Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

My son does well academically, however the school is very rigid and there is a lack of extracurrilcar fun activies for the children. Recess is very limited and the kids can hardly even talk at lunch time. They need to incorporate more fun activities for the children. Good school but there is room for improvement.

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

The school does not effectively deal with bullies. They seem bothered when a child reports an incident to the teacher and they brush the inicident off until a parent steps in or the child fights back.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

The school is very strict and they like to sweep a lot of inicidents that happen under the rug. There should be more dialogue between leadership and parents.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The teachers at PS 31 are Great. My son is doing very well academically and he gets very good grades.

Amount of homework: Agree

The children have a lot of home work but the teachers give them a break on the weekends.

They do have recess. My child is in Pre-K and they go to Gym almost everyday. The kids in Ms. Folgelman's class are genuinely happy. We play with them after school and they all like being there.

P.S. 31 is a warm, accepting learning environment. My son has blossomed 10 fold since starting pre-k with Ms. Fogelman. He is now interested in learning to read and is excelling at math. He is excited to leave early for school in the morning and almost always says he has had a great day when I pick him up. When it has been a difficult day we talk about it with his teacher and she makes sure everything is resolved so things turn out better the next day. Overall we are having a great experience at P.S. 31!

I liked PS 31 from the moment I stepped foot into the school. My son had terrible separation anxiety when first starting Pre-K but all of that changed. He now loves his school. Why? Because of his beloved teacher, Ms. Fogelman. This teacher treats each child as though they were her own. Our hearts sing when we are in her presence. The para professional, Ms. Carmela is also a joy. Dedicated, kind and hard working teachers who go above and beyond for their students are what my child has at PS 31. I am grateful every single day. I have seen a big change in my wild, rambunctious child who found coloring boring before starting school. He is now a patient, focused person who is absorbed in his work. The concentration that previously was lavished on Legos and Transformers has now spilled into everything he does... especially projects. Wether done as a family, in a group or on his own, my 4 year old child enjoys learning and immersing himself in school activities. Isn't that marvelous?! He feels a great deal of pride and joy in the stars and compliments he finds written by his teachers on his work. My son is learning at light speed. Each day he surprises me with new information. There are also wonderful ways to be involved as a parent in my child's school. I can come in and teach a lesson on a Fabulous Friday. I can surprise the class as a mystery reader. I've heard other parents talk of feeling like they are a part of a community. Well, I feel as though I am a part of the class. Perhaps I speak too soon. After all, I know only of a pre-K experience; however, I feel a strong affinity to PS 31. It is known as a Blue Ribbon School Of Excellence, which is tremendous! Along with the strong academics (a necessity) I give it a blue ribbon for the kindness, thoughtfulness and comfort it has been for my family. PS- The school now offers recess!

My daughter is in Kindergarten now, her teacher is Ms. Colombo. She's very structured and organized and i love how she pushes the kids to their full potential. When i speak to my friends who have kids in other schools, they all remark "but it's just kindergarten, it's not that serious" but Ms. Colombo makes an extremely valid point - next year there is no one to really "hold their hands" Kids are "thrown" into the real school world, and she prepares them for just that. My only gripe is the kids don't get any recess, and they should have some down time to burn off any extra energy, as they are only 4-5 years old, but other than that - very happen with how it's run

My son is on kindergarten at PS 31. He did pre-k there and we loved it, but this year I have concerns. There are 28 children in his class and the teacher has no assistant. They go from one subject to the next, behind a desk all day long, save for gym two days a week and art one day a week. He has about four pages (30 minutes) of homework each night. I fear that in their focus on high test scores, they aren't putting these little ones' emotional, physical and psychological well-being high enough on their priority list.

Last modified Ps 31 Samuel F Dupont is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.