Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (3 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted February 15, 2016
Ms.Catapano, Ur awesome! Ms.Catapano makes learning super duper fun, and there are no limits to her patience with kids, she is a truly amazing person!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted February 15, 2016
AWESOME, as long as you're a good student, and willing to co-operate! The teachers are also super nice

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted February 15, 2016
They have a highly effective program called MINDFULNESS, it helps kids and teachers relax after a tiring day, and brings out awareness of your/our surroundings.

Posted February 15, 2016
This school helps you with anything, as long as you ask for the help. There are amazing, kind teachers too

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 18, 2015
I just met Mrs. Catapano. My son is doing well, but I wanted to meet her and let her know how much my son enjoys her Social Studies class. She's a rock star. Old school but clearly knows how to teach and the kids love her. She took time to show me her teaching/writing process—some serious skill building, and I can tell it resonates with my son. There's a hidden gem in the basement of MS51.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted November 04, 2015
I am a 8th grader at MS51, and to be honest it was the worst 3 years of my life. The kids are really mean, they will make fun of you for anything! How you look or how you dress, if you don't look a certain way you get picked on. I had only one good math teacher, that was in 7th grade, the other two taught me nothing. I take spanish, but honestly nobody in my class can say a real sentence. I like that we get to go out for lunch. Gym is pretty bad we do the exact same thing every, it gets pretty boring. You don't really get to do labs in science. Overall I can't wait till I graduate and get out.

Posted April 01, 2014
I am currently an 8th grader at this school and its absolutely amazing! MS51 has a good talent program and pushes student to work hard and never give up. If you have a question teachers are always willing to answer and you can come in for zero period or come after school. Everyone is nice to each other and students are in a very safe environment. So if your in 5th grade coming to 6th you should really check this school out!

Posted March 01, 2014
I am a sixth grader at 51, and so far I have been having an amazing time. MOST of the teachers are really friendly and supportive, and the teachers have pushed me to be on the first honor roll. If you are looking for a school that is gifted and talented, and is supportive, then I recommend this school to you.

Posted September 27, 2013
My son is a student at MS51 and he has really thrived academically and also in his talent Chorus. It has been wonderful to see the Choral performances twice a year. One negative is that the school is very large and crowded. The teachers and kids seem to manage well but on Open School Night if your kid is doing well "above 85 on report card" you are discouraged from attending and taking up valuable teacher time. Teachers do respond to emails. The teachers are also available most mornings at 0 period to answer students questions and give help.

Posted June 16, 2013
I am a graduate from PS 321 who is now finishing 6th grade honor roll in MS 51. I love that we get to go out for lunch because I have since the 4th Grade. Not many if none of the elementary and middle schools let students out for lunch. In MS 51 the students and teachers are very friendly and helpful. It is a safe and homely enviroment. If you are looking for a great school which is gifted and talented as well than this is the school for you.

350 5th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11215
Last modified Ms 51 William Alexander is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.