Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

We are very happy with our PS 110 experience so far. We find the school environment to be warm and parental involvement to be high and engaged. While a lot is asked of our children in this environment(dual language in a public school setting) with class size and student to teacher ratio the kids are happy and well cared for. We are halfway through the first year and my son is both learning to read in English and getting better and more confident in his basic French. The community of parents is welcoming and the PTA is well organized. The school administration is open to trying new things and getting creative with resources. I look forward to watching my child grow and learn here as well as getting involved as an active member of the PTA.

My rating is for the Pre-K program specifically as that is what we have experience with. We picked this school due to its focus on science, music and language, hoping for a progressive environment. That is not what we experienced at 110. We found the school very traditional and old fashioned, heavy on "behaving" and "being good". The curriculum is fine, they read and do art projects, but we have heard of no science activities. Maybe the focus on these step up in K but we had STEM, music and Spanish classes in our last year of playschool and it seems such a shame to drop the ball on that. The emphasis also seems to be heavily on completing projects correctly rather than creatively which I find so sad at age 4! They should be learning by play. On top of this I have been absolutely shocked at the rudeness and aggressive attitude of the Principle and the ladies in the office. Safe to say we wont be returning here for Kindergarten, thankfully there are other, much better schools in the neighborhood. 110 does seem to have a great PTA system, so it has that going for it. Some people do love it for their children so I think it just depends on your child and the teacher you happen to get. I would not recommend it though.

PS110 The Monitor Street is simply amazing so I strongly disagree with this rating. 5 of 10? This school offer so many different enrichment programs than any other school in neighborhood. During the whole year they provide music classes (piano or guitar), art, Italian, computer classes, gym plus full spectrum of Art Residencies (flamenco, drumming, dance, theater in addition to the whole year program). The school's teachers and principal are the most committed teachers I have ever met. plus French Dual Language program (4th year), "Leader in Me" - program for leaders (3rd year), yoga everyday in classes, fitness club for kids, brand new dance studio and coming (hopefully this year) - green house where the kids can study Plant Kingdom. Probably I did not mention all the benefits you child could have if you enroll you little one for this school but as a concern parent - I STRONGLY recommend this school. Kathy Niewiadomska-Wong

This will be my son's 4th year. Pros: Italian starting inPK, piano, great music program, lots of humanities and art, community focused, family atmosphere, great French teachers and classes. Cons: old guard versus new interlopers is real and aggressive. hard to implement changes - excuses being laws, rules, not wanting to alienate some families; feels like adverse to change. school is very poor and PTA fundraising is minimal. minimal after school activities; special programs are won through grants. school is in dire need of interior renovation. lighting is terrible, walls are water stained. But again, no money. science program is more like a stop-gap measure that parents are told to believe is a great solution since losing science teacher. Any parent knows it can't compare to an actual science prof. This school has been making sacrifices on top of sacrifices to try to keep their education quality. They work hard at providing top quality education with both hands tied behind their backs, smiles on their faces. They teach respect, responsibility, and success. But I wouldn't be surprised if the principles cry themselves to sleep at night due to how many limitations are put on them.

My son has been going to PS 110 for the past 3 years. We could not be happier! The admin staff, the teachers, the parents work together to make this gem of a school even better everyday. We feel so blessed. The kids learn in a loving environment. They have recess everyday. They learn to enjoy learning without being pushed too hard. That is the best! My son is in the second grade of the French program at PS 110 and he is skipping to school everyday.

PS 110 Rocks as my granddaughters say. They love the teachers they have or had. Education of course it there number 1 priority and they insure all the children are getting exactly what they need and if they need extra help they get it. They have a great arts program, (music, dance, language etc), the kids love this. And personally I love it also. I feel it helps a child love their school even more. So future parents out their who are reading this. PS 110 is where you want to send your children.

Love PS110!! We are in our 4th year and could not ask for more. Our child is learning French, which is such a privilage. Through the guidence of the (extremely supportive and motivated) staff she is learning about (not just math, science, reading but) how to be a person who engages, asks questions and is involved. Feel lucky everyday that we found PS110.

This is my daughter's 2nd year at PS 110 and she loves it!!! She is currently in 1st grade and has become a very proficient reader. She truly loves going to school. I've spoken with a few parents/children who attend schools with much higher test scores (in the neighborhood) and they're simply not happy. I like that the staff at PS 110 really look to foster a well rounded education. In fact, part of the schools core curriculum is "The 7 Habits (of highly effective people)." My 5 year old has come home discussing "being proactive, thinking with the end in mind, and thinking win/win." She has learned to think critically and to reason. She had even written me a persuasive letter before she began 1st grade!!! That being said, I wish the school would do a better job of challenging the more advanced students. My child is very motivated to learn in school and less motived to work at home. I would prefer to work closer with the staff to find ways to push her to her full potential.

Prospective parent, your search has just ended. PS 110 is the BEST school in the neighborhood. It is what a school should be, a place where your child learns about herself, others and the world in a supportive and nurturing environment. It is not through test prep and silent lunches as I heard a lot of schools implement. It is done through a knowledgeable and caring leadership, through experienced and loving teachers and dedicated staff. Ms. Cano Amato, the principle, is steering the school away from test prep and toward self-discovery through art and music and foreign languages. My daughter in PreK has separate instruction in music, Italian and computers. The opportunities for development only increase with grades. I observe every day just how much she is learning at school, and it is not only the ABCs and songs and poems. She is growing into an independent, responsible, respectful and happy member of a community because of all the interactions she has had with her new school friends and the guidance she has received from her teachers and school staff. I urge you to visit the school and to at least check out their website. It is quite amazing what one public school can offer.

We LOVE this school. When we started looking at schools 4 years ago, I would repeatedly hear from other parents abut their various schools "Well, no one really LOVES their school." But my family truly loves PS110. The kids are getting an incredible education, in a racially and economically balanced setting. The administration is welcoming and supportive. There is strong sense of community, with a progressive "can do" attitude and genuine warmth. The building and site are incredible; the kids have space to move around and beautiful spacious McGolrick park is regularly used as a classroom so the kids are in touch with nature.

Last modified Ps 110 The Monitor is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.