Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (2 responses)

Ps 197 The Kings Highway Academy 1

Posted May 22, 2016
School administrators needs to be effective communicators. There is a disconnect in communication from administrators towards parents about practices within the school. Mrs Little, the music teacher is a great contributor to the wonderful atmosphere that is PS 197. Little is the only good reason why the school has 1 star. Perhaps she can replace the principal that leaves the school with cold and unengaging.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted May 22, 2016
Yes Mrs Seaforth, she is sweet and wonderful with the children. She will be missed. Thank you is not good enough! Ms Wanda, the lunch lady who knows my daughter's name and never too busy to speak to her while she is serving the students.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted May 22, 2016
The students is quite diverse unfortunately the teachers is not as diverse. In order to incorporate tolerance and education, the teachers should have mixed race. The paraprofessional help is black. There should be other non white teachers as well.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted May 22, 2016
The principal does not connect well with the parents and the school should be as diversified as the students.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted May 04, 2016
I cannot just thank one person. I want to thank the front desk for being helpful. I want to thank Wanda the lunchroom lady, who knows my son by name. I want to thank the Librarian, his science teacher, art teacher, and I hope I didn't forget anyone. James loves you all. I mainly want to thank Ms. Santoro for being patient with my active son. We appreciate her and everyone at PS 197. God bless you all.

Posted March 02, 2016
I like the fact that my kid comes home with homework and clear instructions about what to do. There are rules. Not every school is perfect. But the curriculum does challenge the kids, making them better thinkers. However, I am not too fond of the junior high near them, although they never interact with the elementary school kids, they run amok as if they are in a zoo. When waiting for my kid, I can probably count the F-word more than I'd like to. Don't send your kids to the junior high. It is a different continuum.

Posted March 22, 2014
Me and both my kids like this school.The principal and most of the teachers are very good. I can't complain. When I had any question I could go to parent coordinator. She is very friendly and helpful. Although there is a junior high school in the same building they never interact (they don't share the same floors, lunchrooms and go to the field at different time), so don't worry about it.

Ps 197 The Kings Highway Academy 1

Posted December 05, 2013
This school is getting worse. Some teachers are better than others, but the educational and academic levels are awful. Including scores for the recent common core test scores. The environment is a jungle! There is a junior night school in the building, where kids are running wild and crazy. Everyday when I pick up my daughter from school, all I see is bunch of crazy junior high kids cursing and yellin. It's an awful. Stay away. I can't wait for my daughter to finish the grade and get out.

Posted September 26, 2013
PS 197 I am very pleased with this school. My child just started attending and all the staff seem to be on the same page. My child comes home every day with a list of people and teachers that she loves. mg

Posted October 24, 2011
Hi! My daughter is currently a 5th grader in the gifted and talented program at PS 197, and I must say that we have truly enjoyed her time there. The teachers are wonderful, the staff is friendly, and the curriculum is challenging. The school is wonderfully diverse, and make every effort to accommodate those that speak english as a second language. I would recommend this school to anyone looking to have their child's educational career begin in a place where the student is the priority.

1599 East 22nd Street, Brooklyn, NY  11210
Last modified Ps 197 The Kings Highway Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.