Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Ps 185 Walter Kassenbrock 3

Posted May 24, 2016
This is my son's first year at this school. He is in kindergarten. I feel like the school is good, but one of my concerns is how tricky it is to know what is going on. The office staff is very grumpy and cold. Not really helpful at setting an overall tone for the school. i've been happy with my son's teacher as she seems caring and concerned, but she is quick to say everything is fine instead of listening to my questions. I feel there is way too much homework for kindergarten, and the "fun" things my son reports about are movies and parties with lots of candy and food. I imagine there is lots of wonderful instruction happening in the classroom, but the school doesn't have a system of making that transparent to the parents. The website is awful and uninformative and the school events are simple and non-enriching, and frankly very dated, i.e. a laser show. There is just so much to excite children, just feel its a bit underwhelming. I wish I could say this school was "good" or "great", and maybe it is, but due to the lack of connection to parents and families it's kind of a mystery.

Ps 185 Walter Kassenbrock 1

Posted August 20, 2015
Very nice if there is no problem or need and Terrible once the problem or need for help appears no matter how tine or big the problem is. That's because they don't want to do they're job. they work very well as a team in they're interest, and makes the situation wors for the families. They forget that they need to educate those children not to put them down. In my case my dough tear was brilliant, they put her down in a small group ( not deserved) and now went in one of the best schools in different state and happened to be one of the best. They need to learn how to work with talents not how to save them selfs from them self.

Posted May 01, 2014
My daughter is finishing her first year at PS 185 and we have been incredibly impressed. The teachers are dedicated and skilled and the school leadership (both principal and PTO) is strong. This school approaches education in a refreshingly traditional manner with a focus on how students think and solve problems rather than technology. I look forward to next year when the upper playground is back!

Posted August 28, 2013
I went to this school from Kindgergarten through 5th as part of the Delta program, I have very nice memories of it, from reading Harry Potter and the Chronicles of Narnia with Miss Amendolia to bowling on the roof garden and a huge graduation party. No complaints whatsoever, it was such a wonderful environment for kids, I'd do it all over again if I could! I love this school.

Ps 185 Walter Kassenbrock 4

Posted May 16, 2013
PS 185 is a wonderful school. MY 4 children attend and our oldest is graduating this year. We have been very happy with the administration and the teachers. I do wish the enrichment programs were available to more students. Bring in instruments for 3 - 5th grade, offer Chorus to more students. Get teh younger classes involved as well, let the children try new things and have a talent show, a piano recital, an intstrument recital. Children need to express themselves and have a creative outlet.

Ps 185 Walter Kassenbrock 2

Posted March 20, 2013
The student- teacher ratio is high which is not helpful. 24 kids for one teacher is a lot specially in kindergarden. I do not know how the administration is using the money to improve the quality of the school but that student- ratio is not good for offering more individiual attention to the kids. The lunch room is not well supervised neither clean. Besides the school is under construction which inside is a mess and very hard to listen to the class. The construction work it seems to last forever who knows when is going to be finished.

Ps 185 Walter Kassenbrock 2

Posted January 21, 2011
the classes are over-crowed and the lunchroom is a mess. the teachers need to stop yelling and behave in a professional manner.

Posted October 26, 2010
My two sons are studrnt of this school,The principle,Class teacher and parent teacher co ordinator are very much helpful,

Posted June 30, 2010
My son just finished up second grade at PS 185 and it has been a great experience. We heard good things about the school, but were unable take a tour. They only have a tour once a year, and if you miss it, they are not very forthcoming with information. Given this cold shoulder we were skeptical of the school, but gave it a try based on the recommendations of friends with kids in the school. We are glad we did, the school has been great. My son had 24 children in his class and two teachers. The second teacher helps kids who fall behind, but is also available to help the high achievers. It is also a true neighborhood school, with parents walking their kids to school every day, and good parental involvement. The teachers were also very engaged, and were happy to discuss our son's progress.

Posted September 08, 2009
Mr. Linas is a gem principal very involved and, absolutely cares about the students.There are a few teachers I think they would be better off without but as long as the principal is an advocate for the kids that is what matters. The school is definitely homey and helpful.

Ps 185 Walter Kassenbrock
8601 Ridge Boulevard, Brooklyn, NY  11209
Last modified Ps 185 Walter Kassenbrock is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.