Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They take the necessary time to explain the work if a child is having a difficult time understanding the work.

Amount of homework: Agree

I find they don't overwhelm the student with homework, they give just enough to keep the class work on there minds and engaged

As a parent of 2 children which attend P.S.114 Ryder Elementary, I find they are very professional and meet not only my children's but all of the students needs. Academically I must say OUTSTANDING!!! Job well done.

I was a bit apprehensive about sending my child to this school but I am glad that I did. So far this is his second year there and all is well. The principal is excellent; always trying to get the parents involved in the school and child's education. The teachers are well trained and communicate with the parents often. There are progress reports monthly so there is no way you as a parent would not know how your child is doing when the report card comes. When most NYC schools ignored the new common core standards; last fall the Principal Smith implemented these standards at PS 114. The students were more prepared than most for the new exams this past spring. This school is truly again the pride of Canarsie.

I am very proud of Principal Smith and the great job he is doing to make the school a better place for students and teachers. The great effort they have made to ensure the performance of the students are up to standard.

The school has improved in many aspects appearance(interior) more assemblies, teachers care more and the people working within the school do care about the students.One MAJOR FAULT I FIND IN THE SCHOOL is that there is no handicap entry; therefore mothers with strollers(like myself) had to leave their babies outside (RAIN OR SHINE) BECAUSE THEY DO NOT ALLOW K-2 grade to come out to parents or even make an exception for those particuar individuals. I woud usualy have to ask strangers to watch my babies or if i caught the security guard outside i would ask her to lend and eye out for me. THIS MUST BE WORKED ON.Luckily y child is entering the 3rd grade but i am concerned for other parents that wil end up in y predicament.

Every one want to blame the principal & the teachers for their children lack of this or that how about you as a parent or grandparent take an active role in your children education. The teachers could only do what the school board allow them to do. How about checking on your area representative and letting him or her know what the school needs. My child attended the chartered school next door and what they did was called parents for everything a child did or didn't do. I have no problem with communication with teachers or principal because I reach out to them.

Please DON"T send your child to this school. I was forced to have my son here because it was our "ZONE" school. Some staff members are very pleasant especially the Principal, however the majority of teachers and security just don't care about the success and safety of the children. On several occasions because of unforeseen emergencies where I could not get to my child on time he was left in the park because once a child is dismissed they CANNOT be let back into the building. Canarsie is not a bad neighborhood but anything could happen at anytime. Also, the amount of books I have to buy to make up for the little to no homework every night. Of course you will find a handful of caring Human Beings within those walls but not enough are Teachers or Security. Overall I see the Principal trying to make a change, but he can't be the only one willing to make the change. PLEASE send your child somewhere else.

We've been hearing great things about Ravens School, 1102 East 92nd. Found out they just implemented technology classes and Montessori for the nursery school and pre-k. The new staff and leadership is definately needed for Canarsie.

Good Education, finding ideas, good selection, quality, performance, encrease, very informative, looking for more information

Last modified Ps 114 Ryder Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.