Ps 95 The Gravesend

Public | PK-8 & ungraded | 962 students

Posted September 4, 2014

I was impressed this morning when I saw that this year the school did not make the kids carry up their heavy, heavy bags of supplies to their classrooms. I always felt it was ridiculous that these little kids, especially in 1st & 2nd grade, had to walk up steps with such heavy marble composition books, among other supplies. This year, the kids were told to leave the bags (with their names & class numbers written on them) and the administration/teachers would take care of carrying the supplies up. What a terrific, yet simple, idea! It makes a world of difference to take that burden away from these little kids who are already nervous and anxious on their first day back to school. Thank you to PS 95 for implementing this idea. It feels good to see them thinking of the kids and coming up with new ideas to make things run smoothly.

Posted September 3, 2014

The experience I had at this school to just register my child was terrible. The staff was so unorganized and no real help to any family there. They put you in the lunchroom/gym which was extremely Hot they had no fans. We were there at 9am like we were told and waited hours to be seen. It hit about 12:30 when we were told to leave and go back at 1:15 or come back the next day by the Assistant principle which was just ridiculous because when we went back we were told to come back the next day! Just horrible and aggravating. I stood up for the families and made sure we were seen and still we couldn't get any one to stay still for a second to answer our questions. I called the school today to find out nothing was being done with her paperwork as things were incomplete which would've never occurred if someone there would have just looked over our papers instead of rushed me out of the main office! It was a very bad first impression of the staff. I hope through the school year there is some kind of difference

Posted August 4, 2014

I am a EXTREMELY PROUD teacher at P.S 95. I have taught at 95 for 5 yrs now. I agree that the school has gone through significant changes but they have been for the success of the school as a whole! I have read through some of the reviews from parents and students and was sad to hear the negative experiences that they have been through. Our school has provided several programs and services for both parents and students to support them in many ways. Many of which the staff has happily and willingly volunteered to support. I hope that our families and students continue to feel proud and excited to be part of the 95 community.Our school has come a LONG way and I am proud to work with an amazing group of people and work each day with outstanding children. I am so happy to call PS 95 my home!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 2, 2014

Great school, rates in this page don't make justice, is a grade A. Is official, and the school staff is well qualified, from the custodians up to the principal, is been a whole experience for good. PTA team is bright, community is very diverse, fun, and for me our kids are the ones who benefit from all this, I'm so proud and happy to be part of this great school.

Posted June 26, 2014

My kids were transferred to this school so i have something to compare with. What can i say... I am extremely pleased my two children have an opportunity to attend PS 95. Very organized and welcoming environment. Everyone from the principal to custodial are very friendly and carrying for children. My daughter's kindergarden teacher Mrs.Ng did an amazing job bringing my daughter to the right lever. Her hard work gave my daughter learning foundation. Thank you for the amazing job. My sons 3rd grade teachers are very supportive and friendly motivating kids to learn. Good structure and curriculum. This school has an amazing Saturday school academy to help children with the test preps. The school is very welcoming and same time very organized. As few parents i was also skeptical after reading the reviews however once my kids started going to this school i saw the difference and the difference is there. Thank you principal and staff keep up your excellent work!

Posted April 30, 2014

I'm a concerned parent requesting additional help for my child in reading to no avail. If your child does not excel on his or her own don't expect additional assistance to be provided. Most of the teachers are friendly and appear engaged for a class not for an individual. If the class gets it fine if the student doesnt , oh well, seems to be the attitude. The school needs real after school programs, TUTORING! And not babysitting till 5pm (NIA). 1st thru 3rd graders should be offered a better opportunity at success by making sure the child grasps the foundation at school. Understands the curriculum before sending the child home with homework he doesn't understand. One needs to understand the basics first. Establish a good foundation before building on top of it. So instead of giving the child tons of homework, commit to making sure the child learns in school with a teacher who's profesion is teaching. One who has studied methods of making a student grasp the information. Homework should be to review what was already learned not for the parents to try and teach a lesson to a child that was supposed to have been taught by a professional.

Posted February 2, 2014

As a former student of this school, I remember my experiences were terrible. I was heavily bullied, (physically, emotionally, verbally, socially, etc) and none of my teachers did anything about it. In fact, they thought I was responsible. Looking back at some old report cards, I saw many grades of "misconduct." Plus, the ESL program was lacking in many ways. School was, in general, very hostile to immigrant children. Fortunately, I transferred to a much better school in 4th grade. It's really strange too. That first year I didn't change any of my behavior or study habits, yet my grades somehow skyrocketed. So if anyone from this school actually reads these comments, PLEASE work on student relations. God knows how I would have turned out if I remained here.

Posted November 2, 2013

I decided that it's time for a better review because, what better review of a school then the from the person who sits there 7-8 hours a day? Let's just say, I am a student here.I've been one for many years, and sadly, this school is losing the great potential it had when I first enrolled.It seems to me that every year, this school gets worse and worse.This includes student behavior, grades, safety (physical fights), and lack of feeling confident with the adults. I find many things in this school that are truly horrid.I truly recommend your child(s) to be registered in another school.It is very unfortunate that the schools own student has to say this.

Posted October 8, 2013

This school is keep on improving. I love the worm welcome faces when I see the staffs. My kids love this school. Hope they will keep their good work and make this school the best school in the district.

Posted May 11, 2013

My kids have great teachers at PS 95. The principal is fair. Most of the parents are working parents and some of them like to complain a lot. Their attitudes are horrible. I am a parent too. I can't stand some of the parents' attitudes toward the teachers and the principles.

