Ps 193 Gil Hodges

Public | PK-5 & ungraded | 905 students

Posted September 17, 2013

My daughter really loves the school, staff and her classmates. She looks forward to going to school every single day and is extremely happy there. We've also met some really wonderful families who truly care about the success of the school. As for the curriculum - it isn't very exciting and we wish there were more enrichment/after-school activities. Though for that to happen the school really needs the parent community to step up and be more involved. The teachers have been great - especially her 2nd grade teacher who went above and beyond to enrich their lives (offered chess lessons and jazz Fridays). The school also has an exceptional music teacher who produces the greatest end of year musicals! Unfortunately, the music program finds itself on the "chopping block" year after year. All in all, a good school with room for improvement.

Posted September 16, 2013

Our longtime principal retired this year and we have a new principal Ms. Tami Flynn (greatschools - you need to update your info!). She has big shoes to fill but I'm sure she's up to the task as we received an introduction letter from her on the first day of school. PS 193 hasa wonderful parent community with huge potential for making a difference, but we just don't have enough parents involved and it's a shame. Other than that I'm very happy with my child's academic progress in CIG. I think there could be more challenge in math and the DOE's mandatory curriculum change basically set the class back by a year to make sure everyone learned math "the new way". But the school tries really hard and the effort from all staff is palpable, except for the parent coordinator.

Posted September 16, 2013

I think the school provides a decent education, and so far I haven't seen anything that I considered better in the rest of Brooklyn, even though some of my friends' children attend private schools, as well as other well-regarded public schools. We have other options, closer to our home, for example, but have been happy enough to send our child to PS193. We like that the administration has been responsive to our needs, there are some great teachers, and we have seen great progress, especially in reading and writing for our child. She has also very much enjoyed music lessons, both singing and flutaphone, as well as gotten exposure to French language and culture. We made good friends with some of the other families in the school. The school has a very nice playground, where our child stays after school . There are downsides -- the lunchroom is very loud, and our child said that sometimes staff yell at children, especially in the lunchroom.

Posted August 29, 2013

I am extremely proud of all that the school is doing in order to facilitate to the extraordinary needs of my children. One son is in CIG and the other two in general classes, however all three challenged by their teachers every single day. My 1st grader received homework right up until 2 days before school officially closed.

Posted August 29, 2013

Wonderful environment for your children and very safe. The teachers are doing an excellent job of educating my three children .

Posted July 17, 2011

My daughter has been in the CIG class since Kindergarten and she has received an excellent education re reading , math, art, and French. Where else can a public elementary student in Brooklyn be taught French. The school is racially diverse and it works THe school needs more money and needs to tap into its reservoir of alumni. Othen than that,the schools has a warm, caring and creative environment with a seasoned principal who knows how to work the syste,

Posted March 16, 2011

This is an excellent School. My daughter is in the 1st grade and i am extremely please with her progress.

Posted December 11, 2010

The Gil Hodges School is was an awesome school when I went there and still is. I attended P.S. 193 from 2nd to 5th grade and I was in the Gifted and Talented program and I am now a high school junior. The teachers taught well and challenged me every step of the way. The school always had interesting activities like the annual dance festival and the school play. They also had a lot of clubs and programs for the students to partake in. I loved the fact that the school has a motto of "Be Respectful and Be Nice". My only dislike was that the CIG program kids were deemed superior to the rest of the school and had a lot of "special" field trips and programs that I felt every student should have been able to participate in. Also, I think that they needed to have a no tolerance policy on bullying. When anyone was teased the administration would put it off as harmless child's play, even though it wasn't. Other then these few minuscule flaws, I'd recommend P.S. 193 as a great school for parents to send their children to.

Posted October 12, 2010

My child is in a CIG class. The school fosters an belief that the student of CIG are the elite. Unforrtunately the students themselves are perpetuating this believe in their actions and attitudes. Although my child is a CIG student and the work is challenging, her teacher is harsh to say the least. It is as if she is on a personal mission to keep the CIG program exclusive to who she things deserves to be there. She critizes at every turn and expects the students to act as college students. I often times ask myself if her actions are justified. Are "gifted" children adults or are they children who have the ability to learnfaster than others. In all honesty, I dont believe these CIG children are geniuses and should not be made to think they are elite either. This year may be the last year my daughter attends ps 193.

Posted October 7, 2010

If your child is in Gifted program, this is a good school. They will receive a quality education. However, if your child is in the general classes, I would recommend another school where they can be more challenged. My children came from a private Pre-K program and I was very disappointed by the curriculum being taught on the K and 1st grade level.

Posted January 26, 2010

Great school! My son was in Cig and is now in middle school. He is doing outstanding work due to his academic and social education at PS193. Kusos to the principal, AP and staff. An unsung gem of a school. Also, the PA is outstanding!

Posted November 17, 2009

This school continually proves that a strong, caring and committed staff will provide true excellence not only by expectation but by example. Of my 4 children 2 are in the CIG program, 1 in general ed and 1 in special ed. Each child loves school because they learn something new everyday and enjoy and respect the adults in the building. I love how each child is challenged based on their independent strengths and weaknesses. Each enjoy a phenomenal art, music and dance program that is unrivaled in this district. It is a gift and shows that public education is thriving here at 193!

Posted June 21, 2009

As parents, all we want is for our children to excel and be happy with in their school environments. I have 2 boys at 193, one is in the G&T program & my other son is in a general class. I can honestly say that both my children are receiving a wonderful education. They are on different levels but their academic needs are being met accordingly. Both my sons are advanced for the classes they are in. They participate in great plays through out the yr, and other types of arts activities. One of my sons takes French and French enrichment. Reading and writing is a big part of the schools program, which is great, both my sons are 2-3 levels above their reading level. The school community is so close, our kids take extra curriculum activities else where.

Posted May 28, 2009

Love it ! ! ! They are so caring and know every child on a first name basis. I would totally recommend this school to everyone. My son is in the CIG program and I could not be happier.

Posted May 28, 2009

P.S. 193 offers my children the best of many worlds. The quality of the arts and music program is unmatched. Every staff member and student understands and often quotes the school credo 'Be respectful. Be nice.' Two of my four children are in the G&T program and are flourishing with a nice balance of independent work and classroom activities. I highly recommend this school. Come see it for yourself.

Posted March 12, 2009

P.S. 193 is a wonderful school. My daughters love it there, I wish they had up to 8th grade in this school. The teachers there is very terrific, they are doing a great job with the kids. They love the Glee Club, and the tap dance.

Posted March 11, 2009

My son has never been the kind to apply his full potential to school. PS 193 has been very patient and caring to my child who has a single parent. They try every means to make him feel special and involved.

Posted December 3, 2008

My son just got enrolled in kindergarten this September and I love what the school has done so far. His teacher Mrs. Sisane is great and he loves to go to school every day.

Posted July 6, 2008

My daughter was part of the 1st grade CIG program. When she entered she was reading at a Kindergarten level at the end of the school year she is reading at a 3rd grade level. I love this school. Also the prinicpal and the teacher Ms.Hoffman were great.

Posted June 7, 2008

Every day, my daughter comes home and tells me about how she enjoys her school so much, and about all the fun things she did. The joy on her face is indescribable. She really loves her school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

143 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

145 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

138 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

141 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2014.

111 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

113 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "B" for the elementary school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 53%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 341 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.3

8.4

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.4

8.5

8.7

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.9

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.3

Teachers6198%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• MR. FRANK A. CIMINO

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now