Brooklyn, NY
Students enrolled: 1,519

Posted October 24, 2013
Dyker is really awesome!! A really fun school with nice helpful teachers! Dyker made my three years there fun and educational!

Jhs 201 The Dyker Heights 4

Posted October 24, 2013
When first coming into this school, I felt upset that i didn't get into a "better" school. But the amazing teachers and friends that I made; I was glad to have gone to Dyker. Sure there was one or two teachers which I didn't like, but that's with every school. Dyker gave me a good foundation for my education and I will never forget my times there.

Posted October 08, 2013
Class of 2013! Dyker is amazing because of all the wonderful teachers and friends that are always there to help you.

Jhs 201 The Dyker Heights 1

Posted May 19, 2013
Super Intendant program here is mediocre, I thought my child would have an advantage being in a specialized program but that was not the case, the classes are taught by incompetent teachers who dont really care if your child is not preforming to the high standards that a specialized program should have. No parental involvement , you have to investigate yourself if you want to be informed about their education. School full of disrespectful kids where their education is not their main priority but who curse and do inappropriate things. i have complained so many times but it falls on deaf ears. Lack of choices for enrichment classes, you are assigned to them depending on what class you are in and committed to stay in the same class for your entire stay there.Very frustrating environment if you are a parent who cares about your child's education & child's performance. Going to Private school to get away from the bad elements and get a better education

Jhs 201 The Dyker Heights 2

Posted December 26, 2012
I think it's extremely important to feel safe in the school you attend. If you do not feel safe it would be difficult for you to learn and enjoy school. Unfortunately, the school environment is not the best it could be. I've heard from children who attends the school that during interchange of classes and in the lunch room there is inappropriate language, etc... Where are the teachers and administrators and are they listening and noticing what is happening within their school? Do they need to step it up to create a happy community of learners?

Jhs 201 The Dyker Heights 2

Posted July 02, 2012
I am a 2006 graduate of Dyker Heights, an alumni of Stuyvesant High, and a rising junior at Cornell University. In retrospect, I had a great experience at Dyker-- great teachers and wonderful classmates. However, on the whole, the vast majority of the teachers there were unqualified and many of its students, delinquents. I am amazed that I survived the pre-specialized high school school system. It abhors me every time I think about my middle school education. A plethora of unqualified and just plain bad teachers, a lackluster sentiment amongst the vast majority of its students, and an environment non-conducive to an educational environment. Don't get me wrong-- there were some great teachers there and some highly motivated students, but on the whole, I would not send my kids to Dyker. If I have a recommendation, I would send kids to private school if money is not an issue.

Jhs 201 The Dyker Heights 3

Posted May 23, 2012
In response to the May 21, 2012, posting, I have to say that an outdated website is not the only outdated aspect about this school. My child is about to graduate from an uninspiring, technologically backwards school. During her three years at I.S.201, her group has used computers about half a dozen times, and she was denied any computer instruction. During one of the years, against all DOE requirements, her class did not have ANY type of arts instruction. Foreign language classes are reserved for SP (gifted and talented) students. Opportunities to participate in after school activities or special events have been offered in an erratic manner. One would expect a middle school to offer some enrichment programs, but in our case, we have had to take our child elsewhere and pay for private lessons. We are happy that she is finally leaving this school and hopefully for an institution that regards students as individuals with special talents and interests.

Posted December 14, 2011
Went to dyker heights, then brooklyn tech and now I'm at cornell studying engineering. Great school that made me who I am today *if you're in the SM program.

Posted August 23, 2011
I graduated Dyker heights this year, 2011. I really love this school and really wish i've never graduated. The teachers are so nice there and are willing to help! The truth is that at first when i graduated 5th grade, i've never knew about the junior high school test, and i failed it. I split-ed up from my best friends and i made my new friends in dyker. Also, my best friend! This is an amazing school!

Posted August 09, 2011
This is a wonderful school. My child has blossomed so much in this school. She has been exposed to so much...academically and socially.

Jhs 201 The Dyker Heights
8010 12th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11228
Last modified Jhs 201 The Dyker Heights is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jhs 201 The Dyker Heights Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 74 reviews. Top