Posted April 02, 2014
Love this school. The quality of the teachers; the leadership that the teachers, staff, and the principal bring to the school; the involvement of the parents; and knowledge and fun the kids bring home from school. This school is absolutely amazing.

Posted August 22, 2013
When your kid loves going to school everyday, you know the school is doing something right. The teachers are wonderful and is apparent they love their job and the children they educate. The principal and vice principal are highly visible and encourage suggestions to help better the school. The parent involvement is outstanding. Many wonderful programs and activities have been made possible by the parents and community. We love this school! We take pride in being part of it!

Posted July 31, 2013
We have been at 107 for 5 years now and couldn't be happier. While the schools curriculum is strictly traditional core stuff, every effort is made to personalize my child's educational experience. Parent involvement is extremely high and the PTA is strong both by involvement and financially. And while we dearly miss Ms. Holton the new principal seems engaged and able to deal with the challenges inherent in running an urban school within the limits imposed by NYCDOE, et al. Some years ago, and under the leadership of Cynthia Holton, 107 used to be called the little engine that could...No more the little engine as the school is at max capacity - relative to the neighboring schools 107 remains smallish at around 500 kids. 107 has earned its reputation as a solid institution of elementary learning. Keep up the good work!

Posted July 11, 2013
We couldn't be happier with PS 107. Honestly, the school community is incredible, meaning the collaborative network of teachers, administration, staff, students, parents and neighbors. Just walking the kids to school in the mornings, it has such a great feel. Our kids have both thrived here. Parent involvement is not only encouraged but is somewhat required, which is probably why the community is as tightly-knit as it is. The principal is about to start her third year, and has really shifted a lot of attention toward math (which tends to suffer in public schools because so much energy is given to reading/writing). If you don't live IN the zone for this school, don't even apply for it: the school is overcrowded and the principal does not admit students who are not in the zone, even if they have siblings in the school already. The lunches are NOT the horrible cheese sticks/cheeseburgers/french fries fare, but are amazing. My kids have roasted chicken and chic peas on Tuesdays, for example. The website is great, I check it regularly. It will be sad someday to no longer be a part of this special place. Downside: HUGE class sizes (but good luck getting away from that in NY)

Posted June 08, 2012
As a parent of 2 children attending PS107, I have been pleased with the quality of the curriculum, generally open dialogue between the school administration and parents and the focus to improve the childrens' learning experience. Following the change in leadership last year, I would say the transition has been seamless and the selection process which involved the PTA was a key driver in finding the right people. Teacher quality has been satisfactory although I would say is inconsistent across grade levels. I think the caliber of the 1st grade teachers and curriculum can be improved after witnessing my eldest child complete 2nd grade. But overall, I think the parent involvement and collaboration is ultimately what gives PS107 the high marks I have ascribed.

Posted October 17, 2011
My son was new to the school last year for the 2nd grade, he loves the school. The PTA can be a bit much but they do a lot for the school, they seem to control the administration. I still feel even with that issue its a wonderful school where I have seen my son grow intellectually, something I think we wouldn't had gotten at his last school.

Ps 107 John W Kimball 4

Posted October 06, 2011
Those considering sending their children to PS107 should be aware that all grades will be facing very large class sizes in the coming years. There are already 30 children in third grade classes this year and next year, this will happen to first grade due to the addition of another Kindergarten class this year. Since a lot of young families have moved into this school zone in recent years, the trend is expected to worsen with waitlists for zoned children and more crowded classrooms. The DOE s priority seems to be to get the kids into their zoned school regardless of class size or facilities. They will ask the principal to give up the science lab, computer room and possibly the lovely new art/library space to create more classrooms. This would be such a shame and a devastating loss, given all the efforts put in by parents and the outgoing administration.

Ps 107 John W Kimball 1

Posted September 03, 2011
This school is run by the parents (and trust me when I say, they aren't the kind and accepting folks you would want directing your child's development). Everybody knows everyone's business and they aren't afraid to share it over coffee. I wish it could always be a "good" thing that parents are involved. The parents at PS 107 are often controlling, over-bearing, elitist and intolerant (at least those that have enough time on their hands to live in the school as they seem to do). I understand that the administration will be completely new in 2011--I hope it has the ability to embrace the qualities of leadership and common sense that have been so very absent in the the past. If your child has any kind of special needs at all--please consider any other school. The Special Education Department is hopeless when it comes to knowing what to do to help any child in need. My son's IEP contained so many errors and PS 107 made their best effort to make me feel like it was either something they could not fix (spelling) or my fault (wanting his accommodations clearly stated on the IEP). This is just unacceptable. Obviously everyone will have a different experience. Good luck.

Posted June 23, 2011
Great teachers, incredible administration and very high parent involvement make this in my opinion one of the best schools in Brooklyn. My son had attend another PS in Brooklyn and this school is light years ahead the school he came from. I know of parents who have taken their kids out of private school to send them to PS 107. Kudos to the teachers and the PTA.

Posted June 23, 2011
P.S. 107 is located in a nice, residential area of Park Slope that is very children friendly. The school allows students to learn at different speeds and to excel in different areas, from academics, to music, to sports. The playgrounds in the school courtyards are ample by New York standards and allows the kids to get exercise while having fun running around with their peers. It has been written that the human brain can absorb more information after a good workout than not having worked out.. Keep that in mind when assessing which public schools your child should attend.

Ps 107 John W Kimball
1301 8th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11215
(718) 499-2054
Last modified Ps 107 John W Kimball is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 107 John W Kimball Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top