Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I recently had to remove my child from the city gifted and talented program at Ps 115 for the following reasons: 1) The school has spiraled downward over the pass two years. 2) The teachers with the exception of a few are very lax. 3) The curriculum is dumb down even in the G&T classes. 4) The classrooms are overcrowded and the climate is not conducive to learning. My child's 2nd grade class had 34 student to 1 teacher. 5) bullying is the order of the day. 6) Administration lacks respect for parents and teachers are verbally and physically abusive to students. 7) The bathrooms are generally filthy

The Administration is busy, organized, and involved with students and staff. The teachers are committed, goal oriented and ambitious when it comes to the students and curriculum. I also love that the diverse backgrounds gives our students an opportunity to learn from different perspectives. It makes me as a parent want to be supportive and proactive to ensure the success of my child and the teachers. The support staff are caring and are partners in the learning experience. The approach to the whole child framework exist at this school, I'm happy that they are striving for this kind of excellence. I can't imagine it is easy and I'm sure it's not. In my opinion this school is high functioning on all levels and as a parent that is what I want for my child's experience "a chance at fair and quality education. As a former teacher myself I am glad to observe at this school all these elements functioning to make this school great for our community. Since my child is in 1st grade I have time to observe more but I'm encouraged with the leadership that exist from principal BORGHESE to the PTA (GRANNY CAMPBELL) Team no matter the issue everyone is working for the greater good for our children and that is half the battle. Keeping that in mind I feel confident that my child and all the children can thrive and grow as learners and with that Foundation that is a standard I can live with, work with and trust and cooperate with.

This school is overcrowded and poorly instructed! my oldest is in a class with 34 other kids.(4th grade) I am very grateful for her teacher who would always make time to answer any of my concerns. But there were several trouble makers in her class and it would affect all the students in her class including my daughter. There is no space to walk around in the class.The desk are packed together so tight they have to walk over there chairs to move around. My youngest daughter had 32 kids in her class (2nd grade) I would often go to the school to drop off lunch or clothing. My daughters teacher would be at the school but yet her class was split up and the children were put into other classrooms. I asked but the staff would say she is doing something else today. basically gave me the run around. I asked the teacher and she would always have some excuse. She was never where she is supposed to be. Since Mr Guerin left the school went down hill. My children have been attending PS 115 since Pre K and it has never been this bad..Save yourself the headache and send your child to private school. Don't waste your time with this Poorly run School.

My son has only 3 months in PS115 ,i see a big deference he's in 3rd grad,mrs Rosen class a good teacher severe,responsible,strong and hard working,my son made a lot of progress

I was supremely fortunate to have my daughter at this school as part of the district Gifted and Talented program. With a kindergarten class of only 12 students, and a phenomenal teacher, my daughter benefited greatly from a school that is strongly committed to its district Gifted and Talented students. From the little I have observed of the non G&T classes, I would have definitely passed on this school had my daughter not been part of G&T. If you are seeking a quality educational experience for your child, and he/she did NOT test into the G&T program, I would pass on this school and consider private and parochial options instead.

Well, well what can I say PS115 is one of the best. It has its trouble like any great school does, but the teachers and Principal has done their best with what they have. Just to specially mention my favorite teacher SANDI YAROW my son had her for 2 consecutive years and those were two great years of his school life. He looks forward to going to school he has never been late ot absent for those two years Ms Yarow motivates, challenges and inspires my son a whole lot thanks to her. He is a hard worker with a great spirit and Ms Yarow acknowledges and affirm him and that just did it for him. Keep up the good work MS. YAROW and PS115.

This school is a decent school. Could always be better but I think it really relies on who the teacher is. My son was in Kindergarten. His class was crowded and had a few children with severe behavior problems. However Mrs. Harris is THE BEST teacher I have come across. She handled the problems gracefully and my child has never been directly impacted by it. He learned a lot and she expected a lot from them. My son will be going back this school year 2011-2012 for 1st grade and hopefully we have an equally pleasant experience as last school year.

ps115 is a great school i would highly recommend it. the students learn life long lesson from there teachers not just in learning but lesson that go beyond what there paid to do. even though recently they got a new principal he's doing quit well if i say so my self he's adjusting more than u think he would there enviroment is really good and theres like 6 daycares just 1-2 blocks down and your child can be walked with there fellow classmates down the block. ps115 as so many great activities glee club,dance club,theater club,millienun,and odyssey of the mind( a group of 7 soar into there creative there given a topic rules a certan amount of money they can't go above and aplay /skit where they make out of the box props and do a mind thinking round of spontanues. there they wil be judged togo to long island if they win 1st place therethey go to bimghton if they win there they go to anoter usa state last year all the teams made it to worlds and the year before that one team won )

Before my children started going to PS 115, they went to PS 276 because that was our zoned school. As an active parent volunteer, based on my observation I found that the teachers constantly yelled at the children and showed them no respect. I had both my children tested for the City Gifted and Talented Program and once they passed moved them to PS 115. So far it has been a great school for both of my children. I can appreciate the teachers efforts to work with every child based on their abilities and personalities. The only complaint that I have is the size of the classes. In my daughters class the teacher ratio is 1:18 which is not bad because the teacher conducts the class very well and she handles behavior issues accordingly. As for my sons class, the ratio is 1:28, not a good situation when you have a crowded class and children with bahavioral issues. The solution is to hire more teachers or lower the max number of students in a class! Academically, the work they are doing is right on point, communication is great, and parental involvement is good. PS 115 is a very good school with the potential to be a greater school once the issue of class size is addressed.

This school is overcrowded and poorly run! My child was in a class with 27 other students and one teacher. The class consisted of many behavioral problems. I tried addressing the concerns to the administration and nothing was done to change anything! This is a horribly run school. Run!

Last modified Ps 115 Daniel Mucatel School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.