Bad
Good

What makes a great school are the teachers and parents. We are fortunate to have a daughter in this school and a second child beginning pre-school in September. The teachers and Staff are readily available, always responsive and truly care. Parents are encouraged to get involved, and are provided ample opportunities throughout the year. The school not only has a great academic program but amazing extra curricular activities providing students a broad range of experiences. PTA provides additional afterschool classes that range from additional academic support to recreational activities. Our family is lucky to be a part of the PS 58 community.

One of my two children at PS 58 is in the DLP French program and the other is in the regular classroom. As a parent who is in a great position to compare, I feel some of the commentary on this board about the DLP program is off-base and perhaps even a little unfair. From my vantage point, both of my children are getting a solid education from good teachers who genuinely care about their well-being. My family is lucky to be a part of this great school!

Isn't a public school supposed to serve everyone in the community equally? At PS 58, a select few are being offered personal attention in small classes with a unique dual language program while the majority of students are stuffed into classes at maximum capacity with no unique programming. Currently, there are 2 dual language classes on every grade. Dual language class sizes classes start small in K and only get smaller in the upper grades (with only 20+ students). The non-French classes grow and grow to unmanageable levels in the upper grades (with 30+ students). How is this an equitable design?

This school needs to address the inequities between the dual language and the general program. The dual language program enjoys small classes and extra staff while the rest of school is filled beyond capacity. The overall feeling in this school is that the dual language program is the priority.

Great school! We feel lucky to have two kids enrolled in the excellent dual language program, with very dedicated teachers.

I have had two children at PS58 for the last 3 years and I have been nothing but happy with their experience. They are learning all things necessary to propel their education. They are also subject to many amazing in-school programs like Opera, Drama, Orchestra with an instrument for every kid, ballroom dancing, and chess. I speak with other parents from districts outside of the city and the basic diversity in programming and opportunity my children have available to them is far superior. I am thrilled to be able to raise my family in an exciting place and have such a positive experience with the public school system.

My daughter attended kindergarten this year at ps 58. I really wanted to love it--and I tried to love it but unfortunately it was a miserable year that only taught my child to hate school and be afraid of teachers. It's a very classically based system where kids are expected to behave and listen without question. Curiosity is not only not valued--it is punished. There is 20 minutes of free time a day and they are expected to stand in straight lines and not ask any unnecessary questions. My daughter went from loving school to utterly hating it--and, worse, being constantly afraid of getting in trouble. Individual differences are not valued--at best they are tolerated. I expected kindergarten to be about developing a curious mind and exploring the structure of school; I was badly mistaken. This is not a school that values creativity in any way.

Everything is not what it seems, unfortunately politics get in the way. In order to keep the grade you have to ween out the children that are not doing so well, that way the school gets the grade and that equals money. At the end of the day its all about the money....Many unethical practices with this school, how unfortunate.

The Dual Language Program is phenomenal. I can't believe how well my daughter writes in French, all while maintaining a high reading level in English. My Daughter LOVES going to school. She feels a strong bond with the school staff. The Principal has created a strong community within the school. Great after school choices! Parents are involved and feel welcomed. My youngest daughter also loves her patients and caring Pre-K teachers.

The Dual language program is awesome and my daughter can speak, read and write very well in both French and English. The school offers a lot of other programs such as music, arts, drama or chess. We couldn't be happier.

Last modified Ps 58 The Carroll is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.