Posted September 18, 2014
My son is on kindergarten at PS 31. He did pre-k there and we loved it, but this year I have concerns. There are 28 children in his class and the teacher has no assistant. They go from one subject to the next, behind a desk all day long, save for gym two days a week and art one day a week. He has about four pages (30 minutes) of homework each night. I fear that in their focus on high test scores, they aren't putting these little ones' emotional, physical and psychological well-being high enough on their priority list.

Posted October 16, 2013
ps31 samuel dupont.MY SONS A 2ND GRADE SECIAL ED STUDENT AT PS31.HES BEEN HERE SINCE KINDERGARTEN & SOIM HAPPY FAR WITH THE SCHOOL.I FEEL THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE HELP& COMMUNICATION BTWN SPECIAL NEEDS TEACHERS& THE PARENTS.THE SCHOOL SHLD HAVE BETTER EXTRA HELP FOR THE SPECIAL ED PROGRAM.THERE NEEDS TO BE AN EMAIL PROVIDED FOR PARENTS FROM TEACHERS SO THAT WE CAN COMUNICATE BETTER I FEEL I NEED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT MY SONS DAY& MILESTONES BEING REACHED.HAVING A SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD IS EXTRA EMOTIONAL& I NEED TO KNOW THE BREAK THROUGHS HE'S MAKING OTHER THAN JUST PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCE 2X YEARLY.I HAD A GREAT EXPIERIENCE W/1ST GRADE TEACHER MS.MAKOWER LAST YEAR,SHE WAS ABOVE AND BEYOND OF BEING A GREAT TEACHER,OTHER TEACHERS CAN LEARN FROM HER,SHE WAS MORE THAN INFORMATIVE,SHE WAS JUST AS PROUD OF MY SON AS I WAS WHEN ACCOMPLISHING A GOAL& HIM BEING AUTISTIC SHE HELPED MONITOR HIS SOCIAL GROWTH& I REALLY APPRECIATED KNOWING HOW HIS DAY WENT SINCE ITS DIFFICULT FOR HIM TO EXPRESS THIS TO ME. LIKE I MENTIONED I LOVE THIS SCHOOL& FEEL MY CHILD IS SAFE HERE. I THINK PUBLIC SCHOOLS SHLD SEPARATE SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN ACCORDING TO THEIR SPECIAL NEEDS SUCH AS AUTISIM,THEY NEED SPEC. INST

Ps 31 Samuel F Dupont 4

Posted October 16, 2013
PS31 samuel dupont THERE NEEDS TO A BETTER BULLYING SYSTEM AND MORE TALKS WITH THE CHILDREN REGARDING WHAT BULLYING ACTUALLY IS AND LET THEM KNOW THERE ARE SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES TO BEING A BULLY. TEACHERS NEED TO PAY EXTRA ATTENTION TO WHAT THESE KIDS ARE SAYING TO ONE ANOTHER WHETHER IT BE AT LUNCH OR IN THE HALL, IN THE BATHROOM BECAUSE THIS IS WHEN ITS HAPPENING. I KNOW ITS HARD TO KEEP TRACK OF A WHOLE BUNCH OF KIDS BUT WHEN IT COMES TO A CHILD BEING BULLIED , ITS SERIOUS.CHILDREN CAN NOT LEARN PROPERLY, THEY DO NOT WANT TO COME TO SCHOOL,THEY ARE IN CONSTANT WORRY AND FEAR & CANT FOCUS LIKE THEY SHOULD WITH THEIR SCHOOL WORK. MY CHILD HAS BEEN BULLIED HERE , EVEN THOUGH I KNOW THERE IS BULLYING IN EVERY SCHOOL , IM NOT BAD MOUTHING THE SCHOOL I JUST LOVE THIS SCHOOL SO MUCH IT & WOULD BE SHAME TO HAVE TO CHANGE SCHOOLS BECAUSE MY CHILD IS CRYING DAILY.

Posted September 26, 2013
This school is amazing and always has been point blank period. I am now 26 am went there from 1st grade all the way threw 6th grade and even as a kid I loved it. I always told myself if I were to ever have a child they would attend there as well and sure enough my son has attended Pre-k and now is in kindergarten and I couldn't ask for more he love his school and the staff. He learned soo much in pre-k and now being in kindergarten is already learning sight words and brings books home daily for me to read to him. Everyone is very attentive and organized the classrooms aren't over crowded and I am constantly getting letters home keeping me aware of all that is going on in the school. I highly recommend this school! A++
2 people found this helpful

Posted January 22, 2013
This school definitely has more pros than cons. There is excellent communication amongst teachers and parents. I feel one hundred percent sure that my child is safe. There is no bullying tolerated thanks to the lovely principle. There really are a wonderful group of parents and children. Although, at times the children may be on overload with home work my son loves his school. i do wish there were some fun activities like recess but, education comes first. In the future this will pay off. Teachers especially work so hard and have a very important role in our childrens lives. A big thank you to all the staff at P.S. 31.

Posted January 17, 2013
I am not convinced that this is the ''BEST'' school as everyone seems to rave about. I yet to experience the challenging academic programs . All I see are teachers covering for each other and worrying more about petty situations instead of making it a fun experience for the children.

Posted December 19, 2012
The school is amazing. yes they dont have recess, and yes the kids are HAPPY there. They do gym, trip, Holyday party, Faboulous Fridays.They have chess, visual arts and movements/arts programs, they grow trouts, chickens and frogs, with very little amount of money. But most important, they are great ACADEMICALLY, the kids, all, have amazing grades, the teachers are extremely well prepared, they follow each and every kids individually and they are extremely caring. The principal is always available and constantly listening to parents and staff suggestions. The PTA is full of initiative.There is no bullying at all, the school is 100% safe and the staff is dedicated to make every kids comfortable.There is overall a concentration of good willing people at the school. I personally have two kids here and drive from another district , with a more "artistic-less caring school "every single morning for the sake to give my kids the best education they can have, and I never regret to have left the school in my block for one more far away. And in regard of the recess I can provide as a parent as much free time as I want for my kids when they are out of school.

Ps 31 Samuel F Dupont 4

Posted December 12, 2012
I agree the review posted on 11-29-12 is not from a parent. Parents want the best for their children, should be somebody that doesnt know this is America, when you have rights, we pay the services, nothing is free. I was surprise when i knew this school dont offer recess, but this school has a lot of good things, we can be more involved for get what is missing. I feel good for this school because my child is safe, the enviroment, activities, organization, he feels happy. There are an after school available for this school but they need to walk to go there.

Posted December 09, 2012
If parents are going to write reviews, they should proof read THEIR work, not t-h-e-r-e. It is sad when you have someone that cannot write intelligently suggesting others to go somewhere else. Is this person a product of the school? I agree that the school falls short of programs but it can be a great school if we have the right mix of staff & parents working together. For someone to dismiss the arts by suggesting that its about crayons & coloring obviously does not have the intellect to even write a review.

Posted November 29, 2012
Great school, Great Principal , Great Staff ,awesome Children ,Great education .. If ya don't like the school & how well your child is being taught than by all means Go somewhere else that your kids can run around in the yard (recess),maybe fall & get hurt , or put there books away that they were reading and learning about History or englishand math and take out there crayons & color .. Like really Get your priorites straight .If ya not happy Hey Find another school that can offer all that oh and baby sitting services after school LOL

Ps 31 Samuel F Dupont
75 Meserole Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11222
Last modified Ps 31 Samuel F Dupont is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 31 Samuel F Dupont Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 155 reviews. Top