Ps 29 John M Harrigan 4

Posted May 25, 2014
My son goes to this school. I love the staff. My issue with this school is the lack of homework. My son is in kindergarten, and if he brought homework home twice, he brought a lot. My other concern is Why do we need to pay for afterschool care? That service is suppose to be free for all public schools. I would surely recommend this school.

Posted September 28, 2010
It has only been 2 weeks so far but my daughter has expressed that she is enjoying her school much better than her prior school. The community is extremely supportive of the PTA. And the support allows the PTA to provide great services to the kids and parents. The teachers and staff that I have met so far are knowledgable, friendly but with the right amount of firmness. The principal is clearly involved in making the school even better during and after school-hours by organizing committees to tackle any problems. In addition during school hours she is easy to approach by the kids as she spends time in the lunchroom assisting the volunteers and staff. The school also is commited to provide healthy lunches by growing their own vegetables and bringing in a chef to create better balanced meals than the city provides. I have to say that so far I'm very impressed by school staff and the community coming together to help give our kids a better education.

Ps 29 John M Harrigan 3

Posted August 10, 2010
PS 29 is GREAT; if your child is a little white girl. If they are "of color" (ANY color) come and be ready to deal with administration again and again. So many people push to get their children in this school, but parents of African American boys are pulling them out. I can count four right off the top of my head. (All good students, who have gone on and done quite well) My son was subjected to "major" racial incidences EVERY year (K, 1st, 2nd, ...) . Administration? Uninterested and uninvolved. And with as many First Year teachers they hire, would it KILL them to hire a teacher of color? I mean really.

Ps 29 John M Harrigan 1

Posted August 05, 2010
I do not recommend this school to anyone who asks. We have been here some time and, unlike others in the school community, we don't have resources to move to private school. This school preaches diversity but does not practice it. Children of color or whose parents aren't constantly present are left out. They teach too much to tests and once the tests are done - so are they. Late May and June is a play date. It's clear the principal and her staff get "bonuses" based on tests so they have little interest in providing a strong education. Most 5th graders are stumped by simple math - a failure no matter what the scores are. And the new scores bear this out. Look at the decline from 3rd to 5th. There are some good teachers there but they are hampered by administators who hover.

Posted April 15, 2010

Posted April 14, 2010
PS 29 is a wonderful school, with great teachers, administrators and a very engaged parent community.

Posted April 14, 2010
PS29 is a terrific community, everyone in it together to provide kids with a great education. I have been very impressed and am looking forward to my second child attending next year.

Posted December 03, 2009
Great school with good arts, science and P.E.

Posted November 04, 2009
Amazing teachers, strong leadership, caring and involved parents, great arts initiatives, high standards, wonderful community!

Posted November 01, 2009
The warm and wonderfully involved community; the amazingly organized and helpful staff/adminstration; the great teachers; and openness to new ideas--anything to continually improve the school and give the students the best education and experience.

Ps 29 John M Harrigan
425 Henry Street, Brooklyn, NY  11201
Last modified Ps 29 John M Harrigan is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 29 John M Harrigan Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top