Jhs 383 Philippa Schuyler

Public | 5-8 | 844 students

Posted December 10, 2013

I am a Philippa Schuyler Class of 2013 graduate. Im in highschool now, and I have to say, I miss Schuyler so much. I miss some of the teachers. I hated the school in 6th grade. 7th grade is a taste of what things will be like when your a senior, I started to like the school after i entered 7th grade. Being a senior in the school is the best experiences you will have being a Schuyler student. Yes, more pressure is put on you to do well especially because you will be graduating and moving onto highschool, but it was the best year I, along with many other graduates had. As a senior, pressure is put on you to do what you need to do, and teachers will often talk and give you lectures when you dont. You are told that you are the bosses of the school basically and to be a role model to the younger students. The younger kids look up to you. Message to any 8th graders right now and lower grade students reading this, DONT RELAX. Get every assignment in. To the 8th grade, after highschool week, just because you find out what H.S you go to wont mean you'll graduate. You arent safe until the day you graduate, so dont slack off. I miss Schuyler. Good luck to all,and to all future students-Alumni

Posted September 10, 2013

I have attended I.S.383 for the past 4 years and i loved every second of it. We have a great staff and education system, not only that but we have great kids attending this school. I graduated in 2013 and I love the school i am in now. We help kids with SHSAT exams and at least 23 i know of went to Specialized High Schools. I love everyone there and what they teach. Shout out to Ms.Hoyte who is the best ELA and friend a person can have. Thank You!

Posted December 2, 2012

I love this school. I am currently in the 7th grade. I have learned alot from this school and have great oppertunities. I would recommend going to this school. As the school moto says " To whom much is given much is required"

Posted October 16, 2012

6th grade was the best year for me i loved having many classes i miss all my sixth grade teachers like my technology teacher, art teacher, and my writing teacher. i wish i had all these classes but writing is not an option in the seventh grade. I'm currently enrolled in Schuyler and its the best school yet. All the classes are great,I give my school an A++ and my school deserves that rating

Posted July 25, 2012

A good middle school or should I say, a gifted and talented school provides academically for all students and is run by a principal with a vision and the ability to motivate and lead teachers. Not all of the teachers are bad, they have some excellent teachers. They have a few teachers who are actually failing students and cannot provide substantial evidence and the leadership has not acknowledge that there is a problem. This school should be removed as a "Gifted and Talented", It needs to be revamped by the Department of Education. Some of the teachers, along with the students are horrific. The teachers need to be held accountable for their actions or removed from their duties. Again, a good principal is one with a vision and the ability to motivate and lead teachers.

Posted July 5, 2012

I am writing as a parent and someone who worked on a part time basis with the school. The teachers, for the most part are exceptional I think the program needs to be more challenging and enriching. Some kids are allowed to act out their "ghetto mentality" and this needs to be checked by the administration. Some parents who are serious about their kids will be appalled by their behavior. These supposedly "Gifted and Talented" kids curse and fight in the class room! And most recently, I understand there will be "summer school" this summer for those who failed. In my opinion, these kids should be asked to leave the school. Another thing I find disturbing, is that the parent teacher association does not address the academic standing of the school and student behavior and achievement. I have attended a few meetings, where they only spoke about the political climate of the school, and fundraisers. The teachers do not even attend. I would like the forum to address teachers, students and parents issues, and we all need to be held accountable for our actions and our children's action in the school.

Posted July 4, 2012

I have different views about this school. I am a seventh grader going to 8th grade next year. the education is decent and teacers arent really that strict. tests come once in a while but the activities are very poor. throughout this whole year, we had one lousy major seventh grade trip, to Funplex which wasnt really that fun either. like other reviews had said, don't get tied up with the name "Gifted and Talented", this was the reason my mom told me to go to this school. the school is great though, the teachers are fun, the ed. is great, gym is nice but the school itself needs a make over. also the school looks, dead. i wouldnt really go to this school, reasearch before u go somewhere. you can find great teachers any where

Posted December 1, 2011

All 3 of my children have been to I.S.383. The challenging academic program combined with an excellent Arts program gave them the foundation for excellence in High school. I am very proud of the young adults my children have become. I see them living the I.S.383 motto everyday.

Posted June 28, 2011

My child has attended this school since the 5th Grade. He will be entering his senior year in September 2011. Since he has been there I cannot really say there is anything negative to say on the school. The teachers that my child has experienced in his three years of attending I.S. 383 have been very helpful. The school takes the initiative to inform parents of any workshops, issues and events occurring in the school. I particularly like that extended day is offered in this school. It gave my child the help he needed when he was struggling in certain subjects. The school offers many different subjects and activities that other junior high schools may not offer. In turn, this gives the childrent the opportunity to explore areas that they may want to explore for future endeavours. The school is clean and the environment a positive one. The school is easily accessible by many different forms of public transportation. I am glad my child has attended this school and proud to say my child is a Schuyler student.

