Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

this principal never is at the office hi don't care for parent when they want to talk to him .The assistants her name is Kodine or Klodine scream a kids all the time and threat at them yesterday my son had field trip and she was screaming at the kids they got very scary . I am going to call my lawyer because is the 2nd time and the principal never called back .And the people in the main office are not respectful at all

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The teacher are very bed can not describe my sons teacher she is young and she has no idea and my other son teacher she scream all day in class my son tells me everyday

Amount of homework: Disagree

Home work my kids come home with two papers and they call that homework. Teachers do not care at all only think they care is to rock in their chair

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Need new principle the one is there never solve problems or help. One thing he is good smiling

Big disappointment. I have no idea why this school has good reviews. My son is in G&T class. Teachers in those programs suppose to know how to develop talents in their students. Nothing that I expected is happening. Students are treated like robots. They are not aloud to be creative at all. The teacher penalizes for every little thing and thinks that learning through negative reinforcement is the right approach. There is absolutely no recess even in the warm months like September, October, and even June. Kids do not move around at all other than during their once a week gym class. Yet they are expected to sit quietly, consecrate and listen to the teacher all day long. I find it ridiculous. No one seems to listen to any complaints or concerns. It's as if no one at this school cares! On the top of it school administration is from the moon. No transparency. No communication with parents what so ever. School calendar is never updated. I have no idea how thy run this school. We will transfer our son from September.

I am disagreed with some parents. If you put your kids in this school, you should know this school is very concern about the test scores and trying to keep kids focuse on study. If your kids couldn't pass the test or having a low scores, you are blaming the school as well. My daughter is in G&T program, I have spend 1 1/2 hours everyday to help her hw, I feel bad for my little girl. However, new common core put all kids and schools in tough situation, as parents, we have to support and help our kids to go thru it, no only depends on school. I heard some parents, put their kids in after school tutoring since kindergarten. Although it has lots of cw and hw, but my girl loves this school. Teachers are very dedicated and motivative. When she starts school, she couldn't read and spell. Now, she is reading books in E grade, and writing simple sentences. Althought, she is not the smart one in class, but I see her improvement and the efford from her and teachers. If you want your kids has no hw, no pressure and relex in school, this is not a school that you are looking for. I give it 4 stars because it is my girl 1st year in this school, hopefully, all our kids are able to go thru the new common core and have bright futher. Good luck all.

I have to agree that the priorities if those in charge at PS 229 are test scores and high ranking. If your child does not do well you as the parent will get all of the blame and the school offers no services for challenged students unless it is mandated. The class sizes are 30+ because people from other zones use addresses in the area to get their kids in. Why? Because of the ranking. But your child may not be taught certain things to focus on the tests. Schools get rewarded monetarily for those high test scores. Just do 't expect them to spend any of it on services for challenged children without having to jump through hoops first. Lots of them.

High test score and district ranking is the only thing the school is seeking. They don't really care about what children really need.

I've heard great things about PS 229 before sending my child there. However, what I've found is completely the opposite. I understand that with the new common core there is a lot of work and teachers are overwhelming the kids with all the information, tests, and enormous amount of HW. The expectations are way over what children are actually capable of at this age. The tests are very difficult and as a result the grades suffer. The material is taught at a college level... Just sit and listen like a lecture. Most elementary age kids need a more playful approach. The teacher penalizes for every little thing and thinks that learning through negative reinforcement is the right approach. There is absolutely no recess even in the warm months like September, October, and even June. Kids do not move around at all other than during their once a week gym class. Yet they are expected to sit quietly, consecrate and listen to the teacher all day long. I find it ridiculous. No one seems to listen to any complaints or concerns. It's as if no one at this school cares!

Both of my kids are in G&T program. Most of the teachers are excellent! However, 2 years ago one teacher for the 1st grade G&T was a little bit disappointed to us, she doesn't know how to use computer nor email, she doesn't care about the communication with the parents, her requirements for the G&T students were way too easy, and easily made them lost learning interest. Almost all the parents from her class believe that our children wasted that whole year. But, we don't see her recently, not sure if that is a good thing or not. Other than that teacher, two thumbs up for PS 229 elementary teachers, who know how to motivate the G&T kids and make teaching really meaningful and fun.

Last modified Ps 229 Dyker is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.