Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (2 responses)

Ps 229 Dyker 1

Posted March 01, 2016
this principal never is at the office hi don't care for parent when they want to talk to him .The assistants her name is Kodine or Klodine scream a kids all the time and threat at them yesterday my son had field trip and she was screaming at the kids they got very scary . I am going to call my lawyer because is the 2nd time and the principal never called back .And the people in the main office are not respectful at all

Grateful to: Student

Posted March 01, 2016
The students are very nice I feel bed that going to that school if the principle will be change that school will be much better

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted March 01, 2016
The teacher are very bed can not describe my sons teacher she is young and she has no idea and my other son teacher she scream all day in class my son tells me everyday

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted March 01, 2016
Home work my kids come home with two papers and they call that homework. Teachers do not care at all only think they care is to rock in their chair

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted March 01, 2016
Yes it does if you have a argue with the teacher, the teacher will go after the child and give the child low grade

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted March 01, 2016
No body cares for students they don't care at all they treat students like trash it is very sad but reallity

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted March 01, 2016
Need new principle the one is there never solve problems or help. One thing he is good smiling

Ps 229 Dyker 2

Posted February 07, 2016
Big disappointment. I have no idea why this school has good reviews. My son is in G&T class. Teachers in those programs suppose to know how to develop talents in their students. Nothing that I expected is happening. Students are treated like robots. They are not aloud to be creative at all. The teacher penalizes for every little thing and thinks that learning through negative reinforcement is the right approach. There is absolutely no recess even in the warm months like September, October, and even June. Kids do not move around at all other than during their once a week gym class. Yet they are expected to sit quietly, consecrate and listen to the teacher all day long. I find it ridiculous. No one seems to listen to any complaints or concerns. It's as if no one at this school cares! On the top of it school administration is from the moon. No transparency. No communication with parents what so ever. School calendar is never updated. I have no idea how thy run this school. We will transfer our son from September.

Ps 229 Dyker 4

Posted June 01, 2015
I am disagreed with some parents. If you put your kids in this school, you should know this school is very concern about the test scores and trying to keep kids focuse on study. If your kids couldn't pass the test or having a low scores, you are blaming the school as well. My daughter is in G&T program, I have spend 1 1/2 hours everyday to help her hw, I feel bad for my little girl. However, new common core put all kids and schools in tough situation, as parents, we have to support and help our kids to go thru it, no only depends on school. I heard some parents, put their kids in after school tutoring since kindergarten. Although it has lots of cw and hw, but my girl loves this school. Teachers are very dedicated and motivative. When she starts school, she couldn't read and spell. Now, she is reading books in E grade, and writing simple sentences. Althought, she is not the smart one in class, but I see her improvement and the efford from her and teachers. If you want your kids has no hw, no pressure and relex in school, this is not a school that you are looking for. I give it 4 stars because it is my girl 1st year in this school, hopefully, all our kids are able to go thru the new common core and have bright futher. Good luck all.

Ps 229 Dyker 2

Posted June 01, 2015
I have to agree that the priorities if those in charge at PS 229 are test scores and high ranking. If your child does not do well you as the parent will get all of the blame and the school offers no services for challenged students unless it is mandated. The class sizes are 30+ because people from other zones use addresses in the area to get their kids in. Why? Because of the ranking. But your child may not be taught certain things to focus on the tests. Schools get rewarded monetarily for those high test scores. Just do 't expect them to spend any of it on services for challenged children without having to jump through hoops first. Lots of them.

1400 Benson Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11228
Last modified Ps 229 Dyker is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.