Posted May 01, 2014
I am thrilled with PS 11. My daughter is in kindergarten, her first year in the school, and her growth has been tremendous. Her teacher, Ms. Pitts, has not only taught her how to read and write but has instilled a true love of reading and writing. My daughter now writes in her journal when she's upset, creates menus when we're planning a party, makes signs and hangs them all over the house -- she's teaching me things about animals that I didn't know! Aside from her individual experience in kindergarten, I'm also incredibly impressed by Principal Wrighton's wise leadership and commitment, as well as the commitment of the whole school team and especially the Assistant Principals. The PTA is strong and active, providing amazing after school enrichment choices and lots of fun events to engage with the school community.

Ps 11 Purvis J Behan 4

Posted April 30, 2014
PS11 is truly a community school. We love that this means all sorts of families and students from all backgrounds make up the school family (and all live nearby). The staff and administration place a strong emphasis on socio-emotional development and I feel my children are truly known and are taught to love their classmates as family. I often say that PS11 is the happiest place on earth - it is intoxicating and contagious as you walk through the halls. Major strengths of this school are their emphasis on analytical and critical thinking and their focus on the arts and sciences. Their fifth graders are truly impressive and articulate. Many have said to me they value that their strengths are nurtured at PS11 so that they had a clear idea of what they wanted for their middle school experience. My kids love learning, love going to school, and you couldn't ask for a nicer group of peers (who they see in their neighborhood).

Ps 11 Purvis J Behan 4

Posted April 29, 2014
PS11 is a wonderful neighborhood school with a very active and passionate parent body. I'm happy that I chose this school over some other well sought after schools outside of district 13 or a charter school. The environment is welcoming, expectations are high and the academics are rigorous, but balanced enough so that the children actually enjoy learning. Test prep is important but it isn't the mainstay of the classroom so that the children are actually learning about historical people and subject matter, reading engaging non-fiction and realistic fiction whole class novels and writing essays, not just learning how to take a test. There's a lot of enrichment offered and new things are being added all of the time. Newly added this year, a debate team who has already won awards. As far as improvements go, most of the improvements I would want to see would have to come from the Department of Education. Sure there are personality clashes at times, but that's a part of life and the source must be considered. With 700+ students, utopia doesn't exist.

Posted March 23, 2014
If you are looking for a school of academic excellence, a challenging and rigorous curriculum in a nurturing setting, enrichment opportunities, extra-curricular programs, classes in The Arts and Sciences, high expectations for all including behavioral expectations, an active parent body, a diverse community, and so much more, the Purvis J, BEHAN school -PS11 just may be the school for you and your child(ren). Currently serving 740+ students and growing, Pre-K - 5.

Ps 11 Purvis J Behan 3

Posted January 28, 2014
This school potentially has all the good components of a great public school. Unfortunately the environment between staff and parents is extremely dis-satisfactory. If there is a problem with your child that is more on the fault of the staff, they do not want to hear it and they will make it very obvious. Especially the principal and one of the assistant principals. They speak to you in a very condescending manner as if they were the only people who went to college and got degrees. As an African American its very sad to get that treatment from the principal since she is as well. I have never had any issues of respect and professionalism when dealing with the white staff for the last 3 years that my child has been attending. I try to go with the flow because I believe my child is getting a good education but its sad when there's this lack of feeling welcomed. I think this school needs new leadership.

Ps 11 Purvis J Behan 1

Posted December 17, 2013
I had to remove my son from this school. I think the principle in insane and a control freak. I had to remove my son from this school because his teacher was bring very unprofessional. My son is a good kid and it his new school he was immediately placed on the honor role. I think if this school wants to make it they need a new principal. If you can don't send your child to this school you will regret it.

Posted April 30, 2013
My daughter has been here since PreK and is now finishing up first grade. PS 11 continues to be a wonderful place for our family. They've started a violin program for all second graders (new this year), have a five-day a week afterschool enrichment program, cookshop, playworks, visits from local authors and artists, weekly science, gym, computer, and art classes. Ms. Wrighton and Ms. Hope run a very well-organized ship: a school that truly accommodates a very diverse group of wonderful, wonderful kids. Since PreK, I had the chance to tour a few other schools. What has kept us at 11 is the openess, enthusiasm, and wealth of activities. Notably, PS 9, which is quite similar to 11 (and also a great place), didn't feel quite as much like home to me. Perhaps because we were already entrenched here! If I had any critiques at all, they would have more to do with the new common core standards, which seem to impose kind of arbitrary objectives on how and when children should learn. I do think, however, that PS 11's administration has a realistic handle on how to implement them effectively without sacrificing the many enrichment classes that make it a great school.

Ps 11 Purvis J Behan 1

Posted October 02, 2012
i had to take my daughter from this school she had hard time and got depressed for the but true 3 years thats she was there she had nothing but problems i believe this school is very unorganized when my daughter had problems with other students no one really helped her she was so depressed i had to transfer her sorry but true

Posted December 06, 2011
P.S. 11 has been the precursor to my numerous successes throughout my personal & professional attainments in life...The science and recreation instructor and the many other staff persons are the standard by which I hold other educators...From the Royal Rangers, Air Force ROTC, Collegiate Career, Civic Volunteerism and working in the Non-for-profits...The educational dreams and aspirations eventually pursued began there...and although life has thrown some curve balls at me from time to time the educational anchor given to me there has allowed me to stay in the game on an equal playing field....theirs is the model worth replicating...

Posted August 14, 2011
My child has attended PS11 since 2nd grade until her recent graduation. She has loved the school the entire time. Mrs. Wrighton is a very caring and excellent principal. My daughter's excelled in her academics by her last year in PS11 and that's because of Mrs. Wrighton's diligence in making sure that everyone of her students do well in her awesome school. With all the various programs they have at this school to help the children, they cannot fail. The teachers are great and the parent involvement is excellent too.

Ps 11 Purvis J Behan
419 Waverly Ave, Brooklyn, NY  11238
Last modified Ps 11 Purvis J Behan is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 11 Purvis J Behan Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top