Ps 215 Morris H Weiss

Public | PK-5 & ungraded | 769 students

Posted July 28, 2014

Glad that my son in this school. Teacher Ms. Ahern is lovely and knowledgable! Looking forward for next year class!

Posted June 10, 2014

Also, I have to say, no, not crazy, or cowards. Many parents don't want to speak up, or make enemies at the school because the kids are the ones who might suffer in completely subconscious ways when dealing with teachers who've been complained about. The administration is only human but they need to try harder to be more professional, and not take requests or problems as personal attacks. Not everyone who's in charge of a school should have that job, and I'm of the opinion that we need a better principal at 215. We should have someone stronger, with greater interpersonal skills who'll make inroads with all parents, no matter their ethnicity, or 1st language. We also need a better public speaker to represent us as a school. And I agree, yes, in district 21 PS 215 is the best of all available schools, but you have to consider the population it serves, the neighborhood, etc. We should be ranked higher than nearly 300 with the resources the school has. Anyway, I've had my say, anonymously, just like everybody else, like another mom said to me a long time ago, "I don't want to make enemies and make my kids suffer at the zoned school."

Posted June 8, 2014

I am the father of a fourth grader at PS 215. I can't begin to thank all of the teachers and staff at the school for making my son feel like he is at home. The school has so many after school activities that makes the schildren love to learn. I am confident that my son and his friends all did well on the state exams because the teachers have prepared them so well. Just recently, I had to speak to the Principal, Ms. A Bove, and was greeted with professionalism and expertise. I can't wait for my Kindergarten daughter to attend 215 next year. For anyone who writes differently about this wonderful school, I would say that they must feel ignorant andhave such low self esteem that they can't have a productive conversation with the staff and teachers. I have always felt comfortable when speaking to the Principal, AP or teachers. Thank you to all of the teachers and staff of PS 215. Happy Summer!

Posted June 8, 2014

MY FRIENDS KIDS, IN ANOTHER SCHOOL, IN SHIPSHEDBAY. THEY DO NOT HAVE 25% PROGRAMS,ATTENTION,ACTIVITIES LIKE IN OUR.THANKS TO PRINCIPAL AND STAFF.GREAT JOB.

Posted May 31, 2014

I hate this schooll!!! everyone so mean especially the principal. if i had the time i would write you a essay about her. she only respects certain people and treats other people specially A.K.A her niece and friends. also the security guards are the meanest youll ever meet. schools are supposed to teach you about treating while the teachers organize clubs where only certain people are invited, K-kids. this is the worst ever

Posted May 7, 2014

I went to PS215K to register my son; he will attending Kindergarten in Sep. 2014. When I enter the office I said good morning and couldn't believe I was being ignore (The office was not busy). Before I open my mouth, someone slaps a paper on the counter and ask for proof of address. The person makes a copy quickly and just stood their has if she wanted me out quickly. The staff that didn t even bother to say her name but I know hers because I heard nice things about her thru a Caucasian neighbor. The staff gave the paper to a lady in the back to sign. The lady in the back didn t even give eye contact but I knew she was the principal. I am still trying to convince myself that I was not treat with indifference because I am not Caucasian.

Posted April 8, 2014

My review was deleted?? These are my points, I'm a Mexican mom, American born and I've talked to many hispanic moms who have kids in the school, and they have been treated poorly. The school has only two ESL teachers when there's a need for more in each grade, especially for the spanish speaking students. The principal is rude, and I have heard dozens of complaints about how she treats people at the school. The school received lots of money for an increased number of special ed students and the money has been spent on desks, new books, but NO enrichment. In my opinion, this new money is being misspent. If there were a way to check school surveys and graph the problems hispanic parents have at the school, they'd all fall under the same category, and that would be underserviced.

Posted April 6, 2014

PS 215 is simply the BEST elementary school in District 21. My daug hter attends this school sonce kindergarten and will be graduating this year. I completely disagree with negative comments left by some parents. Mrs. Bove, P S 215 principle is Outstanding. She always supportive, approachable and very professional. Indeed, she has an open door policy and never said that she has no time and etc. Parent Coordinator, Mrs Rose Sallustio is awesome. Great after-school programs. Main office staff always friendly and efficient. Teachers are great. Quality of education is very high. We are very happy that our daughter attending PS 215. I strongly recommend this school.

Posted February 26, 2014

You know what I don't get, at all? Why is the staff at the front desk so rude? The principal is rude, so are the secretaries, is everyone always having a bad day at this school? I like my kids teachers, except for one so far, but why all the rudeness? And there is no open door policy at the school. If you want to meet with the administration on a given day about any issue, you MUST make an appointment. Which is wrong. Why does the pricipal insist on saying there is an open door policy if there isn't one? If I had anothe rchoice, I would take my kids to another school. If you look at the rating from the school by th e DOE it says the school is proficient, which means just average. Not good, in my opinion.

Posted February 24, 2014

Don't let this school fool you. It should be great based on the area and the teachers but the principal, the administrative staff and the "security guards" are complete and utter let downs. They're short and speak over you if you call and unfortunately have an issue you need their help resolving. They don't want to deal with parents or help resolve issues, just make them go away. They don't feel the need to explain things nicely they bully and intimidate parents. Inquiries are taken as attacks & confrontation. I've never in all my life seen such rude ignorant, backwards people. There is no common sense used which is why parents are constantly frustrated. Dismissal is a nightmare if it rains or snows. They have no system. They either stand children outside in bad weather or shove 300 kids in a tight stairwell trying to find their parent among the crowd. I've seen teachers in a panic because they lost a child in the confusion. This school is a hot mess and I honestly know many parents that can't wait until their children graduate or move out of the district. The teachers will give you the shirts off their backs and that's the only reason I have allowed my children to remain.

Posted April 19, 2013

Excels when making sure your child's needs are met! The staff that helps the children receiving services is very professional and make sure to make you and your child feel like just the same as the other children and parents.

Posted February 1, 2013

I was excited that 215 is my zone school. I called for the information about registering my child to kindergarten in this school. Someone answered my phone and told me about the docouments that I have to bring with me. I have to bring the child, but she did not tell me about the time from 9 to 11. I got to the school at 11:10, and got rejected by the security guard. I called the office and spoke to the person who does the registration, she said if I called in, someone must told me about the time. I told her if someone told me about the time limit, I would not bring my kid out at that weather (28 degree). I told her I was in school at that moment. She told me to come backnext week because she will be in lunch at 11, but she was in the phone with me at that time. she told me that I have to come back next week. It was 28 degree at that time. I believe that if a person who really care about the kids and parents, he/ she will not just send me home and have we come back next week because of the person who answered the phone failed to tell me the time. The very first experience with this school made me so dissapointed. I hope other suff in the school will care about the children

Posted October 10, 2012

The principal of this school does not have an open door policy. She does not speak with parents regarding changes the school is making. She had decided to eliminate ESL classes and insert ESL students into regular classes without speaking to parents. This school was once a great school that has fallen off its since Ms Bove became principal. Many parents have been unhappy with Ms. Bove as principal.

Posted September 28, 2010

PS 215 is one of the best schools in brooklyn due to the leadership of Ms. Bove and her staff and administration. The teachers work hard to make sure every child receives the proper education to be successful citizens in our society. Children are number 1 in PS 215. However, it would be nice to see more parents coming to the PTA meetings and getting involved.

Posted June 27, 2010

I would like to thank my daughter's teacher, Ms. Gilroy for being an absolutely terrific teacher.! My daughter learned a great deal this year because of Ms. Gilroy's constant praise, patience and excellent skills as a teacher. She was not only loving and nurturing to her students, but she also made herself easily accessible to the parents. Again, on behalf of my daugher and the other children in her class I would like to thank Ms. Gilroy for being a wonderful teacher.

Posted June 24, 2010

Some of this school's program do not work as advertised. A class can start with a certain foreign language, then it abrubtly ends in a middle of the term, then another language starts next year and lasts for a few months. As an outcome, children do not learn any foreign language. On an Italian language afterschool program, children are busier with coloring and computers rather than learning a language. I noticed the same about other afterschool programs like math, science, violin. There are probably half of such classes are quality lessons , the other half is just a waste of time. This needs to get improved.

Posted March 26, 2010

excellent school and great programs

Posted June 26, 2009

In regards to Mrs. Bocchino. I 100% agree with the parent comment below. Mrs. Bocchino is a wonderful teacher. My daughter has learned how to do independent studies. She has learned so much this year more than any other school year. I really do appreciate what you have done for my daughter. Overall PS 215 is a wonderful school. Sue and Mrs. Torres does a great job protecting the kids. Mrs. Bove is also doing a great job with the school.

Posted June 26, 2009

On behalf of my daughter and other parents, I want to thank my daughter's kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Lynch, for being a great educator, a loving caretaker and a very nice person. My daughter learned a lot for this year and found many friends in Mrs. Lynch's class. We will always have the warmest memories about her kindergarten.

Posted April 29, 2009

My kids attend this school currently and everything about this school is A plus and im so particular !!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

151 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

151 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

115 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

116 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2014.

128 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

128 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "C" for the elementary school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 83%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 449 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.9

8.0

8.4

9.6

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.8

7.9

8.5

9.7

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

8.6

7.5

9.6

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.6

Teachers4291%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• MS. ANTONELLA BOVE

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

415 Ave S