Brooklyn, NY

Posted September 15, 2014
Both of my kids are in G&T program. Most of the teachers are excellent! However, 2 years ago one teacher for the 1st grade G&T was a little bit disappointed to us, she doesn't know how to use computer nor email, she doesn't care about the communication with the parents, her requirements for the G&T students were way too easy, and easily made them lost learning interest. Almost all the parents from her class believe that our children wasted that whole year. But, we don't see her recently, not sure if that is a good thing or not. Other than that teacher, two thumbs up for PS 229 elementary teachers, who know how to motivate the G&T kids and make teaching really meaningful and fun.

Posted April 22, 2014
I am a parent in this school since 2001. My 3 children have all had wonderful experiences in PS229. I have had 2 if my children go through Middleschool there and have found all the staff great. As with anything new there are always bumps in the road but that's top be expected. Overall it is a wonderful school.

Posted August 01, 2013
P.s. 229 dyker is a great school. They have wonderful teachers and I am very happy that my kids go to school there.

Posted May 30, 2012
Been in this School with my kids for over 12yrs. Every school has it ups & downs but I have to say this school has been over all a great School!! The things that my kids home and learn is all from this school. Also If I had a ask for any one person to watch over these kids in school it would be Mr. Rodgers!! He has been there for over 20 yrs and knows the school in & out. Great person !!

Ps 229 Dyker 1

Posted May 29, 2012
Unfortunate many of their staff members in the office are extremely difficult to work with. No transparency... agrees with previous review by other parents: "no parent involvement in the process and no talks toward solutions" Also watch out for the security guard "Roger' - not friendly at all.

Ps 229 Dyker 2

Posted April 25, 2012
Don't be fooled by these reviews. They are seriously out of date. Principal Harrigan is long gone, the middle school transition was a disaster and the new principal is in over his head. Had to pull my children out, and we were not alone. There are some bright spots, such as the wonderful lower school teachers and the excellent security team (Mr. Rodgers is the best). The upper grades leave much to be desired. If you have options, you should carefully consider them.
2 people found this helpful

Posted February 01, 2012
I graduated from PS 229 in 1959, so if you do the math, you'll know that I am now a 63 year old lawyer who is very grateful for the education I obtained there. It enabled me to go on to Brooklyn Tech and then Queens College, Stony Brook University and then University of Miami Law School. I am a former teacher, so I know how challenging it is to try to educate today's kids who are so radically different from how we were back then. Bravo for being a 9 out of 10 school despite all the obstacles. I'll give you 5 stars for still going strong after all these years. I remember all of my teachers and how dedicated they were even though they earned practically nothing at the time. Keep up the good work. Education is everything.

Ps 229 Dyker 0

Posted October 06, 2010
i love this because here teacher teach so well that my child is able to understand correctly

Ps 229 Dyker 0

Posted September 21, 2010
P.S. 229 is the epitome of what a public school should be. Its is run under the extraordinary leadership of Robert Zappulla and staffed with teachers who are nothing short of excellent. The education that the children receive is above and beyond what I expected. I am very fortunate that my children are enrolled in such a fine institution.

Posted October 02, 2009

Ps 229 Dyker
1400 Benson Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11228
Last modified Ps 229 Dyker is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 229 Dyker Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top