Brooklyn, NY

Ps 9 Teunis G Bergen 2

Posted April 18, 2015
PS 9 has potential that hasn't been reached yet. Most of the teachers are hardworking and some have to deal with challenging conditions like large class size (30+) and not many resources. Each of my child's teachers has had to use Donors Choose to get basic supplies like books for the classroom. There is diversity in the school but the classes on each grade end up being quite segregated. The dual language classes are predominately white while the general ed and special ed classes are predominately students of color. The gifted classes are the most diverse. The administration has been a disappointment. They are disorganized and give lip service to some legitimate parent concerns. I think this school works well for some families but it hasn't been so great for us. The arts programs are mostly in the classroom led by outside arts organizations. There is no art or music teacher.

Ps 9 Teunis G Bergen 2

Posted November 18, 2014
Our child has been a student at PS 9 since First Grade, and we have been somewhat happy with the experience. The G&T class is the only diverse class in each grade. A great deal of time has been set aside from inquiry to prep the kids for the Common Core tests, and one gets the sense that the school is struggling to make the grade. The middle school options are not great, and the school does not have any record of placing students in notable middle schools. Everyone wants the school to succeed but several of its best teachers have left in the past two years. One fifth grade parent asked the teacher who taught their child in the third and fourth grades for a middle school recommendation, and the teacher refused.

Ps 9 Teunis G Bergen 3

Posted October 29, 2013
My child is a 3rd grader and has been a student since pre-k. It's a good neighborhood school with a warm, friendly environment, varied curriculum, and an energetic & diverse community. It has a core group of parents who have been strong advocates for the school. The school's potential - which is that to Park Slope's 321- has not yet been realized in my opinion. The adminstration/teachers have many good qualities but need to do more to meet the demands of a changing neighborhood that has put a greater focus on improving the school's environment & academics. The principal has been too loyal to long-time employees that are not dynamic enough to keep up with the school's growth. The neighborhood - home owners, real estate companies & local businesses - are also somewhat to blame as it has been a bit slow to realize that a thriving PS9 is good for the community. They need to contribute far more to the school than they are currently doing. Too many homeowners of 2-3 MM homes do not send their kids here nor contribute to the school financially. The DOE has not been a friend to PS9 either and certainly has caused the school stress right at the time that it was beginning to grow & excel.

Posted October 29, 2013
I am very pleased and happy with P.S.9. My children love it. They are very engaged and enjoy going to shcool everday. Only one draw back, I wished the class size was much smaller. Overall though excellent school definitely recommend for your little ones.

Posted October 29, 2013
My daughter is beginning her second year at PS 9. We have absolutely enjoyed their attention to the whole child. The school is a community where everyone is able to participate and interact with one another. Parents lend their gifts and talents to the success of the school. Teachers learn the kids and positively interact with them regardless of which class or grade they are in. My daughter is in the dual language program and is thriving both academically and bilingually. The open door policy of the principal is because she genuinely cares about everyone in her community. My son went to private school K - 12 and I honestly did not feel the interconnection and thriving community connection that I now feel with PS 9 with any of the schools he attended.

Posted October 29, 2013
This school has a wonderful community. It is constantly seeking to improve itself and has wonderful leadership by Ms. D'Avilar.

Posted October 24, 2013
We are extremely happy with PS 9. Our son is in 2nd grade, and absolutely loves it. He has had terrific teachers and is reading above his grade level. The PTO is very active, and the community is invaluable. I do wish the school had more money to help enhance the teacher to student ratio. We need more TAs and substitutes.

Posted October 02, 2013
PS9 is the epitome of what a neighborhood public school should be. It's a nurturing place that cares about its children and its families and provides a strong foundation to the neighboring community. There are other schools around that may have fancier programs or certainly better funding, but this place is ours -- we love it and it loves us back. I have two boys attending the school and they are happy to get there every single day. The parents and teachers and administration all work together, with egos and other agendas laid aside, to do the best they can do for the children and the strength of the community as a whole.

Posted September 29, 2013
I am really excited for my child to be attending our fantastic neighborhood school. My son has finished his third week of Kindergarten, and I see tremendous growth in his reading skills. His teacher is fantastic, really great with the kids and very in charge, hard to do with 20 5 year olds. I am very impressed with the Principal and her passion for the kids, and in particular for her passion in having the children learn academically and emotionally. The environment is very positive. There is a tremendous amount of parent involvement in the school, and a large focus on fundraising. Sadly, the librarian that was hired last year was let go due to budget cuts.

Posted September 27, 2013
My Children love PS 9 and so does my husband and I!. Ms. D'Avilar is great Principal loves children and it shows; she has a wonderful open door policy. As busy as she is she takes the time out listen to each parents concerns and child's. She is fair and always puts the kids' safety first. The parent coordinator is amazing! She is always keeping the school up to date on all school activities and issues and sends out weekly communications via email to all PS 9 parents so that you are in the know. The PTO is also amazing! They are so involved; they work closely with the Principal and staff to make sure all their classroom needs are met. PS 9 focuses on the whole child! I have been a PS 9 parent for 4 years so far, and I have been very pleased with the education children have been receiving. My kids are actually excited to go to school each day. Each class has their own shutterfly website so that even if you weren't able to chaperone a trip, attend a performance or a classroom event/celebration you have a chance to view pictures or videos and feel like you didn't miss a thing.

Ps 9 Teunis G Bergen
80 Underhill Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11238
Last modified Ps 9 Teunis G Bergen is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 9 Teunis G Bergen Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 128 reviews. Top