Brooklyn, NY
Students enrolled: 1,143

Posted June 01, 2015
I am disagreed with some parents. If you put your kids in this school, you should know this school is very concern about the test scores and trying to keep kids focuse on study. If your kids couldn't pass the test or having a low scores, you are blaming the school as well. My daughter is in G&T program, I have spend 1 1/2 hours everyday to help her hw, I feel bad for my little girl. However, new common core put all kids and schools in tough situation, as parents, we have to support and help our kids to go thru it, no only depends on school. I heard some parents, put their kids in after school tutoring since kindergarten. Although it has lots of cw and hw, but my girl loves this school. Teachers are very dedicated and motivative. When she starts school, she couldn't read and spell. Now, she is reading books in E grade, and writing simple sentences. Althought, she is not the smart one in class, but I see her improvement and the efford from her and teachers. If you want your kids has no hw, no pressure and relex in school, this is not a school that you are looking for. I give it 4 stars because it is my girl 1st year in this school, hopefully, all our kids are able to go thru the new common core and have bright futher. Good luck all.

Posted June 01, 2015
I have to agree that the priorities if those in charge at PS 229 are test scores and high ranking. If your child does not do well you as the parent will get all of the blame and the school offers no services for challenged students unless it is mandated. The class sizes are 30+ because people from other zones use addresses in the area to get their kids in. Why? Because of the ranking. But your child may not be taught certain things to focus on the tests. Schools get rewarded monetarily for those high test scores. Just do 't expect them to spend any of it on services for challenged children without having to jump through hoops first. Lots of them.

Ps 229 Dyker 1

Posted April 29, 2015
High test score and district ranking is the only thing the school is seeking. They don't really care about what children really need.

Posted January 15, 2015
I've heard great things about PS 229 before sending my child there. However, what I've found is completely the opposite. I understand that with the new common core there is a lot of work and teachers are overwhelming the kids with all the information, tests, and enormous amount of HW. The expectations are way over what children are actually capable of at this age. The tests are very difficult and as a result the grades suffer. The material is taught at a college level... Just sit and listen like a lecture. Most elementary age kids need a more playful approach. The teacher penalizes for every little thing and thinks that learning through negative reinforcement is the right approach. There is absolutely no recess even in the warm months like September, October, and even June. Kids do not move around at all other than during their once a week gym class. Yet they are expected to sit quietly, consecrate and listen to the teacher all day long. I find it ridiculous. No one seems to listen to any complaints or concerns. It's as if no one at this school cares!
3 people found this helpful

Posted September 15, 2014
Both of my kids are in G&T program. Most of the teachers are excellent! However, 2 years ago one teacher for the 1st grade G&T was a little bit disappointed to us, she doesn't know how to use computer nor email, she doesn't care about the communication with the parents, her requirements for the G&T students were way too easy, and easily made them lost learning interest. Almost all the parents from her class believe that our children wasted that whole year. But, we don't see her recently, not sure if that is a good thing or not. Other than that teacher, two thumbs up for PS 229 elementary teachers, who know how to motivate the G&T kids and make teaching really meaningful and fun.

Ps 229 Dyker 5

Posted April 22, 2014
I am a parent in this school since 2001. My 3 children have all had wonderful experiences in PS229. I have had 2 if my children go through Middleschool there and have found all the staff great. As with anything new there are always bumps in the road but that's top be expected. Overall it is a wonderful school.

Posted August 01, 2013
P.s. 229 dyker is a great school. They have wonderful teachers and I am very happy that my kids go to school there.

Posted May 30, 2012
Been in this School with my kids for over 12yrs. Every school has it ups & downs but I have to say this school has been over all a great School!! The things that my kids home and learn is all from this school. Also If I had a ask for any one person to watch over these kids in school it would be Mr. Rodgers!! He has been there for over 20 yrs and knows the school in & out. Great person !!

Ps 229 Dyker 1

Posted May 29, 2012
Unfortunate many of their staff members in the office are extremely difficult to work with. No transparency... agrees with previous review by other parents: "no parent involvement in the process and no talks toward solutions" Also watch out for the security guard "Roger' - not friendly at all.

Posted April 25, 2012
Don't be fooled by these reviews. They are seriously out of date. Principal Harrigan is long gone, the middle school transition was a disaster and the new principal is in over his head. Had to pull my children out, and we were not alone. There are some bright spots, such as the wonderful lower school teachers and the excellent security team (Mr. Rodgers is the best). The upper grades leave much to be desired. If you have options, you should carefully consider them.
2 people found this helpful

Ps 229 Dyker
1400 Benson Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11228
Last modified Ps 229 Dyker is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 229 Dyker Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top