Brooklyn, NY
Students enrolled: 1,315

Posted May 19, 2015
Mark Twain school is very good , but only for kids who want to learn. Overall teachers are knowledgeable. Good programs are available for students who want to take advanced classes. Teaching/learning process well organized . School is safe. Probably still the best public middle school in Brooklyn . Cons : Not all advanced classes really teach on advanced level. Classed are over crowded - as result no individual attention to students, no push to get the best out of student, as long as student performance is acceptable . Communication to parents is very limited , unless parents have ability to check school website.

Posted April 29, 2015
Who is admitting to mark twain for drams talent? What is the cut off score?

Posted March 21, 2015
I am in science talent. I am going to Hunter High School only because of my mother. When I go to Hunter, I will miss this place badly.

Posted March 16, 2015
Twain admits 5th-graders not on the basis of their standardized test scores but on their performance on a test or try-out in any one of 11 talent areas. There have been accounts of bullying, though the Learning Environment Survey indicates it remains less of a problem at Twain than at many other schools. A parent told us 6th-graders get about a half an hour of homework a night. A large number of Twain students get admitted to specialized high schools, particularly La Guardia High School, Brooklyn Tech, Stuyvesant and Staten Island Tech. Many also go on to other screened schools, such as Midwood Medical Science Institute, Leon M Goldstein High School for the Sciences Edward R. Murrow and Bard High School Early College.

Posted January 10, 2015
I just graduated from Mark Twain and I miss it a lot. The teachers are supportive, kind, funny, and best of all, good at teaching. Unfortunately, some of my favorite teachers have retired, but the talent system is one to live by. By 8th grade, everyone was extremely developed in their talents and also maintained high GPA's. Most of the students are extremely hard working, hence why we are the largest feeder for specialized high schools (in Brooklyn)! Mark Twain was a great experience and has impacted my life forever. Stay great.

Posted October 02, 2014
I just started Mark Twain and so far I have no complaints. The teachers are very nice. I have learned a lot and I have been in this school for less than one month. The only negative aspect about this school is that the tests are too hard. Although they are hard and you may not do well, they try their bset to help you. I am in Math\Computer talent and I am having a great time there. So far I'm learning programming and the teacher, Mr.Rubin is making it go very smoothly. In Mark Twain, the homework load isn't bad. Mark Twain has enrichment classes wich are fun. That keep students from being bored. If you are planning to go to the school, you have to work a lot. There is a lot of competition and you won't get in with luck. Work hard and you could be a student in this wonderful school.

Posted May 18, 2014
The teachers in general are great, and I learned, but I don't think I'm being challenged enough. Also, the classes aren't organied very well. There's a new cluster that only has two classes and two teachers, while all the other clusters have four classes and four teachers, so there are two teachers teaching the four core subjects. This particular cluster is also picked on a lot by the other clusters. Really, other than my creative writing talent class, I don't think I'm learning very much from this school than I would from any other school. The teachers do try very hard, but I still think this school is overrated.

Posted January 10, 2014
I am currently in this school in 6th grade and i love it the teacher's are funny and nice. I am in vocal talent are teacher is really nice and i learned so much about vocal. The school isn't hard all you have to do is study

Posted December 03, 2013
Mark Twain is great and the staff are very nice, but it's far too stressful. The teachers give way more homework than most of the students can finish in one night, and wind up having to finish it in the auditorium or cafeteria the next morning. You might say that this is our problem with time management, but I think differently. Not only do we have a test practically every week, but they are all piled on top of each other, meaning we have 7 tests in a single week. Most students(like me) live relatively far from the school. I take the train home, and it takes me an hour. Why do I rate this school five stars if it sounds so stressful? Because the teachers are willing to do what ever they can to help you. I had a lot of trouble in math and I was feeling really depressed this year. My teachers realized before I even told my friends. They let me come to tutoring every other day, and I have a 98 average-pretty good compared to my beginning of 87. That's all I really have to say. The staff is amazing and there isn't a single teacher/administrator I didn't like.

Posted September 28, 2013
My son loves mark twain when he was in sixth grade and he had science they did a very cool experiment. These were the steps. 1. Put 5ml of cabbage juice in all the four test tubes. 2. Then we had to put 15 drops of vinegar in one of the test tubes. 3. Then we had to put 15 drops of ammonia in another test tube. 4. We had to put 15 drops of baking soda in the third test tube. 5. The fourth test tube we left alone. The results were, after putting vinegar in the first test tube the cabbage juice turned crimson. Then when we put ammonia the cabbage juice turned into so many colors. Blue,green,lime green,torquoise, and a little bit black. Then finally after putting baking soda into the cabbage juice it turned dark green and it was so fun.

Mark Twain is 239 for the Gifted and Talented
2401 Neptune Avenue, Brooklyn, NY  11224
Last modified Mark Twain is 239 for the Gifted and Talented is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mark Twain is 239 for the Gifted and Talented Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 113 reviews. Top