Bad
Good

I love this school. My son has attended since pre-K and now is in 3rd grade. He has thrived academically and socially. This year the 3rd graders had the first year of state ex His teachers prepared them gently and without pressure. My son was a little nervous the first day, but afterwards said "it was fine". It's hard to get more of an answer than that, but he wasn't nervous for the next two tests. That being said (and done) they all enjoy the spring and he still wants to get his homework done. Thanks P.S.15

My school is PS 15 and I really can't say enough about it. We have a daughter in Pre-K here and we love it. Small class size, a diverse and friendly student body, caring and progressive teachers and a motivated principal all combine for a truly dynamic atmosphere. Add to all that; brand new Magnet status and the hefty grant that comes with it! If you like your school personal, friendly and diverse this is the place for you! Best of all - my daughter can't wait to get there every morning!

This is a small community-based school that has really embraced the culture of Red Hook. It has a vibrant and driven principal, engaged parent participation, and local support from the community. I especially like the small class size and the teacher to student ratio. This is our first year in the public school system so my knowledge is limited but I would say that the consumption of juice could be reduced. I do not think this a PS 15 problem alone. Since my preschooler is a picky eater, this is a sore subject for me.

My daughter currently attends P.S 15. This is her first year at the school. We moved to the neighborhood June of this year. She attends Kindergarten. I asked about the schools in the area when I moved and hear a lot of good things about P.S 15. I attend Stewardship Day last month and it was lovely. I bought my kids out to help plant for flowers in the school playground. They enjoyed it and had fun along with others. The principal Ms. Madison and the parent coordinator Ms. Laboy were there. They greeted us with a warm welcome. Afterwards we ate some snacks and when we left we received tee-shirts for our hard work. I'm looking forward for the rest of the school year. I hope to attend more events and get to know more about the school.

I have a first grader enrolled at PS 15 who also attended Pre-k and K here as well. The school is wonderful because it is small. It has a "little red schoolhouse" feel to it. Everyone knows each other. The principal, Peggy Wyns-Madison, is dedicated and values each child. She is also friendly and approachable. The teachers are great and bring out the best in the children. Our PTA president, who has four children at the school, cares for the school deeply. Finally, our parent coordinator, Ms. Laboy, is like an old friend to all parents; old & new.

Our daughter will be entering her third year at PS 15. We have had a wonderful experience there. She tested into G&T at the end of PreK but we decided to stay at 15 and have no regrets. It is such a welcoming environment with administrators, teachers and the principal being available for all comments and ideas. Our daughter has excelled, not just academically, but also emotionally. She started shy and has really come out of her shell and clearly feels so accomplished and cared for. The programs available at the school are amazing-- dance, art, music. She is reading well above her "level" and that has been supported. And how wonderful that this is our community school! We feel we lucked out and look forward to being part of the school growing and further diversifying.

Love it. Small class sizes, incredibly dedicated and experienced teachers, arts and music emphasis, progressive, project-based learning, all under the direction of an energetic and enthusiastic principal. Unfortunately for those of us who love the small class sizes, gentrifying Red Hookers are starting to discover this gem of a school.

We have had a great experience at PS 15. This is our second year as parents in this school. We had reservations about staying on board after Pre-K, being a minority of the so called 'New" Red Hook, in other words the 'gentrifying' community. Our son is having a very good experience. In a CTT Kindergarden classroom there are two teachers for 20 kids. The teachers are dedicated and love their work, and are very responsive to any of our input and concerns, as are the rest of the staff of the school including the principal. Our son has violin classes twice a week and keyboard once a week. He has many enrichment classes and programs in the arts (and I find I am the envy of my friends with kids at neighboring schools, including BNS and PS29 because of this). In reading and writing, his teachers accommodate his advanced needs in small group instruction so that he progresses at a good pace that is right for him. His needs are met and he is developing beautifully on an academic and social/emotional level.

I know some happy parents there, but I also know many unhappy parents at PS 15. I know a couple of parents that have been so unhappy they have pulled there children out from preschool and kindergarten. I have hopes for the school in the future, but I would not recommend this school to any parent who is hoping for a place that fosters development and learning.

our daughter has had a wonderful year in pre-k so far - her teachers are responsive, committed, and experienced. we couldn't be happier. the school itself is dedicated to improvement, though sometimes it seems a bit disorganized to make real headway - hopefully it will pull itself together completely a become another great brooklyn success story.

Last modified Ps 15 Patrick F Daly is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.