Posted September 06, 2014
I have 2 children attending this school. My oldest is in 5th grade, my youngest is in 2nd grade. For 6 years I have experienced the unprofesionalism and rudeness of the staff especially parent coordinator Labella. She is not only rude and generally uncaring, but also quick to hurry you along while she tends to the needs of the more desirable parents. Thoes who drive the "right" kind of car or who do not get "free Lunch". I had high expectations of this school. When we enrolled it had the best rating. On my initial visit and like many other parents I was sent away becaus I was not "Zonned for the school". When I came back with a G&T letter stating choice enrolement of any G&T school in NYC their tune changed. The office staff is also very rude, greating you with a "what do you want" and "sit down there" as if it were a detention center and not an elementry school. It seems as though the new principal is trying, but this school has had many principal changes in the last 5 years than. Since my older child will be leaving this institution I am strongly considering pulling my younger child from this school with hopes of a school more accepting of all backgrounds.

Ps 236 Mill Basin 3

Posted April 27, 2014
Well, the most I can say about PS 236 is this: now, as an adult, I can say that the education at PS 236 was an "uneven" experience for me. It wasn't the worst or the best school I've ever attended. I was there from 1979-1984 from 1-5th grades. Things I remember that were good: I LOVED my second grade teacher Helen Nussbaum, who was an AMAZING educator, and encouraged her class to be creative, especially in the Arts & Music. All my other teachers there were so-so. The school was focused on integrating computer learning into it's curriculum for 5th graders, which at the time in 1984 was pretty revolutionary. It was a better school than my JHS ended up being, but compared to the other PS schools in the neighborhood where I grew up, this was a better school. It was fairly far away from my neighborhood, but that was fine. I see that it stil continues to get fairly decent ratings, and ostensibly is still a fairly well run school. One last note: the principal of PS 236 when I attended was a man named Irving Rahinsky, he was a very nice and fair man, and a good principal. I remember him fondly, and so do my parents. All in all, a good school, but there are probably better.

Ps 236 Mill Basin 5

Posted April 25, 2014
As a parent of this fabulous school, I feel that that the staff goes above and beyond their job to help my children succeed. The teachers have devoted countless hours planning exciting lessons and projects to challenge my children. This new and fresh administration truly work as a team. It is transparent that they care about all the children. Since the new principal arrived, my children come home daily and talk about how he has really gotten to know them through one on one conversations. No matter what the weather is, the principal is outside greeting and talking to the parents. The Parent Coordinator has helped me in numerous situations. She is very intelligent about the Common Core Standards in ELA and Math. My children go to school with a big smile this year and I know it is because of all the professional, kind and respectful people at P.S.236. This is the best elementary school around!

Posted April 23, 2014
This school is a complete disaster. The teachers manipulate parents to build cases against other children. The administration is clueless and not involved with the parents. This school treats children so unfairly and the principal is unable to control is mindless teachers. Forget the Parent Coordinator she is a waste! If I could give no stars I would! The school would benefit from a complete change in leadership and a deeper look into some of their teachers practices.

Ps 236 Mill Basin 3

Posted September 06, 2013
The parent coordinator is very nice after you get to know her. Parents should try to be involved in the PA and get to know the school staff. Don't take anything personally. I felt intimated by the parent coordinator when my child started in Kindergarten. I got to know her and she is a nice hardworking women. If there is an issue talk to her privately about the concern and clear the air.

Posted August 27, 2013
As a parent of a kindergartner my greatest objective is to expose her to the best. I'm full of hope and positively enthusiastic about her education. I have researched and read countless articled about the first days of school and getting your child prepared. I'm disappointed to report how discouraging, disrespectful, degrading and unprofessional the parent coordinator was to me. I was completely ambushed and I feel it was racially motivated since I was singled out from all of the parents. I worried after my experience at this school what might my daughters daily experience be like. Is this school really prepared to meet the diverse needs of our children and their futures? Are they prepared to model a standard of excellence for our children? I am very concerned about the people who my child will spend 7 hours a day with, will they encompass the qualities & characteristics of people WE all can value? This school had a reputation years ago of always striving to do better but as for what I have seen just a story to be told of the old days! I'm definitely pursuing other alternatives and its going to be an independent school cause as far as I can tell this school is a negative.

Ps 236 Mill Basin 0

Posted April 13, 2013
The administrative staff at this school is very unprofessional. the Parent Coordinator needs to attend classes on professional development. She is the most rudest person I have ever came in contact with at the DOE. Her negative attitude, unprofessional conduct and rudeness is the reason so many parents are looking into charter schools, parochial institutions and private schools for their children. I am happy to say that my child WILL NOT be attending this school. If the Parent Coordinators attitude reflects the remaining attitudes of the staff and teachers that my child will be in contact with on a daily basis, I want no parts of it. I urge all parents to visit this school before you enroll your child. The Parent Coordinator needs to GO!!!

Ps 236 Mill Basin 4

Posted January 20, 2013
Looking forward to learning more about this school as my daughter is ready to enter Pre-K.

Posted May 29, 2012
For Pre-K you are not required to be zoned for this school; however they sent my husband away when we went to register, and recommended we go to another school which was the same zone as PS 236. I called the school years later and the first question the parent coordinator asked is is this your zone school , and before I could finish and inform her that I am moving, she rudely states this not your zoned school. I guess she knows every street in Brooklyn within their zone without be giving out the zip code. I m sure they are proud of their rating, however to be courteous shouldn t be such a challenge.

Ps 236 Mill Basin 4

Posted February 13, 2012
The principal at this school is dealing with many challenges. Higher standards from the DOE and resistant parents that don't like change. Many of these parents feel the changes going on in the school are personal attacks from the Principal. They fail to realize she gets her orders from the DOE and that she must follow the rules or lose her job! These parents want to be so involved in THEIR childrens lives but they are resistant to the Academic changes going on. Why? Our children are our future we must have high expectations for them and stop fighting change. Work with your kids and stop working against the administration. I think some of these parents should try "homeschool" as many of them have a lot of time on their hands.

Ps 236 Mill Basin
6302 Ave U, Brooklyn, NY  11234
Last modified Ps 236 Mill Basin is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 236 Mill Basin Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews.