walk into. I don't want to feel intimidated by the people who are suppose to be helping me improve at my skill. If I could offer any advice, it would be to stay away from this school. It has sucked so much life out of the teachers, some of the ones that have been there the longest don't even see it. I

Posted December 2, 2013

I am a parent who lives and works close to the school and I am very concerned about how the teachers/staff speak to the children. In the yard for example they often yell and scream orders, punishments, and threats of no play for any child who is moving or talking after the whistle........I saw a teacher yell directly in a child's face once. I have also seen the staff embarrass the children by punishing them with 'no play' etc.. If I had a child at this school I would certainly make it my business to pass by during yard time. It is so bad at times that I have called the school to complain and my children don't even go there........the children's parents are at work and I would want someone to stand up for my children.

Posted August 15, 2013

My child has been attending since the school opening and I must say I am impressed with the expectations the new administration has for students. Those of you complaining,must not understand what it takes to graduate from college. With the recent state test results, it proves that the standards set were too low to compete in a collegiate setting and I think the new expectations are helping to prepare students to attend college on scholarships.

Posted August 14, 2013

I would advise against any parent to send their child to this school. My child had four teachers within a years span and their curriculum did not include science and social studies. When I spoke with the principal about the issue she seemed very flippant about the whole situation. She said the kids were very far behind in reading and math that the teachers had no choice? I removed my child from the school because I dread what will come of the middle school where there is a teacher for each subject when they clearly cannot keep ONE fifth grade teacher established. MY son also had a 504 plan that was DISREGARDED the entire school year even after I got in touch with a parent liason at National Heritage. With everything said, I'm sure the staff is well aware of who I am, one of the secretaries was "nice" enough to be rude and nasty to my child after I got outside employees involved with the issues I had with the school. No education, lots of drama. Better off sending your child to a public school. Good luck.

Posted August 6, 2013

No established PTA. The principal will welcome the start. But, it is a hurdle. Toxic staff views overly involved parents as a nuisance. Eager parent volunteers, be careful! Your effort may be misinterpreted. For a stress-free year, focus on your child's education.

Posted August 4, 2013

Wow. Well I am glad I did my research before interviewing with this school. I have already worked at one school with a horrible administration- that's enough! It's a shame because until that situation is fixed, you aren't going to hire or keep quality teachers very easily.

Posted August 1, 2013

I have had a wonderful experience at Broolyn Dreams charter School. My son currently goes there and is receiving a great education. I have very high expectatinos of my son so too much homework is not in my vocabulary...sorry folks but we have to expect better. AS for the teachers, My son is not a saint.. but I had communication with his teacher and I think EVRY parent has to advocate for their child, don't leave it up to tthe school... make you presence know weather your child is doing well or not you will be the attention you need. Administration: I can honestly say I am only used to this one and I have had no problems speaking with the Prinicple or Dean. As for the PTA folks complain of... you are a parent I am sure Administration would have no problem with you starting one....Oh that is right.... you are waiting for someone else to do it...smh My only concern would be the projects... some need more time to complete them. They are pretty involved and they take time. A well rounded student would not be home the whole break just doing the project they will be out and about.

Posted May 25, 2013

Everyone is exactly right in what they are saying, the problem with this school is the administration. There is a huge inconsistency in the expectations from one student to another. There are kids in this school who have SEVERE behavior issues and should have been kicked out a long time ago but no actions/consequences are taken. This results in other students thinking they can act that way and not get in trouble. CONSEQUENCES NEED TO BE CONSISTENT! Learning becomes extremely difficult for the students who are around these troubled students. Principal seems to let her feelings of sympathy make decisions which put all other students in a bad situation. Besides that there is a clear favoritism among teachers... no professional development for new teachers who are just thrown in there to handle it all on their own

Posted May 17, 2013

I am very satisfied, I know homework is a lot ,but trust me is better now than have kids that are not prepare for collage. We just don't like rules. parent

Posted March 3, 2013

I am so disappointed in these review seems like these review were all written by disgruntled employee. too messy for my taste

Posted February 16, 2013

The teachers are very caring. They maintain a high level of standards and expectations. Even the office staff and other school personnel are involved in the lives of the children on a personal level. I am thoroughly pleased with the level of education. The best part is experiencing peace of mind knowing my child is in a safe and nurturing environment.

Posted February 7, 2013

My child attended this school since it's opening in 2010. The experience was great up until now. The new deans, principal and administration staff are nothing compared to last year. Why all the changes? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I won't go into details of what I've experienced with this school, but Dear Yvette Wilds (former principal) and Me. Burgos (former dean) leaving Brooklyn Dreams was a huge mistake. May I ask; who does the hiring here? It looks like they are hiring people they're friends with instead of hiring qualified people. My child's 5th grade glass is already on their THIRD teacher for the year! She's a substitute and I was informed that they're searching for a fourth teacher! This is clearly unfair to the students switching teachers every couple of months.

Posted December 9, 2012

Till last year this school was good, but with new management this year very bad and very disappointed . Too much home work for parents

Posted December 7, 2012

The current principal should go back to her law practice, She does not have a clue as to how to run a school.

Posted December 7, 2012

The principal is a belle. Ding-a-ling! She needs to work on her management and leadership skills. Perhaps she should go back to her law practice and is not well-suited for a career in education.

Posted December 5, 2012

Although the classrooms and school building are beautiful, there are some significant problems with this school. One of the main problems is in the area of leadership. The principal is new and aparently needs some time to develop in her placement in order to be effective. She does not have the ability to communicate with teachers and parents and should work on that important skill!

Black 1 69% 19%

Master's degree and above 0%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

259 Parkville Ave