Brooklyn, NY
Students enrolled: 1,068

Posted October 26, 2014
Former student here in the 6th grade, I had an excellent English teacher, Ms. L, who first gave me strict impressions but eventually guided me and other to make significant progress in the subject. There was also Mr. D, my favorite science teacher of all time, used always meet me on my walk home and tell me, "See you tomorrow buddy." He also held a fun class using demonstrations from students which presented his teaching points in a comical way. Lastly, there was Ms. S who taught me many sophisticated math topics before any other advanced math class ever did preparing me with extra knowledge for the next year. In conclusion, a multitude of talented teachers guided me through the school year teaching me a myriad of things I'm glad to know today! P.S. This was the only year I ever aced the state English Language Arts test, so thank you Ms. L!
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 11, 2014
The school has no control over the kids. The halls are just too crowded, and the kids have disgusting behavior. My kids came to this school because we moved and I regret it. The teachers are great, but the Principle does nothing to stop bad behavior; and when she does, the kids get suspensions, for the 10th time. The word "manners" is not in their dictionary and the kids don't want to learn. The kids that take the school buses, have fights for "fun" and the bus drivers do nothing. I would not recommend this school to anyone. Especially people that are from A Grade schools. The school is also behind on academic lessons. My kids learned in 7th grade what the school is teaching in 8th grade. During dismissal, the kids are let out like like a herd of cattle. I moved from one side of Brooklyn to the other. I never realized that there was this much of a difference in conduct and behavior, and would not advocate this school to any parent. No parent wants their kids to come home depressed and tense. I would give this school zero stars out of five.

Posted April 27, 2014
The school houses a great percentage of students who behavioral issues. Administration is ineffective and borderline incompetent in dealing with bullying situations.

Posted February 10, 2014
This school is one of the few who has a Nest program for kids with Asperger, the teachers are very cooperative and it is always clean, and organized.

Posted October 20, 2013
Marine Park Junior High is an amazing peforming arts focused high school where students gain confidence in their abilities and soar to excellence. The school offers high level academics and rigorous programs.

Posted October 16, 2013
Marine Park was the school I wanted to attend because yes I lived in East Flatbush but I did not want to go to the schools in my neighborhood. I knew when I first got to the school it was going to be good for me. I did things I never thought I would have used today. I learned to type, introduced to computers and I was able to speak in front of a small group who actually listened. Times have changed in 1993-96 Marine Park was a great school I loved most of my teachers caused they pushed me. I mostly grew found of my Dean Ms. Doyle she was like my best friend. Its hard to find teachers and faculty that cared. School has changed but as parents we must push our children to strive to be better. Yes when I went to Marine Park it began to have a diverse population of students. It was great for me because I never had any problems with the different races I made many friends. I heard it has changed but again I believe a child can learn in any school but the parent also have to work witht that child. A teacher's job is not easy and we cannot just leave everything up to them. We have to also be role models to our children and stop letting the teacher be the second parent. We are responsible.

Posted September 23, 2013
My son is now in the 8th grade at Marine Park JHS. He came from P.S. 222 which was fantastic. I had my reservations about sending him here, but I have to say, he has done really well. He is in the Park Prep program, made Arista/Archon society 2 years in a row. He did have issues the beginning of 6th and 7th grade with bullying/teasing. I spoke to Ms. Heller who is the dean and she dealt with the situation that day. He has never had any problems since then. Of course, like any school, there are good/bad teachers, staff members who care/don't care, but overall he's had a good year. Only complaint is parents who double park in front of the school where buses are picking up kids. School needs to do something about that.

Posted September 13, 2013
My son just graduated from PS 277 Gerritsen Beach school which is an outstanding school. I always knew my headache will start when he goes into Middle School, I have to say this school is no good. While I was waiting in the main office parents were registering their kids from East New York, Canarsie and Bed-stuy the school offers MTA buses for these students. There is absolutely no control in the Lunchroom and during dismissal. All these kids are in groups and ready to start trouble in the neighborhood, with other students including parents which is insane. The teachers don't see to know much of anything, and can not handle these wild students who has no respect for any staff member. Parents please do not let PS 277 tell you that Marine Park school is not that bad, the school pushes parents towards that school because the Gerritsen Beach community is zoned for that school. My poor son came out of the school terrify and schooless and the worst part is no one wants to get involved and help my son get into a better shool.

Posted June 18, 2013
The school is full of bullies. The teachers never seem to "notice" when bullying occurs. The school does not follow up on the incidents. Many teachers are dismissive of kids' comments and needs. Stay away from this school if you can.

Posted April 29, 2013
Im in the regents class and I have to say Mrs.Cacavo (Earth Science Teacher) is one of the best teachers there . Mrs.Klein also is wonderful , but her test are sometimes hard . This school is Mix with a lot of talented kids...The Kids are sometimes bad but my dean Mr.Burger and Assistant Principal Mrs.O'Connell are really nice if you get on their good side.. Other then that ..I hope the new students enjoy Marine Park !!!

Jhs 278 Marine Park
1925 Stuart Street, Brooklyn, NY  11229
Last modified Jhs 278 Marine Park is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jhs 278 Marine Park Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 71 reviews. Top