Posted June 10, 2011

Hello, I am A student at Philippa Schuyler(I.S 383). It is a academically challenging school,however, it has poor faculty and staff. there is a handful of teachers who you can say really put time in and help students. They are financially challenged and can't afford air conditioner therefore it is too hot to think in 99 degree weather. the desk are chipped and the school is old, plain, and drab. We have a basketball team but like i said, time isn't there. They are constantly canceling practices and games. Most text books are ripped, ragged and old. I would go on but that is just a waist of time. Don't be fooled by the name "For The Gifted And Talented" like my mother has, i wouldn't take my child to this school, PLEASE.

Posted June 11, 2010

Incredible school with caring Principal, teachers and a history of success. My son graduates Schuyler this year, I'm confident he's taking with him a knowledge and skill set that he would use in society.

Posted March 23, 2010

i Attend P.Schuyler +& it is good. but the teachers are okay. The lunch is normal even though i dont eat it. +& test arent as hard if you did ur homework and stuff like that. Well im off thiss. Byee Byee Comee and bring your kids to schuyler.

Posted September 26, 2009

I did a lot of research before selecting Phillipa Schuyler as the middle school for my child. Its only the first month of schools so I really hope my concerns are invalid. My son has already told me about bullying in the school and that there is not a lot of discipline. Also, there does not seem to be any focus on activities outside of academics. Our children have already established they are smart enough to get into the school and of course there should be a regimen that focuses on keeping our children ahead. However, where are the afternoon school programs and extracurricular activities? Where are the trips? Clubs? I think I might've expected too much. I have been researching other schools that are also focused on the gifted and talented and they seem to be focus on making the kids well rounded. Overall satisfied with concerns.

Posted August 16, 2009

Philippa schuyler is a wonderful school. It encourages student to do well in school from the help and pressure of the teachers and adults.As a graduate of schuyler I saw that competition wasn't the best thing, only when someone was competing them self. This i know personally because i was very competitive, that it was hard to function in the schuyler environment where kids would or wouldn't like you because you act like a so called 'know it all'. with this mentality in mind when in schuyler you would surely crash and burn! So just have faith in you're self that u would make friends and do well in school by studying ,working hard and being individually competive. And inorder to be a true Schuyla Head be cool and have you're own unique personality!

Posted January 20, 2009

I currently have a 7th grader in Schuyler. I think that it is a great school academically. However, I think that they need to have more social events as well. It is a lot of pressure and I think that the kids would benefit from sports related events and/or dances and trips. I also wish the parent coordinator was more involved with the parents.

Posted January 4, 2009

I like that this school sets high standards and offers a huge variety of classes. I don't like that students get robbed from kids in the surrounding community on a daily basis: phones, IPODS, sneakers, and bookbags. The schoolyard needs to be available to the students!

Posted January 2, 2009

I.S.383 Is a great school. I am now in the 8th grade getting ready to graduate in 2009!! I like my school because the teachers in the school help me achieve higher and higher to the next level!!Cant wait till I graduate!!! 09 here I come!

Posted December 1, 2008

I.S 383 is a very good school. Currently I am in the 8th grade about to graduate in 09. I must say this school has caring teachers, good classes, and ALOT OF DRAMA! Slightly a bit over-crowded but not to the extreme. Being a senoir we have alot of pressure put on us but, the teachers help you out. This school is great. I have so many friends I really love it. I cant wait to graduate! 09!!

Posted October 7, 2008

i was in this school for three years i graduated in june and now im a freshman in h.s. and i really miss schuyler. it wasnt perfect there were a lot of things i didnt like but overall it was a good school. now i kinda miss it because h.s is really hard. i miss the warm caring attitude of most of the teachers in schuyler.

Posted October 1, 2008

I am in this school and I think its excellent because you get to choose two classes.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

262 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

262 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

254 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

254 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2013.

243 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

242 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

244 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students63%

Not economically disadvantaged31%
General population33%
Non-migrant33%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students41%

Not economically disadvantaged95%
General population93%
Non-migrant91%

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "C" for the middle school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 42%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 1122 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.4

7.1

7.2

8.2

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

7.9

8.5

7.3

8.5

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.6

7.7

7.1

7.2

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.2

Parents32741%
Students75196%
Teachers4494%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)

Apply now