Brooklyn, NY

Posted September 04, 2014
I was impressed this morning when I saw that this year the school did not make the kids carry up their heavy, heavy bags of supplies to their classrooms. I always felt it was ridiculous that these little kids, especially in 1st & 2nd grade, had to walk up steps with such heavy marble composition books, among other supplies. This year, the kids were told to leave the bags (with their names & class numbers written on them) and the administration/teachers would take care of carrying the supplies up. What a terrific, yet simple, idea! It makes a world of difference to take that burden away from these little kids who are already nervous and anxious on their first day back to school. Thank you to PS 95 for implementing this idea. It feels good to see them thinking of the kids and coming up with new ideas to make things run smoothly.

Ps 95 The Gravesend 1

Posted September 03, 2014
The experience I had at this school to just register my child was terrible. The staff was so unorganized and no real help to any family there. They put you in the lunchroom/gym which was extremely Hot they had no fans. We were there at 9am like we were told and waited hours to be seen. It hit about 12:30 when we were told to leave and go back at 1:15 or come back the next day by the Assistant principle which was just ridiculous because when we went back we were told to come back the next day! Just horrible and aggravating. I stood up for the families and made sure we were seen and still we couldn't get any one to stay still for a second to answer our questions. I called the school today to find out nothing was being done with her paperwork as things were incomplete which would've never occurred if someone there would have just looked over our papers instead of rushed me out of the main office! It was a very bad first impression of the staff. I hope through the school year there is some kind of difference

Posted August 04, 2014
I am a EXTREMELY PROUD teacher at P.S 95. I have taught at 95 for 5 yrs now. I agree that the school has gone through significant changes but they have been for the success of the school as a whole! I have read through some of the reviews from parents and students and was sad to hear the negative experiences that they have been through. Our school has provided several programs and services for both parents and students to support them in many ways. Many of which the staff has happily and willingly volunteered to support. I hope that our families and students continue to feel proud and excited to be part of the 95 community.Our school has come a LONG way and I am proud to work with an amazing group of people and work each day with outstanding children. I am so happy to call PS 95 my home!

Posted July 02, 2014
Great school, rates in this page don't make justice, is a grade A. Is official, and the school staff is well qualified, from the custodians up to the principal, is been a whole experience for good. PTA team is bright, community is very diverse, fun, and for me our kids are the ones who benefit from all this, I'm so proud and happy to be part of this great school.

Posted June 26, 2014
My kids were transferred to this school so i have something to compare with. What can i say... I am extremely pleased my two children have an opportunity to attend PS 95. Very organized and welcoming environment. Everyone from the principal to custodial are very friendly and carrying for children. My daughter's kindergarden teacher Mrs.Ng did an amazing job bringing my daughter to the right lever. Her hard work gave my daughter learning foundation. Thank you for the amazing job. My sons 3rd grade teachers are very supportive and friendly motivating kids to learn. Good structure and curriculum. This school has an amazing Saturday school academy to help children with the test preps. The school is very welcoming and same time very organized. As few parents i was also skeptical after reading the reviews however once my kids started going to this school i saw the difference and the difference is there. Thank you principal and staff keep up your excellent work!

Ps 95 The Gravesend 2

Posted April 30, 2014
I'm a concerned parent requesting additional help for my child in reading to no avail. If your child does not excel on his or her own don't expect additional assistance to be provided. Most of the teachers are friendly and appear engaged for a class not for an individual. If the class gets it fine if the student doesnt , oh well, seems to be the attitude. The school needs real after school programs, TUTORING! And not babysitting till 5pm (NIA). 1st thru 3rd graders should be offered a better opportunity at success by making sure the child grasps the foundation at school. Understands the curriculum before sending the child home with homework he doesn't understand. One needs to understand the basics first. Establish a good foundation before building on top of it. So instead of giving the child tons of homework, commit to making sure the child learns in school with a teacher who's profesion is teaching. One who has studied methods of making a student grasp the information. Homework should be to review what was already learned not for the parents to try and teach a lesson to a child that was supposed to have been taught by a professional.

Ps 95 The Gravesend 1

Posted February 02, 2014
As a former student of this school, I remember my experiences were terrible. I was heavily bullied, (physically, emotionally, verbally, socially, etc) and none of my teachers did anything about it. In fact, they thought I was responsible. Looking back at some old report cards, I saw many grades of "misconduct." Plus, the ESL program was lacking in many ways. School was, in general, very hostile to immigrant children. Fortunately, I transferred to a much better school in 4th grade. It's really strange too. That first year I didn't change any of my behavior or study habits, yet my grades somehow skyrocketed. So if anyone from this school actually reads these comments, PLEASE work on student relations. God knows how I would have turned out if I remained here.

Ps 95 The Gravesend 2

Posted November 02, 2013
I decided that it's time for a better review because, what better review of a school then the from the person who sits there 7-8 hours a day? Let's just say, I am a student here.I've been one for many years, and sadly, this school is losing the great potential it had when I first enrolled.It seems to me that every year, this school gets worse and worse.This includes student behavior, grades, safety (physical fights), and lack of feeling confident with the adults. I find many things in this school that are truly horrid.I truly recommend your child(s) to be registered in another school.It is very unfortunate that the schools own student has to say this.

Ps 95 The Gravesend 4

Posted October 08, 2013
This school is keep on improving. I love the worm welcome faces when I see the staffs. My kids love this school. Hope they will keep their good work and make this school the best school in the district.

Ps 95 The Gravesend 4

Posted May 11, 2013
My kids have great teachers at PS 95. The principal is fair. Most of the parents are working parents and some of them like to complain a lot. Their attitudes are horrible. I am a parent too. I can't stand some of the parents' attitudes toward the teachers and the principles.

Ps 95 The Gravesend
345 Van Sicklen Street, Brooklyn, NY  11223
Last modified Ps 95 The Gravesend is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 95 The Gravesend Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 57 reviews. Top