Posted May 10, 2013

I canot rate this school as of yet,,searching for a school for my grandson to start next year 5th grade

Posted March 13, 2013

SO MANY COMPLAINTS yet I never see anyone at the PTA meetings. I'm a mom of 2 in P.S 95. Parents who really care will put in work to be involved in this school. So many DANGEROUS and terrible Brooklyn schools, if you think, this one has some great potential. AS FOR THE SURVEY, NO ONE bullied me to fill it out. It was handed to me and I mailed it out anonymously from the privacy of my home. This is New York City where you need to be strong to make it. Think. This is a school of 1,000 students. Also, N.Y.S exams are far more challenging than other states. Try to be your own child's private tutor. There is an App on Ipads to gain insight on these exams.

Posted February 27, 2013

I would say that it's a very promising school, with lots of potentials. I have 3 kids and they all go to this school. The teachers are great and my kids love to go to school everyday. My 7th grader is an excellent student, got a 4 in state math test and a 3 for ELA because of this school. Well, I would say that the principal and some people in the administration are not that friendly, but aside from that this is a great school.

Posted February 26, 2013

There has been many changes in the school. Some good, some bad. The Principal is a woman of two faces. You get the all sweet and smiles face when you agree with her and when you don't you get ignored. Last I checked grown adults are allowed to have difference of opinions. If she acts this way what the heck is she teaching my child? The school has some really amazing teachers but administration has left a bad taste in my mouth. It is not a B school as listed its really a C school but once again the parents were bullied to only write positive things on the parent survey. Those survey's should be sent directly to the parents at home not through the school. They hold on to them until Parent-Teacher conferences and pressure you (bully) to fill out the survey in the auditorium right in front of them. Seriously how anonymous is that?

Posted January 23, 2013

I am actually a step parent to 2 educationally challenged children that attend this school. I personally have not been impressed with anything the school has done since my step children started attending in KG. I also do not believe both children are just bad students I am beginning to believe they're the product of bad teaching. I agree with many of the parents about the inappropriate behavior/dress of the staff...the rudeness and lack of respect to the parents...the consistent passing of a child that is continually failing and below standard...the list goes on. My husband and I live in NJ in a town with a very fine school system. Unfortunately I am not the "parent" as I would have immediately removed them from that school 2 years ago. As a thirteysomething career oriented female with an advanced degree I am concerned about what will happen to my step children as a result of remaining in this environment and particularly this school. Their study habits, discipline and total mindset with regards to anything associated with education is completely poor. They do not suffer from behavior problems and tend to be more of the shy type.

Posted October 14, 2012

I just want to say that this school is absolutely terrible. I am a former student and it was a grueling experience. The other students are uncontrollable and the faculty couldn't care less about you. Just a disappointing school.

Posted October 3, 2012

The school discriminates against kids of immigrant parents It is a wasted year if your are in the 4th grade sigma. The teacher doesn't teach the kids anything just gave them inappropriate reading material. This school picks on only the kids that she knows their parents will not fight back. This teachers bully the kids and embarrass them in front of the other kids. This school doesn't teach your kid anything. If you do not get a private tutor you will fail every state wide test. I wish my kid never went to this school. Please parents do not send your kids to this school. This is not a gifted school, but the complete opposite of it. I am a parent who is not just writing this because I have my own personal grudge but because I want to warn all the other parents that your kid will not get a proper education in this school.

Posted August 12, 2012

can there be a 0 how can a school be so incompident to not know a child passed the math test not just one child but lots of them this school has the worst state wide test results i am disgusted they need to do something to improve this school and fast

Posted June 22, 2012

OMG!! What a disgrace of a school building, my child will not be returning to this unorganized environment in the fall. Today I went to pick up my child on the Ave U dismissal location, the parents were right up against the doors in the thunderstorm- what a scene!!!! The adults were pushing and literally on top of me. I was so scared for my child and the children exiting the building. Then the doors were shut in our faces due to this uncontrolling chaos. ADMINISTRATION WAS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND. Teachers were trying to resolve the crisis.

Posted June 7, 2012

You took the words right out of my mouth! I'm also a working parent of 2 children in the school & can't take off all these days in June. I can't go to the Senior Awards since I'm already taking off for 3 other days in June for school activities, my younger child's trip, & graduation. Senior Awards in other junior highs are sometimes (always?) held in the evening. It even adds to the drama & gives it a "grown-up" atmosphere which is desperately lacking at 95. There is practically nothing that makes this junior high stand out. It's as if we kept our kids in an elementary school and they missed out on growing & maturing in a junior high setting. Where were the trips? The night-time plays and performances? On top of that, there is a lack of professionalism in manner (smoking outside & cursing when kids can hear you) & dress code in some of the teachers & staff. It's like they're dressed to go out to a club. Aren't they supposed to be role models for our children? How is that possible when one 5th grade teacher wears tight tops & knee-high high heeled boots? Inappropriate and unprofessional. I want more for my children.I have 3 other kids and I think they should go to another school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

113 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

116 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

119 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

122 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2014.

115 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

118 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 29% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 38% in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 29% in 2014.

51 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 33% in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 36% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 22% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "C" for the elementary and middle school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 47%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 755 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.2

8.3

7.5

7.2

9.0

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.8

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.5

7.2

8.8

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.2

Teachers6897%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• MS. JANET NDZIBAH

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

345 Van Sicklen St