Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

School administrators needs to be effective communicators. There is a disconnect in communication from administrators towards parents about practices within the school. Mrs Little, the music teacher is a great contributor to the wonderful atmosphere that is PS 197. Little is the only good reason why the school has 1 star. Perhaps she can replace the principal that leaves the school with cold and unengaging.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

The students is quite diverse unfortunately the teachers is not as diverse. In order to incorporate tolerance and education, the teachers should have mixed race. The paraprofessional help is black. There should be other non white teachers as well.

Develops character: Neutral

The principal does not connect well with the parents and the school should be as diversified as the students.

I like the fact that my kid comes home with homework and clear instructions about what to do. There are rules. Not every school is perfect. But the curriculum does challenge the kids, making them better thinkers. However, I am not too fond of the junior high near them, although they never interact with the elementary school kids, they run amok as if they are in a zoo. When waiting for my kid, I can probably count the F-word more than I'd like to. Don't send your kids to the junior high. It is a different continuum.

Me and both my kids like this school.The principal and most of the teachers are very good. I can't complain. When I had any question I could go to parent coordinator. She is very friendly and helpful. Although there is a junior high school in the same building they never interact (they don't share the same floors, lunchrooms and go to the field at different time), so don't worry about it.

This school is getting worse. Some teachers are better than others, but the educational and academic levels are awful. Including scores for the recent common core test scores. The environment is a jungle! There is a junior night school in the building, where kids are running wild and crazy. Everyday when I pick up my daughter from school, all I see is bunch of crazy junior high kids cursing and yellin. It's an awful. Stay away. I can't wait for my daughter to finish the grade and get out.

PS 197 I am very pleased with this school. My child just started attending and all the staff seem to be on the same page. My child comes home every day with a list of people and teachers that she loves. mg

Hi! My daughter is currently a 5th grader in the gifted and talented program at PS 197, and I must say that we have truly enjoyed her time there. The teachers are wonderful, the staff is friendly, and the curriculum is challenging. The school is wonderfully diverse, and make every effort to accommodate those that speak english as a second language. I would recommend this school to anyone looking to have their child's educational career begin in a place where the student is the priority.

The school was fine 5 years ago, the classes became very poor and very weak, kids will need a lot of help in order to be competive with other schools. The principal pretend to be helpful but she is not, when you ask for some specific request, forget about it, there will be always a NOT even when you didn't finish asking for your request. It is very sad and disappointed, because the school is located in a very nice neighborhood, so the school should be in high standards and unfortunately there is not other choice around and with this terrible recession no way to afford a private school which is very sad because our kids deserve better education

Very good school.I am so happy that my son stady in this school.Thank you for every body.

Last modified Ps 197 The Kings Highway Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.