Ps 225 The Eileen E Zaglin

Public | PK-8 & ungraded | 85 students

Posted April 15, 2014

I'm a student at P.S. 225, currently finishing my 8th grade. It's funny for me to read parents' comments about this school, how terrible or amazing it is. From my own experience I'd say, that parents don't know even 1/5 of things that are happening in the Eileen E Zaglin. I'd like to start my review with the most important problem for 8th graders - the Science teacher. With all of my respect, our teacher knows NOTHING about educating kids, and the only way to learn science is by educating yourself. Trust me and all of my classmates, the entire school hates her and wants to get rid of. However, she has friends in "upper classes" who would protect her no matter what happens, and this is the only reason why she is not fired yet. Screaming and yelling at students is her profession, definitely not teaching. Assistant principal is a very mean person, and most of the students are afraid of talking to her, because she would scream at you no matter what you've done (I'm a 90 and above student, but still getting yelled at for no reason.) In conclusion, I'd like to say that this school is not that bad, however, if you're not ESL and care about your education, choose another school.

Posted March 18, 2014

My two kids go here sevrl years and I cant believe the bad comments on this website. Principal, Teahcres, Dean and AP's all take care of kids here. You can even see AP's and Dean outside walking our blocks before school to get kids in safe and on time!

Posted March 18, 2014

It is most caring schools ever. They always helping my children. Thanks god my kids go here!

Posted January 11, 2014

I am a former student here in PS 225. Most of the teachers don't give much respect to the 8th graders, while a handful are absolute gems. My friend went to this school with me and she was barely able to speak English. She once got lost on her way down to lunch. A teacher saw her and my friend was screamed at by the teacher until my friend was reduced to tears. Bullying is not taken seriously here. I was a bullying victim and how was the situation "taken care of"? A talk with the assistant principal. Other than that, no serious punishments were carried out. The building's 4th floor is also home to PS 771, making manners even worse for the students AND the staff. If bullying occurs in lower/elementary grade(s), do NOT take this lightly because in middle school the issue has a very high chance of escalating to violence, even on school grounds! Do not send your kid here unless he/she has physical strength and a quick wit.

Posted January 9, 2014

This school would be better if they change the staff that work there. the dean is completely clueless about how to do his job. The principal does care what dean or the assistant principle is doing. The assistant principal and the dean make promises that they dont follow thru on. When they are confronted about the situation the dean looks like he either doesnt care or doesnt know how to handle it. The assistant principal instead of keeping cool, calm and collective he starts screaming from the top of his lungs saying if you dont like how I do things take your kid out of the school. Who does that??? I am so disappointed with this school. I cant wait for the school year to be over so i can get my kids out of there.

Posted June 24, 2012

This school is not so great. The teachers are ok, but if you are an American person, who only speaks English at home, you are going to have problems communicating at the school with the kids & even some of the staff. The staff is mixed, but not as mixed as the students. We are an American family & we only know English. When my daughter started PreK in September 2010, she kept coming home for 3 months saying that kids don't speak English & that she can't be friends with them. I felt terrible for my little girl & when I would come to pick her up, I heard at least 5 different languages myself from the parents. I don't know if people care about this issue as much as I do, but I hate that about P.S. 225. The is only 50% of White kids in the whole school & the other 50% is very mixed. Again, may not be an issue for other parents, but is an issue for me. Unfortunately, in the Brighton Beach area, there are many mixed people & many different languages. I'm moving out of the area to a more American neighborhood in Long Island. Finally!!!

Posted September 16, 2011

My daughter started Pre-K this year and she loves every minute of it shes very happy with the teachers and staff .. I am really happy that i choose this school as a parent!

Posted April 16, 2010

i love this school it has beautiful teachers and it teaches me a lot of things since i came to this school . i am graduating this year but im really sad because im leaving and going to another school my favorite teacher is mrs wedderburn i love her so much and im abtsam by the way
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 8, 2010

my child went to this dispicible school and has been treated as fowl as you can imagine !

Posted December 4, 2009

As for so many of horrifying years from a different school I finally got help from a staff members of PS 225. I have regained peace and understanding of my child. From this school my child gets education, great help and love. I truly believe that it takes a great knowledge, patients and will to teach different children at the same time. It takes a big heart to love our uneasy children. At PS 225 all the staff members are a true heroes. Thank you to all of you for your endless and hearty work

Posted August 11, 2008

My son Matthew's first year back at public school was at P.S.225. His teacher Ms. Malvone gave me faith that there was still some wonderful and caring teacher left in the public school systems. All staff members from resource room and all the wonderful help received from Mr. Casmai. Thanks to all of you I have regained my respect for the public school system. Mrs. Zuckerman.

Posted July 17, 2008

The worst school ever! Elementary school teachers are unaware of their group's climate! The only good thing in this school is the after school program!

Posted May 9, 2008

this school is the worst school for your child to go to. Especially 8th grade. The teachers have no respect for the students.I regret ever sending my child here.LLuckily its his last year.Thank God!

Posted November 13, 2007

I went to this school from preschool at age 4 through 8th grade and I loved the family atmosphere in this school. Everyone knows everyone else. The teachers care about you and I found that when I left to go to a 'gifted school', I would never have gotten into Murrow H.S. if it were not for this school. I will always love it, and that's what really counts, right?
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 10, 2006

It's a fantastic school with a very nice staff and administration.

Posted May 10, 2006

My son was transferred this past January to this school because of the no child left behind act. When I was given this school as an option, I was impressed with the scores in the Reading and Math state wide tests. But when I got to the school, I experienced racial hostility. My son's teacher is an absolute gem; she is extremely dedicated and phenomenal. It's the main office staff I have a problem with. My son is extremely gifted and I found it degrading and demeaning for a school official to say that 'these children have to be taken since it's no child left behind.' I was very upset over the whole incident and numerous other incidents I have first-handledly witness at this school. Even though my son loves his teacher and class, I'm unsure of how to proceed this coming September.

Posted January 24, 2006

My children attended this school for one academic year. I found the school to be too big, too crowded and the teachers to be uncaring. Class size is too big for one teacher to be able to do his/her job well. That was just one of the problems. I spoke with one of the assistant principals, and the principal regarding my concerns and did come away feeling that my concerns were important. In the end, I decided to place my children in a different school and we are all much happier. I wish I had better things to say.

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 36% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students25%

English language learners21%
Proficient in English51%
Non-migrant36%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students34%

English language learners15%
Proficient in English48%
Non-migrant38%

Algebra II/Trigonometry

The state average for Algebra II/Trigonometry was 66% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 76% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 72% in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 77% in 2013.

French

The state average for French was 95% in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 74% in 2013.

Global History and Geography

The state average for Global History and Geography was 71% in 2013.

Integrated Algebra

The state average for Integrated Algebra was 73% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Italian

The state average for Italian was 98% in 2011.

Living Environment

The state average for Living Environment was 77% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

Spanish

The state average for Spanish was 94% in 2011.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 80% in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Regents Examinations to test high school students in English, math, global history and geography, US history and government, living environment, chemistry, Earth science and physics. Students must take at least five Regents Exams in order to graduate. Scores of 65 and above are passing; scores of 55 and above earn credit toward a local diploma (with the approval of the local board of education). The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra II/Trigonometry

Physics

U.S. History and Government

Scale: % passing

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "A" for the elementary and middle school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 51%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 1046 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.0

8.4

7.9

7.2

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

9.1

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.2

8.9

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.6

Teachers7395%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• MR. JOSEPH MONTEBELLO

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1075 Oceanview Ave