Ps 110 The Monitor

Public | PK-5 & ungraded | 359 students

We are best known for educating the whole child.

Posted November 6, 2013

This will be my son's 4th year. Pros: Italian starting inPK, piano, great music program, lots of humanities and art, community focused, family atmosphere, great French teachers and classes. Cons: old guard versus new interlopers is real and aggressive. hard to implement changes - excuses being laws, rules, not wanting to alienate some families; feels like adverse to change. school is very poor and PTA fundraising is minimal. minimal after school activities; special programs are won through grants. school is in dire need of interior renovation. lighting is terrible, walls are water stained. But again, no money. science program is more like a stop-gap measure that parents are told to believe is a great solution since losing science teacher. Any parent knows it can't compare to an actual science prof. This school has been making sacrifices on top of sacrifices to try to keep their education quality. They work hard at providing top quality education with both hands tied behind their backs, smiles on their faces. They teach respect, responsibility, and success. But I wouldn't be surprised if the principles cry themselves to sleep at night due to how many limitations are put on them.

Posted October 27, 2013

My son has been going to PS 110 for the past 3 years. We could not be happier! The admin staff, the teachers, the parents work together to make this gem of a school even better everyday. We feel so blessed. The kids learn in a loving environment. They have recess everyday. They learn to enjoy learning without being pushed too hard. That is the best! My son is in the second grade of the French program at PS 110 and he is skipping to school everyday.

Posted September 11, 2013

PS 110 Rocks as my granddaughters say. They love the teachers they have or had. Education of course it there number 1 priority and they insure all the children are getting exactly what they need and if they need extra help they get it. They have a great arts program, (music, dance, language etc), the kids love this. And personally I love it also. I feel it helps a child love their school even more. So future parents out their who are reading this. PS 110 is where you want to send your children.

Posted September 11, 2013

Love PS110!! We are in our 4th year and could not ask for more. Our child is learning French, which is such a privilage. Through the guidence of the (extremely supportive and motivated) staff she is learning about (not just math, science, reading but) how to be a person who engages, asks questions and is involved. Feel lucky everyday that we found PS110.

Posted September 10, 2013

This is my daughter's 2nd year at PS 110 and she loves it!!! She is currently in 1st grade and has become a very proficient reader. She truly loves going to school. I've spoken with a few parents/children who attend schools with much higher test scores (in the neighborhood) and they're simply not happy. I like that the staff at PS 110 really look to foster a well rounded education. In fact, part of the schools core curriculum is "The 7 Habits (of highly effective people)." My 5 year old has come home discussing "being proactive, thinking with the end in mind, and thinking win/win." She has learned to think critically and to reason. She had even written me a persuasive letter before she began 1st grade!!! That being said, I wish the school would do a better job of challenging the more advanced students. My child is very motivated to learn in school and less motived to work at home. I would prefer to work closer with the staff to find ways to push her to her full potential.

Posted October 25, 2012

Prospective parent, your search has just ended. PS 110 is the BEST school in the neighborhood. It is what a school should be, a place where your child learns about herself, others and the world in a supportive and nurturing environment. It is not through test prep and silent lunches as I heard a lot of schools implement. It is done through a knowledgeable and caring leadership, through experienced and loving teachers and dedicated staff. Ms. Cano Amato, the principle, is steering the school away from test prep and toward self-discovery through art and music and foreign languages. My daughter in PreK has separate instruction in music, Italian and computers. The opportunities for development only increase with grades. I observe every day just how much she is learning at school, and it is not only the ABCs and songs and poems. She is growing into an independent, responsible, respectful and happy member of a community because of all the interactions she has had with her new school friends and the guidance she has received from her teachers and school staff. I urge you to visit the school and to at least check out their website. It is quite amazing what one public school can offer.

Posted October 21, 2012

We LOVE this school. When we started looking at schools 4 years ago, I would repeatedly hear from other parents abut their various schools "Well, no one really LOVES their school." But my family truly loves PS110. The kids are getting an incredible education, in a racially and economically balanced setting. The administration is welcoming and supportive. There is strong sense of community, with a progressive "can do" attitude and genuine warmth. The building and site are incredible; the kids have space to move around and beautiful spacious McGolrick park is regularly used as a classroom so the kids are in touch with nature.

Posted October 14, 2012

Good school in greenpiont.Student there back in the 1970s.Great place to learn for preparing to go to junior high school.

Posted November 19, 2011

My son is currently in the French dual language Kindergarten class and he loves school. He wasn't exposed to French prior to this year, but he's learning so quickly due to the active teaching strategies. His teacher plays the guitar and flute while the students sing French songs, they engage in movement activities similar to 'Simon says', and do a lot of art making. Yesterday the class went across the street to McGolrick Park to collect leaves and then labeled them by color in French. The administration at PS 110 creates a wonderful sense of community. They are incredibly welcoming to parent involvement. The Principal and Assistant Principal are visible every day at drop off and pick up and know every child's name. The staff works continually to secure partnerships for the school so that all students engage in various arts residencies. I'm so grateful to be a part of this thriving school!

