Public charter
Brooklyn, NY

Posted November 26, 2014
I am grateful that my children no longer attend this school. they miss their friends Ms Hubbard Mrs burke Mrs / Ms Vagnone the iep teachers and that is it . the dean is dreadful and has a ego issue. that now my children are in a new school they have a better attitude towards school and they are looking forward to it. I am so happy that my children are happy now. wish the children their a great holiday and hope the best for them.

Posted June 09, 2014
Where do I begin? Now that my son has been accepted to another school and all the arrangements have been made I feel like I can finally speak up. I admit that it was cowardly not to do so before, but I had to think about the back lash for my child. My son has attended this school since its inception. Because it was the first year, there were many hiccups along the way. I didn't think that the first dean was great with children. She always seemed so cold. But even then I could appreciate her efficiency. The original principal, Mrs. Wilds was so warm and loving toward the students and families that at times I could understand why they needed the balance of the strong-handed dean. My son's second year was better and it seemed that we were well on our way to all that NHA promised. Then in 2012, there was a change and I thought: give it a chance, without change, there is no evolution. After almost 2 years of this principal, I feel like my child attends one of those failing traditional public schools where there is no accountability for what students should be learning, and more and more I see things changing over to the way it was in the traditional schools. It is criminal.

Posted May 27, 2014
My daughter has been attending this school since last year, and I have no issues. Students are assigned alot of homework and given tons of projects, but we welcome them! I believe hard work pays off. We have constant communication with my daughter's teacher (whether there is an issue, or just plain commendation) and it works perfectly for us! The Administrative staff is excellent. I've never had any issues with them providing information or assistance. I've never had any interaction with the Dean and minimal with the Principal and that was just via 'small-talk". Honeslty, this school works great for my daughter that graduated from a great Pre-K program and I embrace the hard work. Hopefully nothing changes, but as another parent said - no where is perfect.we as parents need to be able to adapt to circumstances and be more involved (as our personal lives permit). We're not able to attend all school trips, but we maintain a very good rapport with the teacher and school staff. My daughter says she loves her school (even on the days when her behavior is less than perfect).

Brooklyn Dreams Charter School 4

Posted May 24, 2014
My son is currently a student at this school. Brooklyn dream is not for every child or every parent. It does require putting in a lot of work. Brooklyn Dream challenges your child. Expect that if you send your child here you will have to put in a lot of work so that you child does will at the school. The does provide extra programs to help you child do well, such as reading and math programs during the school year and the summer. Yes, your child will have a lot of homework but you and your child will get use to it. The goal of the school is to have you child become a well rounded person. There is moral focus. Where the kids focus on ideas like gratitude. They go on a lot of trips and have danecs. Every school has its issues. I'm not saying this school is perfect. I'm saying you get from this school what you put in. The teachers I have come across a pretty good. I work full time and can not make it to the school as often as some parent so I communicate a lot by email and notes and I have always received a quick response.

Posted December 21, 2013
As a teacher at Brooklyn Dreams, I am constantly being bombarded with due dates and expectations. I am being pressured to raise my 23 kids not on grade level to college proficiency yet I am not given the resources to do so. I receive unfriendly and cold emails when there happens to be one day where I just can't make a deadline because I have 10 other things also required of me to do. I get graded on bulletin boards My students and I put hours, even days, of work into, only to be told to do it all over again because it isn't pretty enough. I voice my opinion or explain my stress to my deans and they tell me that "they have been through it and had even more challenges they had to face". I just don't get it. Why is teaching supposed to be this hard? I want a job that I am happy to walk into. I don't want to feel intimidated by the people who are suppose to be helping me improve at my skill. If I could offer any advice, it would be to stay away from this school. It has sucked so much life out of the teachers, some of the ones that have been there the longest don't even see it. I

Posted December 02, 2013
I am a parent who lives and works close to the school and I am very concerned about how the teachers/staff speak to the children. In the yard for example they often yell and scream orders, punishments, and threats of no play for any child who is moving or talking after the whistle........I saw a teacher yell directly in a child's face once. I have also seen the staff embarrass the children by punishing them with 'no play' etc.. If I had a child at this school I would certainly make it my business to pass by during yard time. It is so bad at times that I have called the school to complain and my children don't even go there........the children's parents are at work and I would want someone to stand up for my children.
2 people found this helpful

Brooklyn Dreams Charter School 5

Posted August 15, 2013
My child has been attending since the school opening and I must say I am impressed with the expectations the new administration has for students. Those of you complaining,must not understand what it takes to graduate from college. With the recent state test results, it proves that the standards set were too low to compete in a collegiate setting and I think the new expectations are helping to prepare students to attend college on scholarships.

Posted August 14, 2013
I would advise against any parent to send their child to this school. My child had four teachers within a years span and their curriculum did not include science and social studies. When I spoke with the principal about the issue she seemed very flippant about the whole situation. She said the kids were very far behind in reading and math that the teachers had no choice? I removed my child from the school because I dread what will come of the middle school where there is a teacher for each subject when they clearly cannot keep ONE fifth grade teacher established. MY son also had a 504 plan that was DISREGARDED the entire school year even after I got in touch with a parent liason at National Heritage. With everything said, I'm sure the staff is well aware of who I am, one of the secretaries was "nice" enough to be rude and nasty to my child after I got outside employees involved with the issues I had with the school. No education, lots of drama. Better off sending your child to a public school. Good luck.

Brooklyn Dreams Charter School 3

Posted August 06, 2013
No established PTA. The principal will welcome the start. But, it is a hurdle. Toxic staff views overly involved parents as a nuisance. Eager parent volunteers, be careful! Your effort may be misinterpreted. For a stress-free year, focus on your child's education.

Posted August 04, 2013
Wow. Well I am glad I did my research before interviewing with this school. I have already worked at one school with a horrible administration- that's enough! It's a shame because until that situation is fixed, you aren't going to hire or keep quality teachers very easily.

Brooklyn Dreams Charter School
259 Parkville Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11230
Last modified Brooklyn Dreams Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brooklyn Dreams Charter School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top