Brooklyn, NY

Brooklyn School For Global Studies 1

Posted June 26, 2015
BSGS has a nice student body of very kind students and hard working teachers. The administration is the weakest link. Many teachers leave every year because the principals at BSGS abuse their power and bully their staff. Some students can sense the awkward relationships that the teachers have with the administration. Even with the dropping enrollment of around 240 students (6-12), the principals don't know even half the students by name. The culture of the school is of punishment and rewards not self-monitoring and enchanted learning which it should be lest we develop a herd of one-track thinking sheep. Additionally, the entering freshman class in 2015 never left the building on a single whole class field trip. (Some freshmen were hand picked for a college field trip that took place in April.) Overall, this school is in terrible need of improvement. Most students fail their regents exams multiple times. Graduation rates are extremely low. Mid-year schedule changes disrupt the learning process and teachers get burned out very quickly. And the solution by the admin to deal with these gaps is to simply introduce some branding techniques for digital art and the AVID program to lure new students. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Posted May 13, 2014
Right off Court Street, walking distance to Brooklyn Heights and Downtown Brooklyn, this school is in a great & safe location for kids. The teachers are great. The PTA is very active. The principal gets personally involved whenever possible. There's a variety of sports teams, clubs, study abroad opportunities, college readiness programs ... If your child wants it, the opportunities are here!

Posted May 12, 2014
As a parent of a student at this school, I find it to be a small personal setting. All of the teachers and staff are like parents to the children. This school has no medal detectors, which says alot for a high school in NYC today. There is tutoring available during lunch and after school in all subjects. the teachers work with the children to provide the best education they can. The principle and guidance department have an open door policy for parents. The children are accepted to many good colleges. Come and view the school for your self the doors are always open. We have a new Principal that is more responsive to parents. Joseph O'Brien is no longer the Principal

Posted May 12, 2014
The teachers here are all highly qualified, caring and dedicated to the success and building of character for their students. They come prepared each day to help their students reach their full potential. -Current Teacher

Posted May 12, 2014
Teaching at Global Studies has been an experience in itself and I will not trade it for anything in this world. Yes, we have gone through many trails and tabulations, but there is one thing I can say about Global Studies, its foundation is strong. The system pushes us push back and we push it back. Teachers have come and gone but they all have had very positive impacts on the students. This is apparent when the alumni come to visit. If Global did not have have to deal with the bureaucracy of politics, as many schools in the system do, we could just be about expanding knowledge, introducing new experiences, and rekindling the love of learning. I will always push for this style of Learning. I am a teacher, a tool for expanding knowledge, I teach at Global Studies. We are serious about strengthening the natural talents to develop the weaker abilities. Our focus is developing strong skilled and minded young men and women that can withstand challenges in their next stage in life. Yes average because there are always innovations to expand our delivery of information to allow for growth. Education and educating is not static.

Brooklyn School For Global Studies 5

Posted October 07, 2013
i am an student to this school the teachers are awsome the people are great the school is also mantianed very nice and clean you chidren will be very happy to go to this school

Posted February 25, 2009
here are many great things about the school such as student led conferences which replaced parent-teacher conferences. The student presents to the parent his/hers best and worst work and then has to defend it. A teacher is always present to assist and course teachers are available to meet with. The student is in charge explaining their understanding of the work and what can be done to better themselves and what steps do they plan to take going forward. The parent can ask the student any questions about their work. This to me is the child taking responsibility and I have seen such pride in their work since its inception. Responsiblity also belongs to the parents. As in some of the best public schools in NYC, participation in the PTA allows the parent to be involved in the process and know what is going on in their school. Join the PTA!

Posted February 11, 2009
I know for a fact that Global Studies is a good school, not because my child goes there; but I check up on him at impromptu times. The kids are always working in class and I occasionally bump into staff members while I am there ( also the principal). So my advice to parents who want to send their child there, don't be afraid.

Brooklyn School For Global Studies 5

Posted February 09, 2009
This is a great school. I will recommend it to my friends and family. BSGS care about educating your children and making them great citizens. My child has spent 3.5 years here and I'll do it again. Visit their web site http://www.myglobalstudies.com/home.aspx

Brooklyn School For Global Studies

Posted February 09, 2009
I think Global Studies principal & teacher's work hard at teaching students to be self-motivated and self-disciplined. Curriculum is designed to prepare students to live successfully as a contributing member of a community & be able to solve problems and adapt to change.

Brooklyn School For Global Studies
284 Baltic Street, Brooklyn, NY  11201
Last modified Brooklyn School For Global Studies is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brooklyn School For Global Studies Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top