Public charter
Brooklyn, NY

Brooklyn Dreams Charter School 3

Posted April 29, 2015
My first impression of BDCS was that it was a great school and atmosphere. As time passes, I've begun to question my daughter's growth! The administrative staff at this school (i find) is excellent. The issues I have is with the communication between the parents and the school - things are not communicated timely; the color coding system needs to be reviewed because if constantly moving the child's behavior worm for simple infractions (just being a child) it will (and has in some cases) become ineffective; kids should be evaluated consistently and growth reported to parents in a timely manner so that steps can be taken if the growth is below the standard expected by the school; kids should not be given a computerized test to determine their growth etc if they are not using computers daily to complete their classroom work! There should be consistency; last but not least, if teachers do not have the patience for younger kids, they should seek another profession. As parents, we all want the best for our child/childrenren and if we had the ways and means, we would be with our child/children , 24 hours each day. It is about working together to achieve success.

Posted April 04, 2015
You are so right when parents complain they call the police on you. The deans are the worse, one is full of herself, the other one has no respect for parents her tone of voice is defiant. This school might close in 3 years if they don't fire Administration, maybe the Board needs to be fired!

Posted March 30, 2015
Our decision to take our son out of this school in the middle of the school year is the best decision we could make right now. I won't allow him to spend another day in a school with an administration that's more concerned with there authority then they are with my son's academics or progression. Although he has been in this school from the day it opened, I have to make this change. The original principal an amazing person. When she left, the original staff started leaving one by one. This new administration, especially the dean (Yisrael), are unbelievably incompetent ,unprofessional and unconcerned. It's sad that my son won't be apart of the first graduating class of this school but I would never be able to trust this staff with my child's education and achievement. ..

Posted March 22, 2015
I am just sad that parents have not done their homework , and they have no clue that this school does not meet educational standards. If you don't believe it just visit DOE website.

Posted February 23, 2015
I expect an educational institutional to be more serious. They are all about putting their plans on paper and giving parents teacher meeting but are not doing anything. I don t understand why 1 child has to take over 10 ream of copying paper and 10 dozen pf pencils in a school years and an endless list of other school supplies. The kids should not feel responsible for their school supplies and therefore the teachers should not insult them if their parents can t afford to send the supplies, my daughter is always asking me to buy extra school supplies for her class mate so they don t get yell at. This school has more trips and birthday parties than any other school I know. They need to focus on getting the kids to learn their school work and maybe on their manners. The dismal process is not working, they claim that the school is a safe one but yet anyone can walk in and pick up your kids. I don t understand why my child s teacher has to take her boyfriend to her class trip. I don t know him and therefore can t trust him with my child. The list goes on and on and on. I am pulling out my kids after this year is over. 4 more moths to go.

Posted November 26, 2014
I am grateful that my children no longer attend this school. they miss their friends Ms Hubbard Mrs burke Mrs / Ms Vagnone the iep teachers and that is it . the dean is dreadful and has a ego issue. that now my children are in a new school they have a better attitude towards school and they are looking forward to it. I am so happy that my children are happy now. wish the children their a great holiday and hope the best for them.

Posted June 09, 2014
Where do I begin? Now that my son has been accepted to another school and all the arrangements have been made I feel like I can finally speak up. I admit that it was cowardly not to do so before, but I had to think about the back lash for my child. My son has attended this school since its inception. Because it was the first year, there were many hiccups along the way. I didn't think that the first dean was great with children. She always seemed so cold. But even then I could appreciate her efficiency. The original principal, Mrs. Wilds was so warm and loving toward the students and families that at times I could understand why they needed the balance of the strong-handed dean. My son's second year was better and it seemed that we were well on our way to all that NHA promised. Then in 2012, there was a change and I thought: give it a chance, without change, there is no evolution. After almost 2 years of this principal, I feel like my child attends one of those failing traditional public schools where there is no accountability for what students should be learning, and more and more I see things changing over to the way it was in the traditional schools. It is criminal.

Brooklyn Dreams Charter School 4

Posted May 24, 2014
My son is currently a student at this school. Brooklyn dream is not for every child or every parent. It does require putting in a lot of work. Brooklyn Dream challenges your child. Expect that if you send your child here you will have to put in a lot of work so that you child does will at the school. The does provide extra programs to help you child do well, such as reading and math programs during the school year and the summer. Yes, your child will have a lot of homework but you and your child will get use to it. The goal of the school is to have you child become a well rounded person. There is moral focus. Where the kids focus on ideas like gratitude. They go on a lot of trips and have danecs. Every school has its issues. I'm not saying this school is perfect. I'm saying you get from this school what you put in. The teachers I have come across a pretty good. I work full time and can not make it to the school as often as some parent so I communicate a lot by email and notes and I have always received a quick response.

Posted December 21, 2013
As a teacher at Brooklyn Dreams, I am constantly being bombarded with due dates and expectations. I am being pressured to raise my 23 kids not on grade level to college proficiency yet I am not given the resources to do so. I receive unfriendly and cold emails when there happens to be one day where I just can't make a deadline because I have 10 other things also required of me to do. I get graded on bulletin boards My students and I put hours, even days, of work into, only to be told to do it all over again because it isn't pretty enough. I voice my opinion or explain my stress to my deans and they tell me that "they have been through it and had even more challenges they had to face". I just don't get it. Why is teaching supposed to be this hard? I want a job that I am happy to walk into. I don't want to feel intimidated by the people who are suppose to be helping me improve at my skill. If I could offer any advice, it would be to stay away from this school. It has sucked so much life out of the teachers, some of the ones that have been there the longest don't even see it. I

Posted December 02, 2013
I am a parent who lives and works close to the school and I am very concerned about how the teachers/staff speak to the children. In the yard for example they often yell and scream orders, punishments, and threats of no play for any child who is moving or talking after the whistle........I saw a teacher yell directly in a child's face once. I have also seen the staff embarrass the children by punishing them with 'no play' etc.. If I had a child at this school I would certainly make it my business to pass by during yard time. It is so bad at times that I have called the school to complain and my children don't even go there........the children's parents are at work and I would want someone to stand up for my children.

Brooklyn Dreams Charter School
259 Parkville Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11230
Last modified Brooklyn Dreams Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brooklyn Dreams Charter School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top