Posted February 8, 2011

We love PS 110. The teachers and administration are very friendly and open to parent input and participation. The schools programs are wonderful. The music teacher is very enthusiastic. By the time students matriculate they will have had instruction in at least three different instruments. They also have science and computer labs and a brand new library (funded by one of the many grants that the teachers and administration actively pursue). Next year we believe that they will be offering a duel language program (french/english). They have two outdoor playgrounds, an indoor gym and they utilize the park across the street for many activities year round. Our son is in pre K and his class seems to be a nice balance between structure and "letting the students be kids".

Posted April 22, 2010

I love the community feel when I am at any function. The projects that the students are required to do show how learning is valued and the focus is on developing well rounded students.

Posted April 21, 2010

PS 110 is a place where my child is safe, able to develop intellectually and can enjoy every moment of every day.

Posted April 21, 2010

Great school, great teachers, safe and family oriented environment that all together enriches the kids educationally and socially!

Posted April 21, 2010

PS 110 really focus on the kids education and learning ability. My son is in kindergarten and he is already reading books and he loves math and science and his handwriting, oh my god is unbelievable, he also loves all his teachers. PS 110 makes you feel like you are part of their family, like family night is awesome I got to meet a lot of parents. I am so happy I enroll my son to this school. I know my son is safe and very happy and that makes me very happy.

Posted April 21, 2010

PS 110 is a great school. The teachers and especially the principal is very attentive to their student. Even though the school is not our zone school the commute is well worth the education he is receiving. I'm very happy and satisfied with PS 110.

Posted April 21, 2010

PS 110 is any parents dream school. It embodies all of the great aspects of a great learning institution. PS 110 allows the children to learn in a setting that is both fun and challenging.

Posted April 21, 2010

My son treats PS 110 as his second home. He feels welcome and cared for. He goes to school with enthusiasm every single day.

Posted April 21, 2010

PS110 is a great school where you know every child's name. Each child becomes one of your 'kids' and you really want them to succeed in school and in life. Memories last a lifetime.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 6, 2009

Our school, PS 110, places a strong emphasis on the arts. Living in New York City does not mean every child gets to go to museums and performances. PS 110 took my son to the Museum of Modern Art today he came home talking about Van Gough's Starry Night. They have expanded the school to be handicap accessible teaching tolerance and respecting unique strengths in every person to the children. Last year my son helped design the new playground, and the school library was expanded. A great afterschool program rewarded my son's positive behavior with a trip to see the Russian Circus touring here in New York. When people speak of inner city schools it is usually with distain this is so far from the truth. My husband and I moved back to New York City for the expressed purpose of having our son exposed to all the cultural opportunities in New York City and to grow up respecting the diverse backgrounds of Americans. New Yorkers embrace their cultural identities taking pride in their heritage. My son is learning to respect his ancestery, and appreciate his friends strengths developed through positive self image. PS 110 encourages the students to grow individually and collectively. I was raised in Iowa where the people pride themselves on having one of the best educational systems. I joke saying that it all there is to do in Iowa. New York City has a later cut off date for students so my October birthday boy skipped kindergarten, and went straight to first grade. At first I was nervous, I read to Dylan a lot growing up, but he was not reading independently and had not mastered sight words yet. By the end of first grade Dylan was reading at the highest reading level, and was student of the month. He has developed lasting friendships which included amazing teachers. Ms. Fazio is every first graders dream teacher we meet up in the neighborhood when she walks her dog. Ms. Pezzella cracked down in second grade on spelling my son loves and respects her. When I had concerns about where my son was at with his studies Ms. Pezella actively communicated with me so Dylan could receive more challenging academic levels. Third grade, this year, has brought Ms. McCarthy who responds to parental questions with beautifully painted note cards. She is just as amazing as the two previous teachers. Dylan gets excited when he can speak with past teachers and faculty in the school hallways. He brings extra birthday treat bags in for his past teachers. I am so impressed by PS 110. It exceeds my wildest hopes and expectations. The principal is a lovely woman who works next to us planting flowers, and raking leaves during 'It's My Park Day', but also has a strong presence and will to advocate for the school and it's students. The school over looks beautiful McGolrick Park. I never experienced school like this in Iowa. My son studied with Mark Morris's Dance Company. I studied acting at New York University which is where I learned about Mark Morris at the age of 19, but never was able to study with them let alone at the age of 6 and 7. PS 110 still lets kids be kids by having recess. Hard scholarly work is rewarded by chances to play and be kids while integrating cultural pride and artistic spirit. Hooray for PS 110!

Posted November 2, 2009

Actually this is the same school I attended when I was younger. The faces are all familiar; it is easy to speak with the principal or assistant principal for any questions or problems you may have. They are constantly putting events together to get the parents, teachers and students involved with the community, via the PTA office, which is constantly keeping parents updated with letters or emails. My girls love this school and brag about all the activities they get to do.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

34 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

34 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

41 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

41 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2014.

44 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

43 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "C" for the elementary school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 65%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Italian
Spanish
Polish, Lithuanian
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • ASCD Educating the Whole Child Award (2011)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Health & athletics

• Nurse(s)
Clubs
School leaders, update and verify information here.
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 312 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.0

8.8

8.4

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.8

8.5

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

8.9

8.5

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.2

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents28493%
Teachers28100%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • MS. ANNA CANO AMATO
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Is there an application process?

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Polish, Lithuanian
  • Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Creative writing
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
  • Chaperone school trips