Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 23, 2016
I would like to say a Speacial thank you to some very important teachers and staff of ps 217 who was a very important factor in my daughters achievement. Sydney and Lewa Richmond. First, Mrs. Morsi- for making Sydney believe in herself. Mrs. Leonardi- this teacher was a prime factor for Sydney in grad four. She made the grade fun and Sydney always talk about how loving and careing Mrs. Leonardi was. Mrs. Dale.- Sydney's first teacher without a para professional. Mrs. Dale will always be remembered as one of the best teachers in the school. She tried to make Sydney understand that she can be anything she wants in life. (Mr. Lemon- for helping Lewa to get to class every morning after she had a surgery.) I think that this was the single most gracious act of kindness that I experience at the school. Mr Lemon aided Lewa to and from classes fore a little over a month because she had some walking difficulties after surgery. Now this is something I think he should be rewarded for. The para profession Mrs. A. She will always be remembered for her kindness and patience with Sydney. We will forever be grateful too her and will never forget the things she helped our daughter achieve. Mrs. A, left a lasting impression on our daughter and as my daughter puts it," Whenever I'm confused about something, I just ask myself, What would Mrs. A do". These are the people and thoughts that we will remember after we leave P.S 217. We as parents will like to say a special thank you to all.

Ps 217 Colonel David Marcus School 1

Posted May 23, 2016
I had a bad experience with the school's principal . I believe, a parents view should be considered when making important decisions concerning their child. I don't believe in a what the principal says goes sanario. When someone says to you," This is my school, and then proceeds to ignor you as a parent when it pertains to your child. The outcome could only lead to disaster for your child. I believe that both the parents and the school should work together for the best interest of the child. Although the principal portrays herself to be a person of integrity , I disagree with some of her statements and decisions towards my child.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 19, 2016
Ms. Leonce/Ms. Greenwood are excellent teachers. Not sure if Ms. Leonce is still with the school but she was my daughters kindergarten teacher and she was AWESOME!!

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted May 19, 2016
it's a hit or miss. Depends who is the child teacher. There are many caring teachers in the school but the style of teaching does not work for all children.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted May 19, 2016
There are a couple of lunch aides that are very disrespectful to the kids. Tells them to shut up or eat their food quickly or throws it out when the child is not done. I understand there is a time limit but that is not right.

Ps 217 Colonel David Marcus School 3

Posted May 19, 2016
The school has changed drastically. My daughter attends this school and we are not happy how it is going academically or any matter. Her 2nd grade teacher left the school end of Dec. 2015 right before the break and the class did not have a permeant teacher for almost over a month. The class fell behind and the new teacher seems like a nice guy but lacks experience with handling children. The school overall is pretty good as they have after school programs/magnet and plays and activities during the entire school year. Movie on Friday once a month, science fair. However, there is no diversity in the school and the administration is not pleasant. I've gone to the school to speak w/Ms. Conti and she is very short.

Posted August 17, 2014
Our sons thrived in PS217 - a warm, welcoming environment, well managed and well maintained, with a strong academics and strong inter-cultural social environment for the students. We are very lucky to live in the PS 217 zone.

Posted March 15, 2014
This school is awesome! The teachers are awesome! They help students. Learn and have fun at the same time. Have a talent or want to learn a talent? Then this school has more than 10 talent classes! Graduation Ceremony, the 5th grade dance everything is great! Science lab full of animals. This school is the base to education and life. Shows and a lot more.

Ps 217 Colonel David Marcus School 4

Posted October 29, 2013
hi this used to be my school about a year ago im successfully in 6th grade with a great education the only thing i dont like is the principal franca conti she doesnt like us she doesnt even listen to another person and listen to other people. like seriuosly but everythign else if mind blowing my 5th gade teacher mr.brown was a excellent teacher if you get him youre lucky people dont like mr.brown why dont like him he teaches his kids like if they were his real kids. all my teachers were great so everyone out there if looking for a elementary school go here and hoply you dont have a naughty kid.lol. okay this was my frist school which i went for 6 years from kindergarten to 5 grade. really loved it so yeah. now oyu guys decide which is better. and every year the school changes and turns better and better i wish i can stay there for my whole education so yeah. hope oyu listen to me and think about the school. becuase its awesome.

Posted February 13, 2013
I used to go this school, in eagle (now I'm in 6th grade) and it was a really good school. Teachers, as far as i remember, do work hard (mostly directed to my 5th grade teacher, who made 5th grade awesome for me). The principal has strong leadership, too. The school also has a garden, lots of after school programs, sales and more. It's a great school.

1100 Newkirk Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11230
Last modified Ps 217 Colonel David Marcus School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.